IGNORED

My Swing (Royster1984)

Royster1984
Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Seriously since April 2013, I did go to the driving range for a couple of sessions about 8 years prior to this but never continued playing, mainly because I did not have anyone to play with.

My current handicap index or average score is: 20.1, hoping to get it down to 16 by end of this season.

My typical ball flight is: 6i-58 degree wedge is a draw, 5i-Driver is low hook.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Low hook with long irons really struggling to hit my 4i and hybrid at the minute

Videos:

Driver Practice Swing (Back View) 30.4.2014

Driver Practice Swing (Front View) 30.4.2014

Sorry that I have only uploaded practice swing videos I wont get chance to get down to the golf club to hit some balls till Friday but I will upload some more then.

I am looking for some help to stop my club face shutting on the back swing.

If possible, try to submit videos where you're hitting a ball, better for analyzing what's going on.

Key #1 for sure. Your pivot is too much "around" and you need to add more bend with your left side.

More on what I mean, good video to check out

So your head moves too far to the right because of the way you body works. This also gets the club head to work too much inside you hands on the takeaway.

Like the video illustrates, left side needs to "bend" more. Notice the difference in how the shoulders are working to keep the head steady.

As you get better at this, you'll actually end up turning more (green line).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If possible, try to submit videos where you're hitting a ball, better for analyzing what's going on.

Key #1 for sure. Your pivot is too much "around" and you need to add more bend with your left side.

More on what I mean, good video to check out

So your head moves too far to the right because of the way you body works. This also gets the club head to work too much inside you hands on the takeaway.

Like the video illustrates, left side needs to "bend" more. Notice the difference in how the shoulders are working to keep the head steady.

As you get better at this, you'll actually end up turning more (green line).

Thanks for reply, I will be sure to put this to practice over the next few weeks.

I am going to do some more videos tomorrow when I play at my local course. I was just at home and thought I will get some feedback of a few practice swings.

• 2 months later...

I took some footage of my swing while on the practice ground today at my local club. Sadly some of the footage is not very good as I did not have the camera far enough back to see ball on some swings but I have uploaded the best of what I can salvage from it. Schoolboy camera error :D

I am still working on key 1 but after any little pointers people can throw at me, Thanks Anthony.

Driver Side View

Driver Back View (Sorry For Poor Video, Cut Ball Out By Accident)

PW Back View

I'm no expert, but one thing struck me in watching the slo mo video.  The clubhead seems to get way ahead of your hands at impact.  Here's a pic that shows your left wrist broken down after impact.

I'll leave it to the pros to figure out if or how to fix it.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I'm no expert, but one thing struck me in watching the slo mo video.  The clubhead seems to get way ahead of your hands at impact.  Here's a pic that shows your left wrist broken down after impact.

I'll leave it to the pros to figure out if or how to fix it.

My only take is that your elbows break apart right after impact (at least that's the only reason I can see why your lead elbow is out and lead wrist is bent so much). You seem okay at impact, but the frame jumps past the actual impact position.

From the sound of the strike, you seem to make pretty decent contact with the ball.

Agree, that the experts should know better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My only take is that your elbows break apart right after impact (at least that's the only reason I can see why your lead elbow is out and lead wrist is bent so much). You seem okay at impact, but the frame jumps past the actual impact position.

From the sound of the strike, you seem to make pretty decent contact with the ball.

Agree, that the experts should know better.

I've always struggled with my left wrist braking down I do try and focus on keeping it flat but does not alway work.

Well I am definitely not a pro but I have .02 :-)

I think the grip you are using is too weak for your swing, it looks like you are trying to square up the club with your hands/arms and not rotation, this causes you to not get much turn in your back swing and have the chicken wing wrap around finish. It sounds funny but if you tried a much stronger grip I would bet you get a better turn and opposite to what you might think the ball wont hook.

Its gonna feel strange but I would try a strong grip at the range for a few buckets and see what happens.

Just a thought.

Well I am definitely not a pro but I have .02

I think the grip you are using is too weak for your swing, it looks like you are trying to square up the club with your hands/arms and not rotation, this causes you to not get much turn in your back swing and have the chicken wing wrap around finish. It sounds funny but if you tried a much stronger grip I would bet you get a better turn and opposite to what you might think the ball wont hook.

Its gonna feel strange but I would try a strong grip at the range for a few buckets and see what happens.

Just a thought.

+1 on this one. I was just looking at your videos and noticed the same thing at setup.

Here's a video showing some drills that seemed to help me.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

As part of my on-going battle with my driving I am back seeking more advice.

The issues i am tackling at the minute is getting the ball airbourne, My drives are like low stingers which land like 200 yards and roll out like 50 yards. They go about as height as the roof of a 2 story house as a rough guideline.

Here is a picture of my setup just in case there is which might need adjusting.

I went for a lesson with my local golf coach and he was trying to get me to open my clubface more in the backswing as I was closing it at the top position (25 degrees at top of backswing on avg). I am finding this really hard and a low handicap friend suggested that he think's I also have too much weight on my front foot.

Many Thanks

Anthony

Here is a picture of my setup just in case there is which might need adjusting.

Hi Anthony, I would highly recommend you check out this thread. Definitely have to make some changes with the set-up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hi Anthony, I would highly recommend you check out this thread. Definitely have to make some changes with the set-up.

Thanks for the reply, i had a good read of the thread this morning before going to play and tried it out on the course and just making a few small adjustments in my setup helped alot in getting the ball alot more airbourne. Just need to square it up a touch as i was pulling a few.

• 8 months later...

Managed to get some better footage, same problems still exist. Have not had much chance to practice in last few months due to family and work but got some time for next few months to go at it hard.

So any other pointers are greatly recieved :D

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!