IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to give this a try. It is sad how many puts in this range I have missed in the last couple of weeks. I am never long and I often exagerate the break because of under hitting the ball.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by bshalcomb

Lastly, 99 times out of 100 on munies if a putt is 5 feet or less , aim dead center of the cup and putt it in with just a teeny bit of extra speed (best putting advice i ever got).

I am going to give this a try. It is sad how many puts in this range I have missed in the last couple of weeks. I am never long and I often exagerate the break because of under hitting the ball.

If you're going to miss a short breaking putt, miss it on the high side. Your miss will be less severe.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I never attempt a flop shot. My pitches already give me enough trouble. I too am going to go straight for the cup more on close putts. I've found myself over analyzing those lately and missing in the direction that I am compensating. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the difference between a flop shot and a full shot with my 60 degree? Last round I was behind a huge shrub about 40 yds off the green. I hit my lob wedge as if it were a normal swing just with about a 3/4 backswing and the ball got up quick, over the shrub and about 8 feet from the pin. I didn't swing any different just used the lob wedge(which I only really use out of firm bunkers) and was pleased with the results.....missed the par putt

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

What's the difference between a flop shot and a full shot with my 60 degree? Last round I was behind a huge shrub about 40 yds off the green. I hit my lob wedge as if it were a normal swing just with about a 3/4 backswing and the ball got up quick, over the shrub and about 8 feet from the pin. I didn't swing any different just used the lob wedge(which I only really use out of firm bunkers) and was pleased with the results.....missed the par putt

A flop, to me, is a "specialized" shot mainly intended to get over a hazzard, like a green side bunker.

A full shot with a highly lofted club is like any other shot...tho i don't recommend it on a tight lie.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Easiest way to explain it is to YouTube Mickelson's shot.

Personally, I will usually not even attempt it.  I'd rather get a bogey on a hole than bring any big numbers into play.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Yeah flop shots/ lob wedges are overused. Gotta have the ball sitting up AND be hitting to a really tight pin uphill, or have a super-slick downhill chip

I had a good lesson tonight and I continue to tweak little things. Tomorrow I am playing 9 and my goal is a 55 with omly 3 three puts. I had five last week.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

I had a good lesson tonight and I continue to tweak little things. Tomorrow I am playing 9 and my goal is a 55 with omly 3 three puts. I had five last week.

Always feels good after a lesson doesn't it!!! ... Taking the next two nights off from the range, but shot 51 on Tuesday ... With a new swing distance control is killing me ... I am longer now on some approach shots ... I did 1 putt two greens, so felt really good about that ... Keep up the good work!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

If your priority is simply to break 100, here's a thought. I bet you can hit an eight iron >120 yards, and that you hit it much more reliably than your woods or long irons. If the course you usually play is, say, 6500 yards, that's 54 eight irons. Add say ten shots for misses, the fact that you'll sometimes need to play a shorter pitch, or whatever. You've still got 35 putts available to shoot 99. Which is another way of saying, forget the macho stuff about hitting driver off the tee and a 200-yard 4-iron into the green. Hit the clubs you can reliably hit, and stay out of trouble, and you may be surprised at how well you can score. (Needless to say, were I intelligent enough to take my own advice, I wouldn't be playing off 18)

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

If your priority is simply to break 100, here's a thought. I bet you can hit an eight iron >120 yards, and that you hit it much more reliably than your woods or long irons. If the course you usually play is, say, 6500 yards, that's 54 eight irons. Add say ten shots for misses, the fact that you'll sometimes need to play a shorter pitch, or whatever. You've still got 35 putts available to shoot 99. Which is another way of saying, forget the macho stuff about hitting driver off the tee and a 200-yard 4-iron into the green. Hit the clubs you can reliably hit, and stay out of trouble, and you may be surprised at how well you can score. (Needless to say, were I intelligent enough to take my own advice, I wouldn't be playing off 18)

great theory and often discussed by my group. In real life, at my course, it will not work, forced carries, fairways being at least 180 yards from the tee box, etc. at the end of the day, to break 100, a 200 yard fairly straight tee shot is required and then play smart.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

great theory and often discussed by my group. In real life, at my course, it will not work, forced carries, fairways being at least 180 yards from the tee box, etc. at the end of the day, to break 100, a 200 yard fairly straight tee shot is required and then play smart.

Yes of course, it's not to be taken literally. But the principle is sound. Play the clubs you can reliably hit whenever possible, and avoid heroics, and scores will come down. Just for fun I have in the past gone round using nothing but driver, 7-iron and putter. It's surprising how little damage that did to my score, because I hit the 7-iron pretty well and often a poor long-iron or fairway wood won't go as far or as straight as a well-struck 7.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

In my new swing, as Lee Trevino says, I open the door and then close door ... Rolling my hands over was a VERY foreign concept to me ... Well my instructor has asked me to pretend I am trying to draw the ball ... Meaning go ahead and try to actually to come through the impact zone with a close club face ... Because god knows I had coming open down to an art ... Well after practicing my ass off, I am coming along, no longer think about opening the door and closing it ... It happens natural if I bring my weight forward and don't try to muscle the ball with my arms and shoulders ... Simple actually ... Well today, went and hit 200 balls at the range ... I swear I actually had couple balls draw ... Not saying I had a full woody, but was excited! Loving seeing my hard work pay off, and actually understanding why I hit a bad shot, and why I hit straight ... Now to transfer it to the course, as I mentioned, distance control is keeping me out of the 90's (well that's my story and I am sticking to it) ... So what new in your efforts ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I shot a 55 tonight which is 4 strokes fewer than last weeks league play. I had three lost balls and three putted 3 times. Still too many but better than the 5 times last week. My irons killed me this week but it was a step in the right direction. Overall I am happy with it.

I shot a 55 tonight which is 4 strokes fewer than last weeks league play. I had three lost balls and three putted 3 times. Still too many but better than the 5 times last week. My irons killed me this week but it was a step in the right direction. Overall I am happy with it.

Great news Gipper ... I feel confident this weekend I am breaking the wall down ... Range is just going too good ... Got to get the course time in now ... Thanks to my instructor I feel confident!!

Great news Gipper ... I feel confident this weekend I am breaking the wall down ... Range is just going too good ... Got to get the course time in now ... Thanks to my instructor I feel confident!!

Very good! Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Here is the tshirt design I was thinking about ... did some breaking bad shirts for a guy a work ... he got fired before he paid me :(

I mocked this one up for grinners ... it can say whatever ... thought about I am the who breaks 100

[IMG]http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/kensisland/Golf/ipar-1.jpg[/IMG]

Hope posting the image works ...

Here is the tshirt design I was thinking about ... did some breaking bad shirts for a guy a work ... he got fired before he paid me :(  I mocked this one up for grinners ... it can say whatever ... thought about I am the who breaks 100  [URL=[URL=http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/kensisland/media/Golf/ipar-1.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/kensisland/Golf/ipar-1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL]http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/kensisland/media/Golf/ipar-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/kensisland/Golf/ipar-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL[/URL]] Hope posting the image works ...

I tried it but it did not load.. I am not great with computers though.

Note: This thread is 1310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!