IGNORED

DESPERATE HELP for chipping and lobbing

Note: This thread is 3618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read in one of the golf mags he was talking about ball position when chipping - he said play the ball forward or back in your stance never in the middle.

I still don't understand. Why does he say middle of the stance is bad. And before you said "forward for high, soft" but now you're talking about chipping with the ball forward. I'm really not following you here.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but middle is good for mid-trajectory with some run out (depending on lie and what club you're using of course). Also, if I'm chipping a 9iron, I prefer middle because a back ball position delofts too much and it's hard to control distance. Ball comes off too hot.

[quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/74464/desperate-help-for-chipping-and-lobbing#post_991342"] What do you mean by "not middle of the road?" Sorry, I don't understand.  [/quote] [quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/74464/desperate-help-for-chipping-and-lobbing#post_991348"] I still don't understand. Why does he say middle of the stance is bad. And before you said "forward for high, soft" but now you're talking about chipping with the ball forward. I'm really not following you here.  [/quote] Check out Phil Mickelson shares setup tips for chip shots on golf channel.

Why do some people think they should just make a thread about a personal swing flaw instead of researching within this site? I know lots of members like to help others and that's fine but this is sort of annoying in a way like @KyleAnthony was.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, but middle is good for mid-trajectory with some run out (depending on lie and what club you're using of course). Also, if I'm chipping a 9iron, I prefer middle because a back ball position delofts too much and it's hard to control distance. Ball comes off too hot.

Quote:

What do you mean by "not middle of the road?" Sorry, I don't understand.

Quote:

I still don't understand. Why does he say middle of the stance is bad. And before you said "forward for high, soft" but now you're talking about chipping with the ball forward. I'm really not following you here.

Check out Phil Mickelson shares setup tips for chip shots on golf channel.

Ok, first you said it was in a golf magazine. Now you're saying it's on golf channel. And you're making me looking for it. No links whatsoever.

You are being extremely unhelpful here.

Constantine

Ok, first you said it was in a golf magazine. Now you're saying it's on golf channel. And you're making me looking for it. No links whatsoever.

Mickelson talks about ball position with chipping in his DVD series.  I don't recall him ever saying "never in the middle".  He mainly talked two points; position will affect ball height and to always keep your hands going to the target when chipping.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It is so weird, i nver check my ball position whenever i chip, just realised it today before answering this thread, i actually place it in front of my left chest :-O Tried to put it a bit behind and a bit forward, funny thing is it doesnt alter the distance too much, but the ball trajectory did change. Behind is more low trajectory and front is more high trajectory, hmm am i missing something here guys ? I feel like i found a new arsenal around the green now :-P

If you have carpet, practice chipping into a recliner or laundry basket.    I developed a solid chipping game over the winter doing this, which has transferred to the course nicely.      Biggest takeaway I can give you ... KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL.    It's human nature to lift our head through impact - really stare it down.   Keep FIRM wrists - limp wristed chipping will not go well ... practice practice practice - its the one part of the game (other than maybe carpet putting) you can work on indoors.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/ph-lop-shot-mickelsons-short-game-setup-tips/

Thanks. Well, then I disagree with what Phil is saying here. Like he says, if you distribute your weight evenly, you can play the ball middle. I don't see what's so bad about that. Plus, James taught me to play chips more middle and it's worked wonders for my short game, more so than any of Phil's hinge and hold stuff.

Phil's discussion is too simplistic here and a bit irresponsible IMO.

Constantine

There ain't no one perfect technique around the green. There are many ways to play the shot and your skill level and confidence will determine the result. Phil M has way more techniques, skills and confidence inputs than we do so his results will, usually, be superior to ours. Choose a technique, cultivate the skill and grow the confidence.

Quote:

Mickelson talks about ball position with chipping in his DVD series.  I don't recall him ever saying "never in the middle".  He mainly talked two points; position will affect ball height and to always keep your hands going to the target when chipping.

Just a feel, but I had been having a tad of an issue yanking chips and pitches left, and this helped me a lot. Thanks, Boogie/Fil. :-)

Constantine

Just a feel, but I had been having a tad of an issue yanking chips and pitches left, and this helped me a lot. Thanks, Boogie/Fil.

