IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Still struggling a bit with the driver to the point where I don’t have much confidence on the course as to where the ball will be going unless I swing easy. I think I revert a bit and am swing OTT. The swing feel I have been using is trying to feel the hands dropping behind me from the top. But there still is some outward movement and the club head gets ahead of the hands at A6. The video below shows this.

A6 with the swing above.
IMG_5663.jpegSo I switched the feel in this practice to something others have posted, trying to feel like I’m trying to hit my right pocket on the downswing with my hands or I’m trying to get my hands to stay closer to my body. I think @GolfLug suggested that. The results are better.

Here’s A6 for a couple of different swings with this feel. I’m still early extending a bit though.

IMG_0927.jpegIMG_0926.jpeg

I’ll take it to the range today and see how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@boogielicious what are you feeling for the two practice swings?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

@boogielicious what are you feeling for the two practice swings?

On the second one, I’m definitely feeling like I’m swinging down from the top. The first one feels like my hands want to drop, but my turn is forcing them out. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

On the second one, I’m definitely feeling like I’m swinging down from the top. The first one feels like my hands want to drop, but my turn is forcing them out. 

I don’t mean between the two videos, I mean with your two practice swings before you hit the ball. Is there a difference in feel? You make two different practice swings.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I don’t mean between the two videos, I mean with your two practice swings before you hit the ball. Is there a difference in feel? You make two different practice swings.

the first rehearsal was just the arm feel. the second was arms with body turn. Same feels, but added body turn to get the feeling of the hands staying closer to the body.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

the first rehearsal was just the arm feel. the second was arms with body turn. Same feels, but added body turn to get the feeling of the hands staying closer to the body.

What’s it look like if you just hit the ball with your arms only? Dump the club way behind you, hit ball.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

"Throw" the clubhead behind you too. You can do the stuff you're doing slowly, but even in those the clubhead stays really high. It's going to get "rotated" out (by your pivot) when it stays that high.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

"Throw" the clubhead behind you too. 

Yea that’s what I mean by dump the club, just better articulated.

One of the feels for you, Scott, that was discussed in Erie was to feel like the club is going to hit the ground behind you IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

image.jpeg

The left arm and your club should be where the green lines are on the left. On the right, the clubhead is still very high. The hands are very high. You have to do this thing fast, because your downswing is going to be done in 1/5 to 1/4 second.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

More work on the driver. Sent these into Evolvr. Worked on the feel from Erie of trying to swing the driver head down and behind me. Also worked on the left leg feel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

My latest Evolvr lesson focused on me falling toward the target near the end of the backswing to get my weight moving forward more. I’m keeping too much weight on the right foot. These two swings worked on that. Erik is also trying to address the ‘Why” of my left arm being bent at impact. I’ve always seem to have it and we’re trying to address it. 

This first swing I’m rehearsing the fall left with my back and left hip. Seems to feel better in the swing and I feel more forward with more axis tilt at impact. But my left arm is still bent quite a bit and I still have a bit too much weight on my rear foot at impact.

This swing I didn’t fall forward as much but I added the feel of continuing to rotated the left shoulder through impact to see if that affected the left arm. Maybe my left shoulder is too protracted at impact? Lots of work to do though. This was just the first practice working on it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Just remember the forward motion starts (visibly, you'll feel like you do it sooner) at around P3.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

Here are some baseline swings for the start of the season. I haven’t practiced outside much and have really just done slow swings indoors. Focus was on completing the backswing, maintaining eye contact with the ball in transition and falling towards the target from P3 to P4. On the course I tend to speed up, shorten and lose eye contact, so I want to fix that.

I’ve also had some wrist soreness on and off this winter so I’ve limited hitting off mats. These don’t look too bad considering. They felt like 75% swings. My hips felt a little tight today too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

Worked a bit today on my swing. Really tried to slow things down. The FO swings felt like 60%. Working on the same items.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogielicious, there is a way to play golf by using your right hand thumb as a pressure point at impact, but it's not the best way. Using your trigger finger to pressure a shaft down and out through impact is better. It is a different dynamic. Below is not the best vid but you will get the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been working on this drill since my Evolvr lesson. I’m trying to correct my impact position where my left arm is collapsing a bit. The feel is having the club come down behind me a I extend my right arm then turn to impact. I’m making a little progress. The full swings are what feels like 50-60%. Impact looks a little better but I have a ways to go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott

My Swing Thread

Worked on my swing again this morning. @iacas had me tweak my setup a bit first. Get a little further from the ball, a little more bent over and a little more knee bend. Here was last week:

IMG_1155.jpeg

And today

IMG_1156.jpeg

Result is giving myself a bit more room and having my arms hang more vertical.

I used the same arm feels in the drill, extending right arm and having the club go behind me, but we added a shift on the my left leg while lowering the club, then kicking my left butt cheek back during the turn. It looks pretty good in the drill.

On a 50% swing, the butt is not quite getting there. There’s a Latin term for this I think, something like Incomprehendia Buttox. Need to keep working on this. The arms look better.

Face on with the drill I’m trying to get more weight on the left side before doing the turn. This one could have had a more exaggerated weight shift. I also topped the little fella badly.

50% impact looks a bit better but not quite there. I rehearsed the weight shift better.

Did a few short pitches at the end of the session.

• Thumbs Up 4

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the same feels swinging down wide and behind. Left hip still could be better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott

My Swing Thread