IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Yah, but if a person only make decent contact, that's probably a big factor in why they regularly miss left and right because a highly doubt there are players that are trying to break 100 that make good, consistent contact.

Agreed. I think when we use words like "decent" it can mean different things to different people. If I talk about having a round where I made "good" or "decent' contact, that's not relevant to the kind of contact good players make, that's relevant to the normal, inconsistent contact I'm accustomed to.

Don't know if I read it here at TST or in LSW, but average golfers sometimes describe themselves as "good" ball strikers yet score in 80's. Now you and I might kill for that type of game, but to the better players, they are no where near good ball strikers or they'd be shooting in the 70's.

But you're right, on the rounds where I've broken 100, there was relatively "good" contact with all my clubs, I wasn't missing easy putts and there was a bit of luck sprinkled in there.

I've also had rounds without any fat, shanked, or topped iron shots but wayward driver and fairway wood shots cost me enough penalties and/or my putting was really bad and I failed to break 100.

I think we had a few back and forth posts on that topic here quite a few times. Good ball striking is pretty good. The people who can claim good ball striking are usually able to shoot in the low 70s and high 60s.

It would be interesting to have a rate your own ball striking thread and have people of different handicaps post DTL videos of their strikes and walk to their landing positions.

Ball striking by handicap would be interesting.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agreed. I think when we use words like "decent" it can mean different things to different people. If I talk about having a round where I made "good" or "decent' contact, that's not relevant to the kind of contact good players make, that's relevant to the normal, inconsistent contact I'm accustomed to. Don't know if I read it here at TST or in LSW, but average golfers sometimes describe themselves as "good" ball strikers yet score in 80's. Now you and I might kill for that type of game, but to the better players, they are no where near good ball strikers or they'd be shooting in the 70's. But you're right, on the rounds where I've broken 100, there was relatively "good" contact with all my clubs, I wasn't missing easy putts and there was a bit of luck sprinkled in there. I've also had rounds without any fat, shanked, or topped iron shots but wayward driver and fairway wood shots cost me enough penalties and/or my putting was really bad and I failed to break 100.

When I think of the word, "decent," I of something that's ok or passable but not good. Sure that can be relative to a person's skill level, but I think for the knowledgeable golfer, a person that only makes decent contact won't be shooting low scores and to shoot low scores, making good contact is a prerequisite. Hence why one should probably focus on Keys 1-3 if they're trying to consistently break 100.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

It would be interesting to have a rate your own ball striking thread and have people of different handicaps post DTL videos of their strikes and walk to their landing positions. Ball striking by handicap would be interesting.

Start the thread!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm convinced I could take a 6 or 7 iron + PW + putter and break 90. I'd have close to 100% FIRs. Probably about 4 GIRs. Maybe get up and down on a few holes. There'd be a couple DBs in there. But there'd be mostly bogeys.

If you can hit a 7 iron 150 and you're playing off ladies' tees, maybe. But off men's tees I don't think you stand a chance of breaking 90. I basically followed this strategy today (only hit 5 iron off tee) but hitting 5 and 6 irons into greens, and sometimes having to lay up on par 4s means you have to be really accurate on approaches and around the green. More accurate than the typical breaking bad club member is, I suspect. If I could hit my driver halfway decent, breaking 100 today would have been straightforward.

If you can hit a 7 iron 150 and you're playing off ladies' tees, maybe. But off men's tees I don't think you stand a chance of breaking 90.

I basically followed this strategy today (only hit 5 iron off tee) but hitting 5 and 6 irons into greens, and sometimes having to lay up on par 4s means you have to be really accurate on approaches and around the green. More accurate than the typical breaking bad club member is, I suspect.

If I could hit my driver halfway decent, breaking 100 today would have been straightforward.

Afraid to tell you but I honestly think he would have atleast 90% chance of breaking 90 because he would definitely eliminate big numbers unless hes tries to play from 7000 yard tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf-noob-bruce

If you can hit a 7 iron 150 and you're playing off ladies' tees, maybe. But off men's tees I don't think you stand a chance of breaking 90.

I basically followed this strategy today (only hit 5 iron off tee) but hitting 5 and 6 irons into greens, and sometimes having to lay up on par 4s means you have to be really accurate on approaches and around the green. More accurate than the typical breaking bad club member is, I suspect.

If I could hit my driver halfway decent, breaking 100 today would have been straightforward.

Afraid to tell you but I honestly think he would have atleast 90% chance of breaking 90 because he would definitely eliminate big numbers unless hes tries to play from 7000 yard tips.

I tend to agree with this assessment, except that @DrvFrShow 's name is Julia. :-)

A typical course layout for 15 handicap and above will have lots of 260-350 yard par 4 with one or two 400-420 yard par 4. The par 5 are typically 450-490 yards (some are even less) which is 3 long shots with possibly one scramble. On most of the normal holes you don't even have to lose an extra stroke. 90 strokes allows you to play bogey on every hole, which means you can miss almost every scramble.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I tend to agree with this assessment, except that @DrvFrShow 's name is Julia.

A typical course layout for 15 handicap and above will have lots of 260-350 yard par 4 with one or two 400-420 yard par 4. The par 5 are typically 450-490 yards (some are even less) which is 3 long shots with possibly one scramble. On most of the normal holes you don't even have to lose an extra stroke. 90 strokes allows you to play bogey on every hole, which means you can miss almost every scramble.

