IGNORED

correct impact position with driver, especially the spine angle ???

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1.  So you have to stop the hip sliding in the backswing, this is good, dont slide hips back, but turn the torso and upper body, therefore the weight is shifted to the right leg (back leg), understood !!!

2.  At address, you position at the reverse K position, this is easy to understand.

Next point which is problem to understand for beginner, is the correct impact position with driver

"keep steady head" is the advice that is given to beginners...

"keep head behind ball is advice to beginners...

"keep arms forward to maximize lag is advice to beginners"

"don't reverse pivot is advice given to beginner"

3. How is it possible to shift all the weight on the front foot, when you keep bulk of the weight actually behind the ball (keep the head behind ball, human head is actually quite heavy weight, and it can be difficult to balance yourself this way)

4. How much spine tilt is correct for impact position with driver ? (imagine the spine tilt being left to right, as though you're looking face-on at the player)

spine tilt left is upper body towards back leg. Spine tilt right is upper body towards front leg for the purpose of the face-on  perspective.

Wow man... I'm reading this wondering if there is a question there? Or is this a statement? I doubt there's a right answer for how much spine tilt, probably just that there has to be some amount otherwise I would think you'd come way over the top and probably chop down right?

• Administrator

3. How is it possible to shift all the weight on the front foot, when you keep bulk of the weight actually behind the ball (keep the head behind ball, human head is actually quite heavy weight, and it can be difficult to balance yourself this way)

The ball isn't positioned in the middle of your stance, for starters…

Your weight stays relatively close to 50/50 (less so with the driver, say 65/35 favoring the back side at the MOST at the top of the backswing), and the hips slide forward. Your head could move forward a little too and it would still be "behind the ball" because the ball is by your front foot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow man... I'm reading this wondering if there is a question there? Or is this a statement? I doubt there's a right answer for how much spine tilt, probably just that there has to be some amount otherwise I would think you'd come way over the top and probably chop down right?

I guess my question is mainly, how much spine tilt is required, for slightly ascending blow at the ball?

I've had actually that problem myself, hittind down on the ball with driver.

This is the reason why I asked.

you gotta optimize the launch angle of the ball, you know? At least I have to, to maximize the distance.

I don't carry the ball 300 yards like bubba after all... ;-)

Don't wanna launch it too high though. Too high ball and it eats the distance away...

Oftentimes at the golf course, I shift 90% weight on the backswing, to my back leg.

This strong weight shift at backswing makes it often hard to shift the weight forward fast enough, for the time of impact.

Sometimes I flip backwards to my backleg, after impact. Instead of leaving myself at the classic followthrough position...

It's been hard to adjust to this classic followthrough. But trying to achieve the classic followthrough was something that my instructor advised me to do, I just don't know how to go about achieving it, any good drills you can think of ???

I always thought that you have to shift all your weight to the backleg. People always make baseball throwing analogies with golf, and this is how I throw a ball.

shift all the weight to the backleg, lunge forward with a step, shifting weight forward. Rotate your body for power and throw the ball with your hand.

This is how all the baseball players throw the ball for power. Shift all weight backwards to backleg, then lunge forward and throw.

I always assumed similar mechanics are in golf swing... :blink:

I always thought that you have to shift all your weight to the backleg. People always make baseball throwing analogies with golf, and this is how I throw a ball.

shift all the weight to the backleg, lunge forward with a step, shifting weight forward. Rotate your body for power and throw the ball with your hand.

This is how all the baseball players throw the ball for power. Shift all weight backwards to backleg, then lunge forward and throw.

I always assumed similar mechanics are in golf swing...

When people talk compare it to a throw they aren't talking about getting on the mound and hiking up your leg and throwing a 95 mph fastball. :-D

They are talking about standing facing 90* to the target with weight fairly evenly on both feet and then a slight transfer to the back foot followed by a big transfer to the front foot, usually started with a hip bump, and making a sidearm or submarine throw. Like you would do if you were just playing a game of catch out in the yard. Almost all of the weight is on the front foot at release.

I guess my question is mainly, how much spine tilt is required, for slightly ascending blow at the ball?

There isn't an exact number, just keep the head steady while transferring forward and play the ball slightly forward of your left shoulder joint.

I've had actually that problem myself, hittind down on the ball with driver.

Don't wanna launch it too high though. Too high ball and it eats the distance away...

Yes you hit down because your head goes forward too much on the downswing. Here's how it should look

http://thesandtrap.com/t/37582/my-swing-bplewis24/198#post_1005752

Hitting it too high shouldn't be a problem, pros hit it pretty high.

It doesn't, check this out

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

There isn't an exact number, just keep the head steady while transferring forward and play the ball slightly forward of your left shoulder joint.

Yes you hit down because your head goes forward too much on the downswing. Here's how it should look

http://thesandtrap.com/t/37582/my-swing-bplewis24/198#post_1005752

Hitting it too high shouldn't be a problem, pros hit it pretty high.

It doesn't, check this out

thx for the answers, Sir !!! Here's a couple of questions though...

1. So the weightshift is more of a gradual process through the downswing? (gradual weightshift through the specific downswing positions, but weightshift should be about completed at impact position?)

2. So ideally, the downswing has to be made in specific tempo, through the different positions (A9, A8, A7 etc.) of the swing from the backswing towards the impact?

3. In the downswing, obviously the swing positions should "accelerate" as you get the clubhead closer to the impact position, right? Should the tempo quicken itself, when you get closer to the impact position? For someone likie Ernie Els - he looks like he's swinging with a relaxed tempo throughout downswing. But he has a massive swing arc because he's a huge dude. He can get "easy clubhead speed" that way even swinging at 80% power. I'm only 5 foot 8 myself. I think I would be better served to study swing tempo of some shorter golfers like Rickie Fowler or Rory?

4. Here's a golfing equipment question. Do you think it's possible that too long shaft (45,75 inch)  in driver, could cause an out-to-in swingpath? This has been my newest problem shot with driver, push-slice. I believe that it was noticed in flightscope simulator. Out-to-in path +  open clubface. This should cause  push-slice, correct?

I can say with confidence that push slice was NOT my problem shot with my old driver. OLD driver problem shot was a duck hook with regular stiffess driver, with shorter shaft.

I think the weightshift issue used to be the problem for me. Basically I just read about this stuff in an old golfing guide book, when I started golfing. They had example pictures and golf tips, and they always seemed to emphasize , super-early weightshift. "Never be late with the weightshift" or something like that. This aggrevated weightshift was my misunderstanding it seems.

1. So the weightshift is more of a gradual process through the downswing? (gradual weightshift through the specific downswing positions, but weightshift should be about completed at impact position?)

Did you check out the video with the force plates?

If "about completed" means 80-95% of your weight/pressure/force on the front foot, then yes :-)

2. So ideally, the downswing has to be made in specific tempo, through the different positions (A9, A8, A7 etc.) of the swing from the backswing towards the impact?

More about rates, sequencing, than tempo. You can have a "fast" or "slow" tempo and still have good sequencing.

3. In the downswing, obviously the swing positions should "accelerate" as you get the clubhead closer to the impact position, right? Should the tempo quicken itself, when you get closer to the impact position?

Not something you have to think about.

4. Here's a golfing equipment question. Do you think it's possible that too long shaft (45,75 inch)  in driver, could cause an out-to-in swingpath? This has been my newest problem shot with driver, push-slice. I believe that it was noticed in flightscope simulator. Out-to-in path +  open clubface. This should cause  push-slice, correct?

No I don't think the longer shaft is the issue.

If it's a push-slice, yes the path is probably IN-ward with the face pointed right of your body alignment. All a push-slice means is the ball is starting right of your alignment with the face well open to the path, the path doesn't necessarily need to be out to in.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

When people talk compare it to a throw they aren't talking about getting on the mound and hiking up your leg and throwing a 95 mph fastball.

They are talking about standing facing 90* to the target with weight fairly evenly on both feet and then a slight transfer to the back foot followed by a big transfer to the front foot, usually started with a hip bump, and making a sidearm or submarine throw. Like you would do if you were just playing a game of catch out in the yard. Almost all of the weight is on the front foot at release.

You know, I've read the "like you're throwing a baseball" analogy hundreds of times. I was a pitcher through high school, but could never understand the analogy.  When I had that swing thought, I thought about pitching, so I swayed, big time, on the back swing, and was way out of whack on the down swing. But your explanation just clicked with me. Stand feet shoulder width apart, 90 degrees from your target, and pretend to throw the ball sidearm. You will definitely have a massive forward weight shift, with almost all of the weight on your front foot.  You will also have hip rotation...and it feels completely natural because everything is synced up!

My bag...under construction

Driver -  AMP 10.5 degree

3W - :adams: Speedline Fast 12

3H  Baffler T-Rail

Irons - 4-PW  G20s

Wedges -  G20 54* SW and an old  Bazooka 60* LW that will be replaced next

Putter -  Scottsdale Y-Worry

haha great stuff about the baseball analogy!

When I played the finnish variant of baseball I was always throwing max power like a baseball pitcher would have thrown.

in the finnish variant of baseball, the pitcher isn't pitching the ball at the striker, but he's throwing ball upwards for the striker to hit it (just like a tennis throw)

but otherwise in that game, it is beneficial for the out-team, to have fast and accurate throws and catches, so they can burn the runners at the bases. And the pitcher has to throw good balls at the basemen, so they can burn the runners.

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!