IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

If you're only going to gain 10 yards but risk losing strokes off errant shots, I'd say it's not worth using the driver.

Are you setting up differently on the range? I'm assuming you have mats; is the geometry (or lack thereof) on the course changing your ball position or alignment?

I never trust my driver on the range because I can never get the tee height the same as how I play it on the course. I once bought my own rubber tees just so I can cut them and bring them to the range, but I have misplaced them somewhere.

I try to set up the same in both places. I think the lack of confidence doesn't help either. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

the odd thing is at the range, my drives are predictable with a slight fade to a 20-30 yard fade. I could play with that. But on the course I am having a two way miss and really have no confidence in it right now. I'll keep working my lesson and see what happens.  

Yeah, that's the key question: what's different about the process (obviously resulting in the different ball flight) at the range versus at the course?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, that's the key question: what's different about the process (obviously resulting in the different ball flight) at the range versus at the course?

I think I am setting up the same way. I work on my set up t the range so I can replicate the process on the course. I'll try to film my driver swing on the course and post it or send it in to Stephan.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Below are my driver swings with a foam ball. For this practice, I start out with loosening up then a minute or two of mapping my lesson priority pieces. Then I progress to slow swings, maybe 25 to 50% to get the feels down.  Next I move to what feels like 60, 75 the full speed swing focusing on the feel.

My Evolvr pieces from my latest lesson involve trying to get the shaft to flatten more at A5 by delaying my wrist cock and getting the shaft steeper from A3 to 4. Then at transition, I flatten the shaft by flattening my wrist and swinging out more. I try to feel that in my left index finger as well as my wrist. Stephan also want my hands closer to my body with my arms more straight down.

It seems to work well with the slower swings. But as I get faster, I have a harder time flattening and feeling the wrist flatten.

DTL 60%

DTL 75

DTL Full

face on 60

face on 75

face on full

@iacas this is how I try and set up on the course as well. I pick my target and a point a few feet in front off my ball that I want to align my body to. With this set up, I am expecting it to fade, so my foot line and body alignment will be to the left side of the fairway. The face of the driver is open at set up.

I did notice in these videos that my right foot is a bit back closing the stance a bit even though I was trying to square it to the mat. The ball is starting out right of my body alignment. I see that on the range too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Not much secondary axis tilt at the top. Have you submitted a driver-specific video to Evolvr? I don't want to say too much as I don't know exactly what you're doing in Evolvr right now.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Not much secondary axis tilt at the top. Have you submitted a driver-specific video to Evolvr? I don't want to say too much as I don't know exactly what you're doing in Evolvr right now.

I submitted the two full speed ones here to Evolvr. I have been sending video in about every two to three weeks. We've been working on the axis tilt too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Working on club face control with my driver for my latest Evolvr lesson. With the changes we've made flattening the swing at A5, I have had trouble with leaving the face open with the driver. It hasn't affected the other clubs.

My range session yesterday was basically working on this. After loosening up, I started with driver partial swings by going to A6, then finishing the swing from there. Focus was flattening my wrist to close the face more at A6. I reviewed video as I went.

Then I progressed to full swings at  50% speed. I set up a gate with two alignment rods and worked to launch the ball through the gate (from LSW).

The gate really helps visualizing where I want to start the ball. My shot zone for full swings is approximately between those two distance markers, but a little wider (maybe 40 yards. The gate was set up narrower than that. I did maybe 30 "chips" and 30 50% swings. I only did 5 full swings at the end. Flight was predominantly a fade to push fade.

I need to keep working on this to get confidence back with the driver.

Below are the chips.

Below are the 50% swings.

Screen shot of a full swing A5 position and the 50% gate drill A5 position. I'm making progress on flattening the shaft at A5.

July 10.jpg

But at A6, I'm still a bit open faced.

July 10 A6.jpg

• Upvote 3

Scott

My Swing Thread

Played two days in a row and for the most part the full swings were better including the driver. I actually won one of the long drive holes in my tournament on Wednesday with a 260 yarder. 

Yesterdays round started off well, but then the hooks came back, especially with my tee shots. I had trouble getting the feel back. I will work this weekend into a net and focus on my lesson drills with mapping and slow swings. 

• Upvote 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Swing is look goooooood, Scott!

More net practice this weekend with focus on flattening the shaft at A5 and closing the face a bit at A6. The feel is still slower wrist hinge and more vertical shaft at A4. Then I flatten the shaft to A5 with a little palmar flexion going to A6. I need to flatten before flexion otherwise the shaft doesn't steepen. It's not as complicated as it sounds. It is more like just let the transition happen without forcing it.

I start out with going to A6 and hitting from there. Then move on to progressively faster swings.My instructor noticed on the A6 drill that I was steepening when I went back a bit to start the downswing. I focused on not doing that in these. 

The iron needs to be a bit steeper at A4 to match the driver.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I played three days in a row, which is unusual for me. 18 on Tuesday and two 9 hole rounds on Wed and Thursday. I walked and each day was 90F or above. I drank lots and lots of water.

I kept the Driver out of the bag as an experiment. I have been having control issues with it and it has been costing me strokes. I used 3W in it's place with some success. I really didn't lose that much distance, which means I need to work on my driver more.

For swing thoughts, I tried to keep only one going from my Evolvr lessons. The feel I have been working on is allowing the club to flatten in transition before starting the downswing and to swing out not down. For the most part, that worked out pretty well. Occasionally I would have a hook because my right elbow would get out of position and get stuck behind me. I backed off on the amount of palmar flexion and try to flatten my wrist at the top. If I torque it too much, hook city.

I want to go back to the driver though and will continue to work on control using the gate drill. I can play a fade and would prefer that to the hooks. I just need to get confidence on the fade and aligning left.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 10 months later...

Finally able to start practicing again. Wrist and elbow are better. Left knee is not better, but the compression wrap helps. Just working on the turn from the top in these swings. I was battling a flip and Stephan had me focus on just that. My feels are getting my right elbow to move down and out front as I rotate from the top. I also don't want my hands to be active because I was casting a bit.

I did notice how wide open the face of my driver is at A6. I will have to work on that. The knee felt ok after this session, so the wrap is helping.

I sent the 7 iron videos to Evolvr.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 5 weeks later...

July 4 - Firstt time I've been able to practice in a month. I had to take two weeks completely off for my wrist. It feels better now and I was able to hit a few real balls without pain. 

Below are videos hitting foam balls for my practice. Focusing on eliminating casting. Impact looks better but my over take rate needs work. I have to keep my body rotating through impact. 

You can see I'm wearing my new battle gear! This wrist brace has stays in it, which helps at impact. Also, check out my Robocop knee brace!:-P it is actually more comfortable than it looks. It loads when the knee straightens and take pressure off the torn meniscus. I've walked 4 to 5 miles in it and the knee feels much better after than with just compression  

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

How's the speed feel? Because I don't see any reason you can't shoot some good scores with those moves.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

How's the speed feel? Because I don't see any reason you can't shoot some good scores with those moves.

Pretty good actually. Those felt about 70% in the video. 

I'm going to send these to Stephan. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Swing looks great (I know... that sounds better coming from Erik). More importantly, it's good to hear you can move around more without the pain. Good luck on a complete recovery.

Jon

Just now, JonMA1 said:

Swing looks great (I know... that sounds better coming from Erik). More importantly, it's good to hear you can move around more without the pain. Good luck on a complete recovery.

Thanks!

Scott

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You can see I'm wearing my new battle gear! This wrist brace has stays in it, which helps at impact. Also, check out my Robocop knee brace!:-P

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread