IGNORED

Being tall an advantage?

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does being tall in height give an advantage? Amongst the group of friends I play with, I'd say 4/5 are approx. 5'8" ish, with 4/5 being 6' or slightly over! Now it could be coincidence? Or it could be height advantage? But the taller ones are the big hitters, up to 40 yards longer on drives, and hitting 8irons over 150yrds, and although were all capable of beating each other, the taller guys tend to win more? And I don't think this is coincidence! Just wondering what others views are of this? And if anyone can name a really good short arse golfer?

Gaz Lee

Absolutely, it's a huge advantag from a distance standpoint. It's pure leverage and physics. The higher you can get your hands the more (and easier) speed you can generate. Shorter guys can still generate plenty of power but it takes more torque and rotation to get it for them.

As for short and good golfers, there are a lot fewer of them than tall ones but Player and Trevino are the two best who come to mind.

• Upvote 1

Sheer physical power does help, of course. But it isn't everything, because timing and co-ordination play bigger roles. Ian Woosnam is 5'4" and in his prime was one of the biggest hitters on tour.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Probably doesn't make much difference until you get to a higher skill level. I see plenty of crappy tall golfers, they don't hit it far or accurate.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taller golfers have a naturally larger swing arc, which if applied correctly, should lead to more distance than a shorter golfer. The key words being, 'when applied correctly.'

But there's also a thing as being too tall. That's why basketball players, in general, have a hard time being good at golf - issues of body sway, too high of a center of gravity, etc come into play.

Interestingly, back in the day (meaning the 60s & 70s), the longer hitters were the under-6 footers with solid, almost stocky bodies. Nicklaus for example. The tall players were the good putters, like George Archer.

Hmm, I'm not bitter, but I guess what I lack in height I will need to make up for in technique![quote name="Dave2512" url="/t/75159/being-tall-an-advantage#post_1003423"]Probably doesn't make much difference until you get to a higher skill level. I see plenty of crappy tall golfers, they don't hit it far or accurate. [/quote] Haha, yes crappy golfers come in every shape and size! [quote name="chasm" url="/t/75159/being-tall-an-advantage#post_1003421"]Sheer physical power does help, of course. But it isn't everything, because timing and co-ordination play bigger roles. Ian Woosnam is 5'4" and in his prime was one of the biggest hitters on tour.[/quote] I never realised woosy was only 5'4" ? But it's hard to tell of tv, my friend went to the British open last year and said he was surprised at how big most of the guys were,.. Particularly tiger woods,... Not just tall, but physically powerfully built!

Gaz Lee

1. Quote:

I never realised woosy was only 5'4" ?

Yep:

1. Ian Woosnam
    Golfer
  2. Ian Harold Woosnam OBE is a Welsh professional golfer. Nicknamed 'Woosie', 'Woosers', or the 'Wee Welshman', Woosnam was one of the "Big Five" generation of European golfers, all born within 12 months ... Wikipedia
  3. Born : March 2, 1958 (age 56), Oswestry, United Kingdom
  4. Height : 5' 4" (1.64 m)
  5. Nationality : Welsh
  6. Weight : 168 lbs (76 kg)

But it's hard to tell of tv, my friend went to the British open last year and said he was surprised at how big most of the guys were,.. Particularly tiger woods,... Not just tall, but physically powerfully built!

All relative. I will be bigger than most when I go see them at the BMW later this year. I was surprised how small they were during the Masters when they did a segment on jacket size. A lot of them were 38-40R sized.

All relative. I will be bigger than most when I go see them at the BMW later this year. I was surprised how small they were during the Masters when they did a segment on jacket size. A lot of them were 38-40R sized.

Good point! It's funny as I always considered myself quite short, (5'8.5") yet when I see others the same size, they don't look so short! Must be the eye level to top of head distance we don't see on ourselves! Anyway I digress, tall people do have an advantage so I want an extra 3 adding to my hc when I play someone 6' or over!

Gaz Lee

But it's hard to tell of tv, my friend went to the British open last year and said he was surprised at how big most of the guys were,.. Particularly tiger woods,... Not just tall, but physically powerfully built!

Your friend doesn't spend enough time with other athletes, I gather. Pro golfers (the ones that work out) are definitely strong, but they're lean. Big is definitely not an adjective I'd use for their physique.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Your friend doesn't spend enough time with other athletes, I gather. Pro golfers (the ones that work out) are definitely strong, but they're lean. Big is definitely not an adjective I'd use for their physique.

Kevin Stadler? And he's only the most extreme example. Plenty of tour pros are clearly overweight.

Kevin Stadler? And he's only the most extreme example. Plenty of tour pros are clearly overweight.

You didn't read my post, did you?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

You didn't read my post, did you?

I did. But if I didn't understand it, please enlighten me.

Even some of the slim guys are a little soft. Though it seems like training is becoming more prevalent on the tour each year.

I did. But if I didn't understand it, please enlighten me.

I mentioned specifically about the ones that work out. You know the ones the golf announcers are always raving about how big and strong they are?

Bill

My Swing Thread

I mentioned specifically about the ones that work out. You know the ones the golf announcers are always raving about how big and strong they are?

OK, but working out and being overweight aren't mutually exclusive. I know that Westwood, for example, has spent a good deal of time in the gym in the last few years, and "lean" isn't a word I'd apply to him.

OK, but working out and being overweight aren't mutually exclusive. I know that Westwood, for example, has spent a good deal of time in the gym in the last few years, and "lean" isn't a word I'd apply to him.

Then I apologize for being ambiguous.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!