IGNORED

My Swing (virtuoso)

virtuoso
Note: This thread is 2270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

How about some face on !! 

Seems you come in steeper than optimal to the ball. 

Yeah I get a little narrow and steep coming down. I'm usually -5.5 ish w/ 7 iron on TM.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Yeah I get a little narrow and steep coming down. I'm usually -5.5 ish w/ 7 iron on TM.

PGA Tour average is -4.3°, as you probably know. And plenty of guys are -5.5°.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, iacas said:

PGA Tour average is -4.3°, as you probably know. And plenty of guys are -5.5°.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes sir. I'm a little more concerned with my sequencing in transition which causes me to get a smidge narrow coming down. My arms are still moving back and hinging the club when my hips start moving forward and opening. It kind of yanks my head down and the upper arms move behind the torso as they wait for the slack to get pulled out. That narrows the radius, but also the torso can only open a certain amount and then has to stop and wait for the arms to now catch up and get out in front. Its those out-of sync movements that concern me more than the AOA per se. It doesn't look that bad on the range but it gets really bad on the course.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

It doesn't look that bad on the range but it gets really bad on the course.

That I'll believe, as it doesn't look too bad, you're right, from what we can see.

What feelings help alleviate that? Do you feel that you start down with the hands/arms? Pause to "gather" things at the top? What works for you?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, virtuoso said:

It doesn't look that bad on the range but it gets really bad on the course.

What's the issue on the course?

Pulls and occasional wipes?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I have discovered the problem....you are practicing in winter in short sleeves! You need to get a large winter jacket which will restrict your backswing. It'll fix everything.

Michael

18 hours ago, iacas said:

That I'll believe, as it doesn't look too bad, you're right, from what we can see.

What feelings help alleviate that? Do you feel that you start down with the hands/arms? Pause to "gather" things at the top? What works for you?

yeah, both of those and i try to get my hips to move laterally a little more before they spin left. The magic pill is to just hit the 7 iron 135 yards instead of 165. That makes it look really nice. So, when and how I try move things fast is a big part of the problem. The "feel" of trying to move things fast later tends to be better.

13 hours ago, mvmac said:

What's the issue on the course?

Pulls and occasional wipes?

Mike, typically a lot of pulls and pull draws with the irons, and when I try to hit the driver hard, I tip the shaft over in transition even more, and then stand up out of my angles. Can become a drop-kick toe-hook.

How about FO and DTL Driver swings ? 

The longer clubs show more details.

i think your swing is quite solid.

D431351F-D8E5-4DF7-A1C3-5E9A33E12976.thumb.jpeg.e1432d94c2f8d9e9d4421f323b575a52.jpegC9DD574D-E848-4BAE-9E9F-95DCF0D1335F.jpeg.37f7655571e62dc37a799e4f1779a1b1.jpeg

6 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Mike, typically a lot of pulls and pull draws with the irons, and when I try to hit the driver hard,

Let’s see this. Or any Driver swings ?

13 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Mike, typically a lot of pulls and pull draws with the irons, and when I try to hit the driver hard, I tip the shaft over in transition even more, and then stand up out of my angles. Can become a drop-kick toe-hook.

Gotcha. One thing I might suggest is to experiment with the trail arm looking more like this

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.38.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.52.16 PM.png

Instead of this,

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.40.07 PM.png

You have a great move but I wonder if you might benefit with having the trail shoulder closer to neutral rather than external at 4.

I'd be curious to see the results of going neutral then external into 5. Closer to Mac, Grant or Tiger 2000, basically forearm less vertical so you can dynamically achiever ER into 5.

Going ER to ER can work for narrow chested long armed players like Sergio or DJ but if player isn’t flexible enough, they won't be able to "hold" the ER and they'll steepen (positive beta) too early causing the pulls.

Grant and Mac are thicker in the chest/shoulders and that's why you don't see them ER early. I'd say you have a similar body type to them.

• Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Going ER to ER can work for narrow chested long armed players like Sergio or DJ but if player isn’t flexible enough, they won't be able to "hold" the ER and they'll steepen (positive beta) too early causing the pulls.

Or the paragon of narrow chested, long armed players… The Duff. ;-)

(Not trying to interrupt; just giving myself a chuckle. :-D)

13 hours ago, virtuoso said:

What are you trying to illustrate with the pics?

I’m trying to find some faults unsuccessfully.

It looks like you love trying different camera angles. Make sure you try the rearview although your hip action looks ? 

Edited by SunkTheBirdie

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Gotcha. One thing I might suggest is to experiment with the trail arm looking more like this

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.38.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 10.52.16 PM.png

Instead of this,

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.40.07 PM.png

You have a great move but I wonder if you might benefit with having the trail shoulder closer to neutral rather than external at 4.

I'd be curious to see the results of going neutral then external into 5. Closer to Mac, Grant or Tiger 2000, basically forearm less vertical so you can dynamically achiever ER into 5.

Grant and Mac are thicker in the chest/shoulders and that's why you don't see them ER early. I'd say you have a similar body type to them.

Thanks Mike, I think I mostly agree with that. I wanted to experiment with slightly more shoulder flexion at p 3.5 to maintain the stretch across the system....and the radius. Also adding a little external might be the play. I definitely get jammed in with the elbow and can’t hold it. Good call.

22 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

I’m trying to find some faults unsuccessfully.

It looks like you love trying different camera angles. Make sure you try the rearview although your hip action looks ? 

Well if you are looking for faults, driver swings are definitely the way to expose them. Sunk, are you an instructor?

Note: This thread is 2270 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!