IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

More drill work yesterday. The backswing is improving but still could be better, longer and a bit slower. I’m trying to be less out at A2 and have the same cup in my wrist at A4 I had at address. I’m exaggerating the height a bit to keep it high during a full swing.

The next drill is trying to get the feel of landing soft on the left knee as it moves toward the target then snapping straight and pushing my left hip back to create speed. I’m doing okay here, but my hips could be more forward at A9 and I should keep the primary axis tilt a bit longer (staying down). The DTL view shows I’m steepening a bit during the pump too, so I need to be careful of that.

The combo drill brings both together. But I notice that my left knee is not quite doing the same snap and my hands are starting to turn over even though it feels the same. Feel ain’t real. These will be my drills for a while.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure if this is needed, so disregard if so, but I was wondering if you are staying a bit back with that drill?

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Maybe a bit more upper center forward would clean up contact a bit and get your weight over to that front foot more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure if this is needed, so disregard if so, but I was wondering if you are staying a bit back with that drill?

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Maybe a bit more upper center forward would clean up contact a bit and get your weight over to that front foot more. 

Exactly! Chest and hips need to be more forward here.

Scott

My Swing Thread

This is purely my own thought process.. so take it with a spoonful of salt.. lol. 

I think the mini pump drill you are doing from A4 to A5 with the very active right wrist extension is doing a bit too much with hands too early in the downswing. IMO it makes for a handsy impact, which makes you hang back a bit at impact. 

I think the pump drill should lead with your right elbow instead of your right wrist from A4 down. It will be good feel for you to lead a tad more with your lower body into and through impact. 

Of course, I am guilty of this myself.. so just sharing.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Scott kinda has two drills right now. The downswing one is:

• Get to A6 and stop, but make sure he's over his left ankle.
  • Small pump.
  • EXPLODE the left knee to kick the hip up and back/around while making everything rotate HARD from there.

The left knee delivers the arms to the ball because the hips rotate, so the chest rotates, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yesterday I worked in my two pieces. First, the backswing. Here I am reaching back a bit more at the top with 6 iron and driver. Put audio on mute. My neighbor was power washing at the time. I work on my flexibility as well when I workout and stretch. I want to get higher.

Below are screenshots of my A9 positions from the punch drill and then full swing. My hips need to be higher and more forward, but it is improving. The full swing didn’t feel as good, but looked similar. My hands need to turnover less in both.

65CD5D9E-C219-468B-BA02-F0DE85E0D3D1.jpeg

966F48D2-86F0-43E6-BD09-9957B59E5761.jpeg
Driver I’m hanging back a bit and need to be more forward.  My hands are turning over more in the full as well.

CEA5D514-4ABC-479B-8995-6786BD41C5AD.jpeg
3D774EB7-32E2-471A-9869-5DFA42BE51F6.jpeg

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

It’s not super important to get your weight forward with the driver, but two things:

• Left knee needs to do more. But your hips have to be forward for it to push the hips “up” and “open” instead of “back” and “open” (with the driver, “back” is okay).
  • What are you looking at down on the ground? 🙂
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

It’s not super important to get your weight forward with the driver, but two things:

• Left knee needs to do more. But your hips have to be forward for it to push the hips “up” and “open” instead of “back” and “open” (with the driver, “back” is okay).
  • What are you looking at down on the ground? 🙂
  • So let the hips slide more forward from A4 to A6 then? I’m having trouble feeling the left knee do it’s job. We talked about how it may be a bad habit from before my knee surgeries. I’ll keep at it and rehearse the hip going more forward as I land on my left knee.
  • Got it!🙂

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Yes, remember that for you I’d like to see the hip get over the ankle.

• Thumbs Up 1

More work on the two priority pieces today. I’m starting each session with backswing drills to make it higher and longer. I still think I go too fast even though it feels slow. But I do think it is getting higher.

I progress to the punch drills. These are getting better, but I need to be more forward and snap the left knee faster. It is taking some work to correct this bad habit I may have picked up from my left knee issues. I also am having trouble stopping it at A8-9 and my wrists are turning over with the irons. 

In the combo drill, I am trying to feel the fast snap of the left leg. The face on view shows my hands turning over too much.

The full is improving marginally, but the hand turnover is going to cause some overdraws.

I did the same drill with the driver. Oddly, the driver full swing shows less hand turnover. The head is still too far out at A2. My hand are getting higher at A4.

Still a work in progress.

On the course, I am starting to trust my set up of feet aimed left, face aimed right. Last round, the first couple of drives were left, but then I had 8/10 fairways hit after that including the tight 18th. My par 3s weren’t good though and I need to open the face up more with irons and woods off the tee.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3067775

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

More work on my pieces the last couple of days. I really focused on backswing tempo and slowing it down. Started with a three count feel, then the next day went to a four count. Still needs to be better.

