IGNORED

Being tall an advantage?

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would say that 6'6" is abnormal tall. I'm 6'4" and I think of someone my height as being at the uppermost limit of normal, meaning we can get clothes that fit at most clothing stores. Once you get past that then it gets difficult. You'll come across someone my height almost every day, but a guy 6'5"+ not as frequently.

6.6 is not abnormal, but it is unusual.

According to this chart: http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/230_cumulative_percent_distribution_of_population_by.html .

80% males are UNDER 6 ft tall.

12% are 6-1 or taller.

7% are 6-2 or taller.

4% are 6-3 or taller.

2% are 6-4 or taller.

I once read a study that said when men go over 6-5 in height, the social advantages of being tall reverse and height starts to become a disadvantage.

As far as golf goes, the few advantages (being able to more power) are quickly outweighed by the disadvantages.

Adding an inch to the club length (1) causes the swing weight to shoot through the roof, (2) makes the shaft more flexible, and (3) makes it more difficult to hit the ball in the center of the head.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

6.6 is not abnormal, but it is unusual.

According to this chart: http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/230_cumulative_percent_distribution_of_population_by.html .

80% males are UNDER 6 ft tall.

12% are 6-1 or taller.

7% are 6-2 or taller.

4% are 6-3 or taller.

2% are 6-4 or taller.

I once read a study that said when men go over 6-5 in height, the social advantages of being tall reverse and height starts to become a disadvantage.

As far as golf goes, the few advantages (being able to more power) are quickly outweighed by the disadvantages.

Adding an inch to the club length (1) causes the swing weight to shoot through the roof, (2) makes the shaft more flexible, and (3) makes it more difficult to hit the ball in the center of the head.

The chart you showed seems to indicate only males at 6'4" and not >6'4". I assume that the number is in the sub 0.5% range. It still means that 1 in 200 males you meet is over 6'4".

I think the sweet spot of being more attractive to women is now something like 6' to 6'1", the study I attached is just a little outdated.

"In a double-blind study by Graziano et al. , it was found that, in person, using a sample of women of normal size, they were on average most attracted to men who were of medium height (5'9"- 5'11") and less attracted to both men of shorter height (5'5"- 5'7") and men of tallest height (6'2"- 6'4"). [74] "

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-6494.1978.tb00606.x/abstract;jsessionid=00BFE6E1C840C693F3D235D986DFC022.f01t04

It would be interesting to hear other peoples personal experiences regarding this topic. I think it is "technically" off topic for this thread, but not by looking at the title. ;-)

BTW, an interesting tidbit is that in the 1992 census, roughly 35% in all categories of the men 59 and under are taller than me, and in the 1978 census 99.7% of the males were taller than me. :smartass:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess we're both wrong, given the recent Open Championship results.

The top 3 are under 5'9", and also impressive that that Rory got 2 eagles in one round. He might be a paradigm for golfing ability.

Agreed, the Open Championship is a great example of being short is an advantage. According to Google Rory and Ricky are 5'9" and Sergio is 5'10". I reiterate a point that I made earlier that gives the advantage to the shorter golfer...

Tall golfers' eyes are farther from the ground, and consequently, farther from the ball. This would lead to the conclusion that the ball would seems smaller to the tall golfer. If a study were done of who strikes the ball more solidly on the clubface, I would venture to say that shorter golfers might be the winner because they perceive the ball to be a larger target than the tall golfer. Those of us who golf with any regularity understand that more bad shots are created by off-center hits on the golf club. Thus, the advantage goes to the shorter golfer, since they are seeing a larger ball to hit.

In addition, since almost half of the shots in any round are taken on the green, I think the same can be said for putting. The shorter putter sees a larger ball, a larger cup and their eyes are closer to the line of the putt.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I actually saw something about Rory's swing on TV earlier today which said that Rory hits the ball so far because he extends his arms away from his body giving him a longer swing arc giving him more clubhead speed and effectively giving him the swing arc of someone taller than his 5'10 stature.  That means that being taller does give you an advantage as long as you can control it as well as Rory.

At a high enough level in most sports being tall does matter...a lot...there is a reason that most professional athletes are taller/bigger than the average person.  The best thing about golf however is that accuracy is much more important than power and when you are on a 165 yard par three or putting from 20 feet it doesnt matter how much more power you have than the little guy.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

This thread has taken a turn toward silliness. Now it's an advantage to be short because 3 short guys were the final 3 in The Open? (SMH)

That would be like scouts for the NFL running back to the office after the Super Bowl and telling management to only draft 5' 10" quarterbacks because Wilson won the Super Bowl or baseball scouts not recommending drafting any more tall pitchers after watching Roy Oswalt pitch.

Nobody in their right mind ever suggested that shorter people couldn't play or even be the best, or fastest, or strongest. It just takes more effort, better technique, probably more talent, and more strain on their bodies to achieve the same power.

No way for me to prove it but I would bet the ranch that any of those athletes would take an extra inch or two in height if they could snap their fingers and have it.

• Upvote 1

This thread has taken a turn toward silliness. Now it's an advantage to be short because 3 short guys were the final 3 in The Open? (SMH)

That would be like scouts for the NFL running back to the office after the Super Bowl and telling management to only draft 5' 10" quarterbacks because Wilson won the Super Bowl or baseball scouts not recommending drafting any more tall pitchers after watching Roy Oswalt pitch.

Nobody in their right mind ever suggested that shorter people couldn't play or even be the best, or fastest, or strongest. It just takes more effort, better technique, probably more talent, and more strain on their bodies to achieve the same power.

No way for me to prove it but I would bet the ranch that any of those athletes would take an extra inch or two in height if they could snap their fingers and have it.

I don't think anyone actually said that? I think I just said that Rory's 2 eagles in one round is pretty impressive, and that height does not seem to have had an advantage in this case. It seems that Rory has found some way to do what is normally in the domain of the larger players.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm working on a theory that short people need 11,000 hours to be world class experts in their chosen field. Now that's a turn toward silliness.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I don't think anyone actually said that?

Hmmm. Looks like it to me.

Agreed, the Open Championship is a great example of being short is an advantage. According to Google Rory and Ricky are 5'9" and Sergio is 5'10". I reiterate a point that I made earlier that gives the advantage to the shorter golfer...

Tall golfers' eyes are farther from the ground, and consequently, farther from the ball. This would lead to the conclusion that the ball would seems smaller to the tall golfer. If a study were done of who strikes the ball more solidly on the clubface, I would venture to say that shorter golfers might be the winner because they perceive the ball to be a larger target than the tall golfer. Those of us who golf with any regularity understand that more bad shots are created by off-center hits on the golf club. Thus, the advantage goes to the shorter golfer, since they are seeing a larger ball to hit.

In addition, since almost half of the shots in any round are taken on the green, I think the same can be said for putting. The shorter putter sees a larger ball, a larger cup and their eyes are closer to the line of the putt.

I guess we're both wrong, given the recent Open Championship results.

The top 3 are under 5'9", and also impressive that that Rory got 2 eagles in one round. He might be a paradigm for golfing ability.

I'm not that positive that if RM was taller if he could be "better". Two eagles on a major course in one round is enough for me to say that height doesn't matter in golf. It's only talent. Plus, I have also seen enough 5'7" golfers drive over 300 yards. They are more athletic when they swing, but their more compact bodies also allow them to be more so

Top 3 @ the Open yesterday - 5' 10" and under.

I recall Curtis Strange noticing the disparity in height between DJ and RM and RM holding up his own with DJ distance wise.

Mo Martin. Ladies Open winner. 5' 2".

Actually, not having clubs that fit might be one of the main reasons. It looks really uncomfortable hunching over the irons even though they are already +1.5 inches.

Let's see, I'm about 5'10" and use a standard length club. If I were 6'6", i would need a club that is almost 8" longer just to have the same comfortable setup position.

Clubs are fit based on wrist to floor or something similar that reflects how far a person's hands are from the ground. The 6' 6" guy may not have very much more wrist to floor distance than I do.

Ok, maybe, but the overall meaning that we got was a bit distorted. Rory might not be better if taller, tall amateurs I have played with look uncomfortable hunched over their clubs, . . . Etc. Taken like this, ok, I agree it looks like this. Really, the intent was never meant to mean that shorter is better. I think talent is talent no matter how tall the athlete.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"Those athletes" being McIlroy and Garcia? I'd take your bet. After this weekend I suspect McIlroy's quite ok with his stature and, if magically given the opportunity to play again like he did over the weekend, probably wouldn't want to change a single thing. But you're right, who knows.

• 2 months later...

I'm 6' 7"/320lbs and I had my clubs ordered from Clevland and after being fitted I ended up with +1.5" length and +2deg upright. I just recently changed my swing from being bent over to more upright and the results were amazing. I'm getting a better shoulder turn and releasing the club easier. My clubhead speed has increased also. If you're struggling with your ball striking and consistency try to weaken your grip, stand more upright and closer to the ball. Also play the ball back in your stance a little you'll hit the ball first then take a divot like the pro's. I know everyone is different but this worked for me. I have a very bad lower back and being more upright helped with that also. The more your bent over I think the harder it is to make a full shoulder turn. Thats just me. Hope this helps the tall golfers.

Originally Posted by Hardballs

Does being tall in height give an advantage?

Amongst the group of friends I play with, I'd say 1/5 are approx. 5'8" ish, with 4/5 being 6' or slightly over!

