IGNORED

My Swing (CarlSpackler)

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

They're better. Keep up with the hips forward, and more Key #3 work.

Key #2 and #3 videos at http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php . The "Hips Preset" drill is a good one of course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They're better. Keep up with the hips forward, and more Key #3 work.

Key #2 and #3 videos at http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php . The "Hips Preset" drill is a good one of course.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I warmed up with similar shots last night, but didn't preset the hips. Hopefully I'll get some video doing this drill and some of full shots with an acceptable resolution to upload to Evolvr.

- Shane

• Administrator
You're right. That wasn't the drill at all. :-D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're right. That wasn't the drill at all.

I know. I thought it was, but then watched the video and said, what the hell was that?!!!

- Shane

Shane, I do the exact same thing I like to incorporate my hips into my swing and have always thought it was more natural to swing the hips instead of turn. The drill MVMAC put up had me standing outside going hmmm....seems to me that this is going to be like breaking a bad habit. Just going to have to stick to it;)

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

Analysis came back and he only had some nitpicky (as he called it) things, but didn't see anything major that was wrong. Apparently he didn't see my big gut hanging out there. =) Ball position a smidgen too far back and posture should still be slumped over more (head down looking at the ball). With my back/neck issues, this might be as good as it gets, but I'll certainly try. The other thing was to straighten (post?) my left leg at impact to get more power. He was not concerned about key #3.

Here is a video of me trying the hip preset drill last night. This is one of the shorter swings in the lot, but it still looks like I'm going back and through too far. @iacas?

- Shane

Well if you worry about going back to far. Set your hands were you want them in the backswing. So don't start from address, start from position A6 (club parallel to the ground in the backswing). Then do a small pump with the club and fire through.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well if you worry about going back to far. Set your hands were you want them in the backswing. So don't start from address, start from position A6 (club parallel to the ground in the backswing). Then do a small pump with the club and fire through.

My primary concern is getting the move right. I'm not sure if the length is overly critical or not. In the video, Erik is much more abbreviated back and through than I am. I think this was much better than my first attempt if nothing else.

- Shane

• Administrator

My primary concern is getting the move right. I'm not sure if the length is overly critical or not. In the video, Erik is much more abbreviated back and through than I am. I think this was much better than my first attempt if nothing else.

It was a lot better.

To nit-pick (the drill) myself: push your hips farther forward, with less rotation. Compare your setup to mine and you'll find your left hip is still inside the outer edge of your ankle, and your hips are well left of the target. Then leave them there throughout whatever very short backswing that allows you to make.

But this one was a lot better.

Analysis came back and he only had some nitpicky (as he called it) things, but didn't see anything major that was wrong. Apparently he didn't see my big gut hanging out there. =) Ball position a smidgen too far back and posture should still be slumped over more (head down looking at the ball). With my back/neck issues, this might be as good as it gets, but I'll certainly try. The other thing was to straighten (post?) my left leg at impact to get more power. He was not concerned about key #3.

Just wanted to say that I really like how you drop the club inside!  Also, it is great news and it is re-assuring when you get that kind of comment from these guys because they know their stuff..

With the drill you are working on I am to assume that your priority piece is Key#2 and the nitpicky stuff is just little things to clean things up a bit am I correct?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Just wanted to say that I really like how you drop the club inside!  Also, it is great news and it is re-assuring when you get that kind of comment from these guys because they know their stuff..

With the drill you are working on I am to assume that your priority piece is Key#2 and the nitpicky stuff is just little things to clean things up a bit am I correct?

Thanks!

The nit-picky things were:

Ball position. Maybe camera angle related though, and it does seem further back in the video than where I usually have it. It could be that I was setting up weird that day.

Posture where my eyes are looking more down at the ball as @mvmac pointed out early on. Not sure how much more I can go. My left shoulder already rubs my chin . I'll keep working on increasing flexibility and loosing the belly and double chin. =) I also noticed that my feet, especially the left, is not flared out much.

Straightening the left leg at impact for more power.

#2 was definitely not a priority piece in the Evolvr feedback. Because my left leg is staying flexed at impact, he said I might be at risk of having too much weight forward and too much shaft lean. Could be ball position related too. #1 was priority with my driver, but he thought it was fine with my irons. I've been working on it, so I need to submit another driver swing to see where that is.

- Shane

Posture where my eyes are looking more down at the ball as @mvmac pointed out early on. Not sure how much more I can go. My left shoulder already rubs my chin . I'll keep working on increasing flexibility and loosing the belly and double chin. =) I also noticed that my feet, especially the left, is not flared out much.

Just a little more detail on that. What really helps get the eyes down is "softening" the upper back. You tend to stand too upright, will almost feel like the chest is caved in, shoulders are rounded inwards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just a little more detail on that. What really helps get the eyes down is "softening" the upper back. You tend to stand too upright, will almost feel like the chest is caved in, shoulders are rounded inwards.

So the torso should tilt forward more and shoulders should pull back?

- Shane

• Administrator

So the torso should tilt forward more and shoulders should pull back?

The shoulders most definitely should not pull back. They should feel rounded down/in/forward.

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!