IGNORED

Play until ball is holed, or concede hole? Rules and Slow Play

late347
Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am playing stableford scoring...

I had a situation of sorts like this on last Sunday, really difficult course, difficult greens, for a high handicapper....

Our group had 3 guys in total...

1. As a high handicapper I can still sometimes lower my own hcp even with lousy scores like snowmen etc... (on those difficult holes)

2. Officially it would be the responsibility of the marker person, to decide, whether I'm able to gather stableford points from the hole, is this correct?

3. We have been playing and keeping score of each of our own strokes so far. So, my dad keeps his own score, and I keep my own score, but we sign the cards afterwards, no problems.

4. My dad doesn't know how to calculate, whether a certain stroke number at a hole, would actually gather any stableford points. My dad isn't so good at mathematics, I suppose. He just uses some online calculator thingy.

5. I suppose, official golf rules say that you must play until ball is holed, ain't that right?

6. Should I keep playing the hole, as long as I can gather stableford points, from that specific hole?

7. Otherwise, if you get zero stableford points, then of course there is no point in playing the hole anymore (because you get zero stableford points, and thus no negative)

8. For practical purposes, I suppose I could check out the club course rating and slope, and calculate myself, how many strokes I can allow for each hole, before going to play? That way I can make the calculations at home and already know beforehand how many strokes I allow myself for each hole, at the club course?

All your marker has to do is record the number of strokes you take at each hole and sign your card;  all you as the player have to do is check the correct score is recorded at each hole, ensure your correct handicap is on it ,  sign and submit your card.  The committee is responsible for adding up scores, working out net scores or stableford  points.  It's certainly a good idea to know at which holes you are due a stroke or strokes but it's up to you alone to work out whether you can still make a point at a hole and decide  to pick up when you can't.  In Stableford you do not have to hole out if there is no chance of a point and certainly here we encourage players to pick up in that situation in order to save time.

And this is CONGU/EGA related HC question, not USGA. Just to be clear.

CONGU does not use slope but in any event this has universal application, as it is not necessarily related to handicapping per se, just stableford scoring.

I should say to keep things moving pick up if you can't score. Only if you play official stroke play you MUST hole out no matter what score you get even double figures

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I should say to keep things moving pick up if you can't score. Only if you play official stroke play you MUST hole out no matter what score you get even double figures

Yes, stableford does not require you to complete the hole. (Medal) stroke play does.

Note: This thread is 3632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!