Oh my bad.Definately then Julia would break 90 fairly easy unless she just cant putt then it might be harder.350 yard hole hit with 2 150 yard 6 irons only leave 50 yards and a Pw should get it atleast on fringe or green and have 2 putts for a bogey.I tried playing 6000 yard course by teeing off with 175 yard 4 iron shot every hole and shot 73 and really only used that 4 iron,Pw and maybe 9 or 8 iron few times but I shot 73 not anywhere near a 90 so even with 6 iron,Pw I probably would still break 80 and that course had small greens no more than 700 SQ ft.

"ar least 90% chance of breaking 90"

So what's stopping the folks on this thread from breaking 100 (never mind 90)? Ego?

Fairly simple answer to that.Bad ball striking,mental errors and bad putting.You have to make decent contact with ball by advancing it forward and not sideways or chunking shots.Cant be 3 putting and trying things you shouldn't.If you are getting the ball within 10-20 yards of green on your approach shotys then 90 shouldn't be too much trouble.

So what's stopping the folks on this thread from breaking 100 (never mind 90)? Ego?

Probably the fact that no shot is that solid.

Two years ago, if someone told me to hit my 7i two times rather than driver, I would have looked at them funny. If my driver was not that solid, my irons didn't have a chance. The ability to hit a consistent iron up to 160 yards will allow you to break 90 at least once or twice.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Oh my bad.Definately then Julia would break 90 fairly easy unless she just cant putt then it might be harder.350 yard hole hit with 2 150 yard 6 irons only leave 50 yards and a Pw should get it atleast on fringe or green and have 2 putts for a bogey.I tried playing 6000 yard course by teeing off with 175 yard 4 iron shot every hole and shot 73 and really only used that 4 iron,Pw and maybe 9 or 8 iron few times but I shot 73 not anywhere near a 90 so even with 6 iron,Pw I probably would still break 80 and that course had small greens no more than 700 SQ ft.

And your profile says you're playing off 8.5, not someone struggling to break 100... I think you guys are forgetting how hard this game is for beginners. People struggling to break 100 are not consistently hitting 150 yard 6 iron approach shots, even from the middle of the fairway.

And your profile says you're playing off 8.5, not someone struggling to break 100...

I think you guys are forgetting how hard this game is for beginners. People struggling to break 100 are not consistently hitting 150 yard 6 iron approach shots, even from the middle of the fairway.

I will not argue with you there.Yes I probably have forgot how hard it is for beginners but that's because I deal with scoring problems and decision making now more than making contact with ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflighter

And your profile says you're playing off 8.5, not someone struggling to break 100...

I think you guys are forgetting how hard this game is for beginners. People struggling to break 100 are not consistently hitting 150 yard 6 iron approach shots, even from the middle of the fairway.

Nope, I do remember.

The issue I had was that if I messed up my tee shot, that was pretty much it for the hole. I once made 4 pars in a row, then nothing for the longest time. Then 6 pars in a row, then more bad playing.

The only real answer is to learn to improve your swing mechanics such that you have the same shot every time. Some might go shorter or even go left/right, but for the most part head towards the hole in a significant manner. A good swing will build up your confidence.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Don't know that I could break 100 with just my irons but I don't think it's ego that's kept me from trying. I want to get better with all my clubs. It seems that whenever my irons are on, my driver and woods aren't. And the opposite is sometimes true. On the last round of 2014 I hit something like 11 of 14 fairways - the majority of those coming off my driver. Unfortunately, my iron and short games were so bad that day I still failed to break 100.

But lets say I could get to the point of consistently shooting in the 90's using just my irons. What chance would I have of ever getting much better than that? Not to mention it's just plain fun to hit a driver off the tee and a 3 or 5w off a fairway lie.

I might try an iron-only round next season just for grins and if so, will post the results. But I don't think I'd have a snowball's chance in hell of breaking 90. For many of us high cappers, it's about the lack of consistency even with irons. Making good contact doesn't always equate to staying out of trouble.

Jon

Don't know that I could break 100 with just my irons but I don't think it's ego that's kept me from trying.

Yeah man, I feel your pain. And apologies. I didn't mean to imply that I actually thought that ego was the reason people can't break 100. It wasn't clear from my comment (was having trouble quoting a post on my phone), but my "ego" comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to other posts saying that one could relatively easily break 90 just by sticking to playing with irons.

Yeah man, I feel your pain. And apologies. I didn't mean to imply that I actually thought that ego was the reason people can't break 100.

It wasn't clear from my comment (was having trouble quoting a post on my phone), but my "ego" comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to other posts saying that one could relatively easily break 90 just by sticking to playing with irons.

No, I didn't take it as anything negative. :beer:

I understood your point and I completely agree. If breaking 100 were as easy as changing clubs, this thread wouldn't exist.

There seems to be a lot of folks who play far better with their irons than their driver and woods. I'm just not one of them (I suck at both). My point was that if I was, I'd still prefer to sacrifice lower scores now in order to improve with the clubs that might provide better scores in the next couple of years. That's the plan anyway.

Jon

Note: This thread is 1353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!