It is a good quick fix feel.  A friend of mine was struggling and I told him this.  He chipped much better the rest of the round.  I think it helps to move weight forward too because you are thinking the hands have to go forward so you shift your weight.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Just a feel, but I had been having a tad of an issue yanking chips and pitches left, and this helped me a lot. Thanks, Boogie/Fil.

It is a good quick fix feel.  A friend of mine was struggling and I told him this.  He chipped much better the rest of the round.  I think it helps to move weight forward too because you are thinking the hands have to go forward so you shift your weight.

Haha, in my case, I actually think this is going to be a staple of my game now. Don't think it's a quick fix. It's a feel, but I like it a lot.

Constantine

Haha, in my case, I actually think this is going to be a staple of my game now. Don't think it's a quick fix. It's a feel, but I like it a lot.

Try adding the thought that the chip is controlled by your left hand (Dave Stockton).  I use this.  I keep my left hand grip firm and relax the right.  I also use the same slight motorcycling palmar flexion that I use for full shots.  I make really good contact that way.  This is only for chips of course.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Try adding the thought that the chip is controlled by your left hand (Dave Stockton).  I use this.  I keep my left hand grip firm and relax the right.  I also use the same slight motorcycling palmar flexion that I use for full shots.  I make really good contact that way.  This is only for chips of course.

James has worked with me on this quite a bit, and I'm actually a good chipper now. I was just pulling my hands left for some reason so "towards the target" helped me a ton. I tend to pull everything left with every club, putter to driver, so it makes sense with chipping I'd have that problem too.

James' technique actually has me never palmar flexing at all. He wants me to feel cupping post-impact to expose a little bounce and increase my margin for error (even when chipping with a 9-iron). Works wonders... and oh yea, you gotta play the ball in the middle of your stance or slightly forward of middle :-P

The stock Golf Evolution chipping technique isn't 100% leading edge and literally palmar flexing kind of removes the bounce aspect. You can definitely chip that way, don't get me wrong, but in my experience, the ball tends to jump too much off the face and the club doesn't brush the ground -- it tends to dig. The clubface gets delofted and distance control can be become more challenging. Cupping slightly after in the follow-thru and playing the ball more middle or slightly forward in your stance also helps preserve the loft of the club so you aren't turning a 9-iron into a 6-iron. Or a SW into a 9-iron.

Anyway, it really is a wonderful technique they teach you.

Constantine

James has worked with me on this quite a bit, and I'm actually a good chipper now. I was just pulling my hands left for some reason so "towards the target" helped me a ton. I tend to pull everything left with every club, putter to driver, so it makes sense with chipping I'd have that problem too.

James' technique actually has me never palmar flexing at all. He wants me to feel cupping post-impact to expose a little bounce and increase my margin for error (even when chipping with a 9-iron). Works wonders... and oh yea, you gotta play the ball in the middle of your stance or slightly forward of middle

The stock Golf Evolution chipping technique isn't 100% leading edge and literally palmar flexing kind of removes the bounce aspect. You can definitely chip that way, don't get me wrong, but in my experience, the ball tends to jump too much off the face and the club doesn't brush the ground -- it tends to dig. The clubface gets delofted and distance control can be become more challenging. Cupping slightly after in the follow-thru and playing the ball more middle or slightly forward in your stance also helps preserve the loft of the club so you aren't turning a 9-iron into a 6-iron. Or a SW into a 9-iron.

Agree.  This is specifically for the low running chip with the ball back in the stance.  I use their pitch technique for everything else including the "Pip" or whatever we decided to call the chip with using the bounce like a pitch? :whistle:

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

James' technique actually has me never palmar flexing at all. He wants me to feel cupping post-impact to expose a little bounce and increase my margin for error (even when chipping with a 9-iron). Works wonders... and oh yea, you gotta play the ball in the middle of your stance or slightly forward of middle

Agree.  This is specifically for the low running chip with the ball back in the stance.  I use their pitch technique for everything else including the "Pip" or whatever we decided to call the chip with using the bounce like a pitch?

Ah ha yes, okay.

Actually, I was recently practicing the back in my stance chip with my 56 degree SW the other day for short shots from the rough. I liked the results more than playing it middle or more forward (I'm talking about being close to the hole, but in the rough). Anyone disagree with what I was doing? Seems like a good situation to use a back ball position.

Edit: Maybe I should start a thread for this specific question?

Constantine

Note: This thread is 3618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!