Started with 6 iron chips to try and get the feel down of my left knee driving the hip back. It seems okay here but the arms are still doing too much.

Then to full swing with the three count backswing, still too fast. I still haven’t got the left knee to do it’s job here. I kept the backswing regular speed in the video below to show the tempo. 

Next day did the same chips then the punch drill. This has improved a bit I think, but still needs work.

Backswing feels better with a four count, but the left knee reverts a bit and the hands turnover in the full swing below.

Changing the picture is going to take more work here.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

More work on my priority pieces. The only add was to work with the feel of starting to shift left before the arms start down. Played with this feel today and it helped. I’m still doing the drills before I film the full swing. I feel like my hips are a bit more forward, but the left leg is still not doing enough.

Same with driver.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Worked on the feel of getting my left leg to do more. I want to feel the snap of the left knee straightening and pushing my left hips back. Here are a 6 iron and driver swing with rehearsal.

Also worked on partial wedges trying to get launch down to around 30 degrees.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of rounds I’ve been working with a feel in the takeaway that we went over in Erie. It was my third piece after long, slow, high backswing and fast hips A6-8. At A2, I can tend to have the head too far out and the face closed. The feel is letting the face open more and arms move out and up. The head should be less out at A2 and less closed. The split view below shows on the right where I want to be.

8F4FEC93-7860-42AF-9B0D-3F4EEC86A68C.jpeg

I worked on this with 6 iron and driver today. Here’s on of the swings with 6 iron.

My position at A2 looks better here. I also think the feel gets my hands higher at A4.

41E3D003-3BDD-40B6-B2B7-148B1CA59E27.jpeg

For driver, the feel also seems to help me deliver more speed. I had drives of 268, 249 and a few more in the 230 - 240s the last two rounds where I specifically worked with this feel. That’s up from the 220s. Higher hands let’s my right elbow get in the correct position during the downswing, which I think helps the head from releasing too soon.

I’m a little off with this swing, but will keep working on it. Flight was a push draw with misses only right. Eliminating the hook would be excellent as it losses tons of distance and I can eliminate half the fairway.

D4F893CC-A14A-486D-AE82-E2DD5BF3604D.jpeg

No driver hooks in this round.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3083760?hole_id=52405729

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t filmed in a couple of weeks. I’ve been playing and practicing at the range. Here are a couple of swings working on my feels of long, slow backswing and left leg push. The later has been a challenge. My left knee seems reluctant to fully straighten at times. I’m also letting my hands turn over in these videos more than I like. I will add focus to that next practice session.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on a few pieces the last month with driver and irons and now added a couple more for distance wedges. I’ve been playing pretty well lately but I still have an over draw miss with my irons.

I’m launching the wedges too high. Working with my Evolvr instructor we’ve identified a couple of issues that cause me to lay back the club a bit. I need to keep rotating my upper body through contact while adding a bit of palmar flexion to A6. I also want my head to keep rotating though impact. Below I’m rehearsing the feel. This one looks a bit better from face on. DTL it looks like I’m a little flat on the backswing.

6 iron swing looks like I’m a little flat too, which may be happening as I tire on the course too. I’m also letting my hands turn over too soon here. My miss with irons is an overdraw. It’s improving but still needs work.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

lay down the club a bit.

Lay back the club

• Thumbs Up 1

Worked some on my backswing yesterday. On the course, and even the range, I feel its getting flat and short. I also may be starting to take it in too deep and leave the club too far out at A2-3.

Here I am rehearsing the feel of the arms going up as I rotate. I am doing it too fast, which I tend to do. I am also watching myself on my iPad with MirrorVision.

Here is the same drill with a slow motion swing. I pulled this one a bit, but the backswing is where I want it. I’m still a bit too out at A2-3.

Finally no rehearsal. This is where I see if the picture is changing. Getting there. I know the feel now at the start of the backswing and will use that on the course hopefully.

Below are my check points. A2 is still a bit out but the face angle is better.
4F6E539B-44AC-49AC-BEBF-7653981A9BD3.jpeg

A4 is where I want it or maybe a bit higher. 
88853B32-7197-420F-94D9-EEB9E9A606B8.jpeg
A5 is pretty good. 
1128F69E-320F-4CEF-8A20-B7F3F47DF298.jpeg

A6 is not too inside but my left wrist could have more flexion. It’s a little cupped.

51B8CBDA-CD29-4568-BD34-EC1DAB61A304.jpeg

A7 shows I didn’t early extend too much (using the pole as a guideline) and have decent hip rotation for a 61 year old. The more I do this work, the more rotation I have at impact. So it is slowing changing the picture.
1F66325D-B298-44AE-B056-4B7DAA0071D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread