IGNORED

Tennis-Golf elbow

jusanothajoe
Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am 49 years old, played golf off and on since I was 17. Never knew how to properly hold a club or really how to hit a golf ball. It was baseball grip and whack away. Started back playing about 11 months ago and decided to try to do it right. Read that my old grip could cause shoulder, elbow, and wrist problems so I started getting the grip out of my palms and hitting down on the ball. Well after about ten rounds got a pain in my elbow and it has lasted for two months.

Tried ice, Advil and a topical cream a member here suggested, nothing helped. Broke down saw a doctor he said it was tennis elbow. Got a steroid shot in the elbow ( hurt like hell ) going to see a PT, got a cushion type elbow brace and prescription for anti-inflamatory.

Also told no golf for a week ( hurt more than the shot ) Anyone else been through this ? any hope of it ever really going away ?

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

If you search, you'll find a couple of good threads on it. FWIW, tennis and golf elbow are 2 different things. Tennis elbow affects the outside of the elbow and golf affects the inside ( the side closest to your body). Generally. Ice. anti-inflamatories, and rest are what you need. Probably more than one week rest too.... As you'll find out in PT, there are good stretching exercises to help healing and prevent recurrence too. Most get through it just fine, even though it can be a bit of a pain.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you search, you'll find a couple of good threads on it. FWIW, tennis and golf elbow are 2 different things. Tennis elbow affects the outside of the elbow and golf affects the inside ( the side closest to your body).

Generally. Ice. anti-inflamatories, and rest are what you need. Probably more than one week rest too....

As you'll find out in PT, there are good stretching exercises to help healing and prevent recurrence too. Most get through it just fine, even though it can be a bit of a pain.....

As David points out, stretching exercises do help. I experienced elbow pain, did the simple wrist bending stretches, bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FML7SW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

Seemed to help, and use composite or graphite shafts in my clubs.

It may also help if you have adequate bounce in your irons -- if you're a digger, not enough bounce will tear up your shoulder, elbows, etc.as that club will dig in the ground and not come out easily.  And check out the swing ... you may be coming in too steep.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

As David points out, stretching exercises do help. I experienced elbow pain, did the simple wrist bending stretches, bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FML7SW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

Seemed to help, and use composite or graphite shafts in my clubs.

It may also help if you have adequate bounce in your irons -- if you're a digger, not enough bounce will tear up your shoulder, elbows, etc.as that club will dig in the ground and not come out easily.  And check out the swing ... you may be coming in too steep.

Thanks for the responses. Ping G20 irons so I think bounce is OK. Still more of a picker, very small divots. Searched and found the stretching exercises will try those. Thanks for the help !

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Thanks for the responses. Ping G20 irons so I think bounce is OK. Still more of a picker, very small divots. Searched and found the stretching exercises will try those. Thanks for the help !

We are all here to help.

You might try the band -- I was able to play without pain when wearing it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Sounds like you tried the CT ream I recommended. If it didn't work, you may not have tried it long enough. It does work. The painin my elbows was pretty severe too. It is a pain killer and anti-inflammatory. Hope you find something that works.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Sounds like you tried the CT ream I recommended. If it didn't work, you may not have tried it long enough. It does work. The painin my elbows was pretty severe too. It is a pain killer and anti-inflammatory. Hope you find something that works.

Yes I have the CT cream, actually still using it. just can't really tell it is doing any good

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Yes I have the CT cream, actually still using it. just can't really tell it is doing any good

Keep at it. With the amount of inflammation you have to be causing such pain, it takes a while to work. When I first started using it, I would put the cream on it every time I thought of it. Every hour on the hour if possible. It was several years ago, but I think it took a few weeks. Now i use it at the first sign of any discomfort and it goes right away. Now I only use a couple of applications every month because the pain is gone. I still golf as much if not more, so the cause of the pain will always be there. Trust me. i wouldn't have recommended it if it didn't work for me and other i have told about it. Elbow pain really sucks.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 weeks later...

Update;

Weeks rest after shot, taking anti-inflammatory, wearing the compression brace, have played three rounds, pain gone. Hope I'm one of he lucky ones and pain stays gone.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Exact issue here, what is that cream you mention?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I had tennis elbow some years ago that affected my golf swing in a big way with much pain. I took anti inflammatory meds that didn't help. Then a friend of mine told me to use my fingers and dig/massage my affected arm. It helped.

Here you go [URL=http://www.fernsnutrition.com/carpaltunnel.html]http://www.fernsnutrition.com/carpaltunnel.html[/URL]

I'll give it a try, thanks very much!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I have a friend that has tennis elbow. I recommended it and he got almost immediate relief because his wasn't so bad. It's safe because the pain killer is arnica, not an NSAID or the like. Has some other natural pain killers like camphor and peppermint oil.

This is interesting. At least to me - I started golfing about 15 years ago, but have recently returned after a somewhat self-imposed exile from the game. Just before golf season got going, I started to have the inside elbow pain you're talking about.

The pain is mostly gone after 3-1/2 months. I didn't know what to do for it, but will mark this thread in case it returns.

Thanks for the info, guy!

PK

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!