Now it could be coincidence? Or it could be height advantage?

But the taller ones are the big hitters, up to 40 yards longer on drives, and hitting 8irons over 150yrds, and although were all capable of beating each other, the taller guys tend to win more? And I don't think this is coincidence!

Just wondering what others views are of this?

And if anyone can name a really good short arse golfer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardballs

Good point!

It's funny as I always considered myself quite short, (5'8.5") yet when I see others the same size, they don't look so short! Must be the eye level to top of head distance we don't see on ourselves! Anyway I digress, tall people do have an advantage so I want an extra 3 adding to my hc when I play someone 6' or over!

Okay, I get the entire point of this thread. 4/5 of the golfers in the group @Hardballs plays is over 6'. He is the only one under 6'. He wants 3 strokes from everyone over 6'. Hmm, a little bit of "too late to sandbag", I think.  The real question is how many pounds per stroke in the end? :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

At 5' 3" and done growing, I'm gonna go with a resounding yes. It's also much easier to get a good spine angle and an aesthetically pleasing swing

You're in the top 93% of men who have a handicap (possibly top 98% of all male golfers or better?), and you're still a teen (i.e., have not filled in yet). So, where do you see being tall more of an advantage? :smartass:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

they were on average most attracted to men who were of medium height (5'9"- 5'11") and less attracted to both men of shorter height (5'5"- 5'7")

Where does 5'3" fall lol jk [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/75159/being-tall-an-advantage/100_100#post_1062104"] You're in the top 93% of men who have a handicap (possibly top 98% of all male golfers or better?), and you're still a teen (i.e., have not filled in yet). So, where do you see being tall more of an advantage? :smartass:   [/quote] I would be tiger woods right now if I was tall. Lol heights advantages are a sexier swing easier to get on a good plane into the ball easy power, and easy tradjectory control. And golf is significantly different at the teenage level. On my hs team, (we had2 twin towers) I was a 4 handicap and number 7 on our team. When I play in local tournaments I have to have a really good day to be in contention and none of the good kids have to be playing well. In regional tournaments i have to play extremely well to get top 50 percent. My last tournament I played well in i shot 77 - 80 on the toughest course I have ever played. It was 7000 ish yards, wet, surrounded by ob, and lines with mosterous oak trees. I think I got t20 out of 35. basically It's very competetive at the junior level, I have an amazing height to distance ratio but it is squandered by my height. and I just kinda laugh when people on hear and with most adult golfers have a lot of good knowledge and are thought of as good players at a 15 handicaps handicaps. I'm basically a hack at these tournaments. I digressed

I'm 6' 7"/320lbs and I had my clubs ordered from Clevland and after being fitted I ended up with +1.5" length and +2deg upright. I just recently changed my swing from being bent over to more upright and the results were amazing. I'm getting a better shoulder turn and releasing the club easier. My clubhead speed has increased also. If you're struggling with your ball striking and consistency try to weaken your grip, stand more upright and closer to the ball. Also play the ball back in your stance a little you'll hit the ball first then take a divot like the pro's. I know everyone is different but this worked for me. I have a very bad lower back and being more upright helped with that also. The more your bent over I think the harder it is to make a full shoulder turn. Thats just me. Hope this helps the tall golfers.

Just a slight word of Caution here...being to upright can lead to your chin hitting your shoulder on the back swing. I know this cuz Mike had me bend more at the hips, and stick my rear end out a tad more, because my chin was limiting my shoulder turn. Also standing more upright( a definition is needed for upright) and standing closer to the ball can result in thin shots, and the dreaded S word..trust me, I know this..lol You also get a steeper swing, which for me, didn't work so swell.

Where does 5'3" fall lol jk I would be tiger woods right now if I was tall. Lol heights advantages are a sexier swing easier to get on a good plane into the ball easy power, and easy tradjectory control. And golf is significantly different at the teenage level. On my hs team, (we had2 twin towers) I was a 4 handicap and number 7 on our team. When I play in local tournaments I have to have a really good day to be in contention and none of the good kids have to be playing well. In regional tournaments i have to play extremely well to get top 50 percent. My last tournament I played well in i shot 77 - 80 on the toughest course I have ever played. It was 7000 ish yards, wet, surrounded by ob, and lines with mosterous oak trees. I think I got t20 out of 35. basically It's very competetive at the junior level, I have an amazing height to distance ratio but it is squandered by my height. and I just kinda laugh when people on hear and with most adult golfers have a lot of good knowledge and are thought of as good players at a 15 handicaps handicaps. I'm basically a hack at these tournaments. I digressed

I know several men who are 5'4" or less and happily married, and one of them is a scratch golfer. He has two really beautiful daughters. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!