IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Vishal,

I’m a little fuzzy on what you are saying here. This change is certainly perplexing me.

I will try to clarify later tonight. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Vishal,

I’m a little fuzzy on what you are saying here. This change is certainly perplexing me.

Not sure why the video didn't embed.

Edited by iacas
Embedded
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Not sure why the video didn't embed.

Because you probably pasted it as rich text (noted in the guide).

And I don't hate the advice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Worked a bit this morning on my priority pieces. There’s no breeze in my driveway and the sun was strong. I was sweating quite profusely, which is endlessly annoying.

I feel I’ve made minor progress on the face to path part. I do catch myself rehearsing incorrectly and try to correct. I’m exaggerating the bow feel in transition and the ulnar extension which should close the face to path. In the actual swing it’s not as much. I’m also slightly OTT. On the course, I’ve had a few high pull draws, which makes sense. If I think about swinging out more, it straightens out. This feels like a 50% swing.

Driver was better the last round. I go with the same feel but try to get the backswing to finish higher and longer and relax a little bit in transition. Most drives were slight pushes that either faded a touch or drew a little. I did have a couple that sliced but I could feel the issue and I rushed. the downswing.

Below, the first rehearsal was incorrect. The second was better. I’m still doing something in the actual swing between A5 and 6 that’s causing the wrist to lose the bow and I don’t know what it is. I also wish I was less OTT, but that’s not the focus at the moment. This swing was also too short in the backswing.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Practiced twice today. First I worked on some pieces and I didn’t like what I saw in the video. Then, I got my Evolvr lesson back from @iacas and he gave me another feel and idea to work on. Basically, it’s a combination of palmar flexion at the top and forearm rotation to impact. The later is what I am having trouble with. They are somewhat independent.

Erik talked about drawing a line through my wrist through the radius and ulna and seeing how it should rotate through impact. So, because I’m a nerd, I took a chopstick and wrist brace and made a training aid so I could see the rotation. It’s not exactly the right angle, but it’s close. I also should really feel like I’m swinging straight down from the top and have the club head drop back behind me while I palmar flex. Here is a 6 iron below. I didn’t swing much faster in any of my practice swings. The pool noodle is there to make me swing out more and not pull the grip left through impact.

Here is the driver.

Down the line views. 

I only did these mapping swings today. Tomorrow, if the mapping looks okay, I will move onto slow full swings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Those look good. Not the excessive shaft lean, pulling the hands left (which doesn't square the face much), etc.

Curious to see the slow full swings.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This morning’s work consisted of repeating the drill from yesterday and then doing 25% swings. The feel at the top is dropping the hands behind me while palmar flexing then using my body turn to finish the swing. This drops the club head behind as well and closes the face.

I also focus on forearm rotation so a line draw through my radius and ulna points at my hip at impact. I’ve dubbed the wrist brace I modified with a chopstick ‘General Gau’s Training Glove’.😜

Here is a 6 iron with the training glove.

Now a 6 iron without GGTG. I pause at the top in this one.

Face on. I like how the wrist looks here at impact. The radius/ulna line would be right through my thigh. I’m checking that in the rehearsal.

Same drills with the driver. First with GGTG.

Then DTL with a 25% swing. In this one, I focused a bit more on having the body turn complete the swing. The turn plus forearm rotation should square the face up at impact.

Face on. Again, I’m checking the radius/ulna line here. My hands are not too far in front at impact either.

I think this was a pretty productive practice. I won’t try and faster swings until I make sure I’m on the right track.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Good.

You should be able to slam the face shut without flipping. I'll send you a picture or two. Hell, twist and roll so much the toe leads through like a knife, 90° closed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This morning I did some drills where I exaggerate the forearm rotation before impact. The feel is getting my right hand on top of the shaft after transition. Then over rotate the shaft with my forearms to really close the face.  It’s an odd feeling, but it is supposed to feel different and awkward.

6 iron would have been a low pull in this drill.

Same with driver.

At the end of the session I did a couple of 50% swings. I’m playing tomorrow and it will be curious how it goes. The exaggerations are not as pronounced in the faster swings, but the positions look better.

In the driver video, I particularly like the slow motion drop of sweat that is falling off my hat brim and trying to outrace the club shaft.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

Watching these really makes me realize how much slower I need to be going when working on this. Those 25% swings were smooth as butter. Nice work!

• Thumbs Up 2

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• 2 weeks later...

Todays work (aka sweatfest) was doing the same feel drill. Dew point was 72 🥵 so I was soaked in only 20 minutes. 

I started with slow swings to get the feel of swinging down from the top, extending the right arm and flexing the left wrist to get the right hand on top. Below are two 75% swings. It seems the faster I go, the harder it is to keep the right hand on top and the flex in my left wrist. When I do it slow or with chip/ punch swings, I can maintain it.

Here is trying to feel swinging down towards my right pocket.

Same with the driver. Slow punch or chip shots followed by slow full shots with the same feel. 

It’s been hard to recreate this on the course the last three rounds, which is frustrating.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Any thoughts on sequencing of fixes of what you're working on versus body work? Even in the 25% swing where you said you were focusing on using the body to get everything through and rotated your hips and shoulders were barely open at impact and you weight is shifted forward only a little. And it looks like you're pushing your hips towards the ball by impact as well. All together improving those was what opened up the space for me to achieve some of the hand path fixes and more natural face closing that you're working on.

I'm no teacher so take it FWIW. I love learning about these things though so if I'm wrong that it might be important to fix/improve those body issues first, or that those are issues at all, I'd be super interested to hear why.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

2 hours ago, mdl said:

Any thoughts on sequencing of fixes of what you're working on versus body work? Even in the 25% swing where you said you were focusing on using the body to get everything through and rotated your hips and shoulders were barely open at impact and you weight is shifted forward only a little. And it looks like you're pushing your hips towards the ball by impact as well. All together improving those was what opened up the space for me to achieve some of the hand path fixes and more natural face closing that you're working on.

I'm no teacher so take it FWIW. I love learning about these things though so if I'm wrong that it might be important to fix/improve those body issues first, or that those are issues at all, I'd be super interested to hear why.

I do have a piece of moving my upper center toward the target. It applies more for irons, but with driver my hips should move forward too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Here is trying to feel swinging down towards my right pocket.

Where did that come from?

And remember, the radius-ulna (forearm) rotates toward your left hip throughout. Otherwise the face is going to stay wide open.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Where did that come from?

You mentioned it in an Evolvr lesson, swinging down from the top or feel like my hands go behind me toward my right hip or pocket. I tend to swing out and not down.

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

And remember, the radius-ulna (forearm) rotates toward your left hip throughout. Otherwise the face is going to stay wide open.

This part is what I am having trouble doing when I speed the swing up.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You mentioned it in an Evolvr lesson, swinging down from the top or feel like my hands go behind me toward my right hip or pocket. I tend to swing out and not down.

Okay. Just don't over-do it.

46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This part is what I am having trouble doing when I speed the swing up.

Because you tend to shallow the shaft a bit too much, and this would have the forearms working the other direction.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Because you tend to shallow the shaft a bit too much, and this would have the forearms working the other direction.

So don’t worry about being steep then? Will this tend to make me be OTT or should I not worry about that either? Trying to be a stupid monkey here. Key 4 is stuck in my mind.

Scott

My Swing Thread