IGNORED

How bad are range balls?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most of the driving ranges I've been to have a landing area that is around 5 feet lower than where you hit from.  This is annoying because it makes your shots appear longer than they really are.

The range I use has shit for balls ... But they are open after sunset, which is important on the 110 degree days ... Plus you hit off of grass ...

For me it's, did I make good contact, move my weight, etc ... distant I know is not good, and I also look at the ball flight ... I.e. Was it a banana slice, etc ...

While not perfect it's certainly better than my other options ...

BTW, which one do you play at? I'm in Phoenix as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know they are limited and that they won't fly as far. Why would you try hitting them the same distance as the balls you play? Is the goal to hit the ball 100 yards on the range? I focus on contact and ball flight, not caring if the ball flies shorter than my balls. After all, they are meant to do this.

Welcome to the forum, btw! Hope you'll have a good time.

Testosterone is the reason, my friend.  Testosterone.  ;)

I mainly go to try and hit the ball on the center of the face.  I sometimes start trying to rip at the ball to get it to the targets without thinking about it.

If you take one more club than usual, you can swing easy.

BTW, which one do you play at? I'm in Phoenix as well.

I am in Glendale ... Adobe Dam is where range is :) I tend to play primarily on the Northwest side Glad too see other from Phx area

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I am in Glendale ... Adobe Dam is where range is :) I tend to play primarily on the Northwest side

Glad too see other from Phx area

I'm in South Phoenix. I usually hit the range at Dobson Ranch or Aguila in Laveen. Both ranges are decent. Balls aren't too bad as well. There's a two-tiered driving range in Glendale on W Indian School somewhere. I see commercials for it occasionally. I heard it isn't too bad.

I'm in South Phoenix. I usually hit the range at Dobson Ranch or Aguila in Laveen. Both ranges are decent. Balls aren't too bad as well. There's a two-tiered driving range in Glendale on W Indian School somewhere. I see commercials for it occasionally. I heard it isn't too bad.

I saw those ... I like hitting off the grass. I need to play more courses down your way ... Love the Raven I think it is.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Does anybody notice if you try and kill range balls with your driver they just dont seem to go very far. Like the harder you hit range balls there's a point of diminished returns.

I find this is generally the outcome anytime you hit a golf ball extra hard.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If the markers at your driving range are fixed, use Google Earth and its ruler tool to measure the distances to each of the markers. I did that to figure out how accurate the signs were and I figured out which hitting stall they were most accurate from, so now I do my best to hit exclusively from that particular stall. Even if the markers seem small or narrow, it's pretty easy to use shadows and such to spot them. Heck, I've used the tool to figure out distances on the course from tee boxes and you can easily make out the tiny tee box markers from space. Takes all of about two minutes.

Golden.

I find this is generally the outcome anytime you hit a golf ball extra hard.

My limited experience is that contact is everything. My pitching wedge is practically my longest non wood club, because I practice with it in my yard every day for at least twenty minutes. And I can't do a full swing in my yard.

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!