IGNORED

Grip Change

Note: This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I have been playing golf for over 15 years and never had a lesson. I started playing using the ten finger grip and haven't changed. I feel like my grip may be contributing to some of the problems I have had. Long story short I am going to try to change my grip to an interlocking one. I have played around with it a bit on the range and it always feels very strange to me and I don't hit it well, which I know it to be expected with swing changes.

My question is, how many of you have changed your grip and how long/hard was it to get comfortable with the change?

Welcome to the site. A small adjustment in the grip can feel HUGE, just have to stick with it, monitor it, practice while watching TV, eventually it will feel normal.

BTW check out this thread

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey guys,

I have been playing golf for over 15 years and never had a lesson. I started playing using the ten finger grip and haven't changed. I feel like my grip may be contributing to some of the problems I have had. Long story short I am going to try to change my grip to an interlocking one. I have played around with it a bit on the range and it always feels very strange to me and I don't hit it well, which I know it to be expected with swing changes.

My question is, how many of you have changed your grip and how long/hard was it to get comfortable with the change?

I had the same issue several years ago when I switched. It felt awkward and uncomfortable at first. Part of that was I wasn't doing it quite correctly, so checking out mvmac's link is a great idea. Once I got it right and gave it a little time it felt normal. Just like any change in your set up and swing you have to be consistent and dedicated to it.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

A few years ago I made the switch from a baseball grip to an interlocking grip. Id say it felt weird for a good 700 balls (10 buckets). What ended up happening for me was I really wanted to feel like my hands were working together.. so I messed around with the overlap and the interlocking. I was more comfortable with the interlocking so I went with that. Definitely read the link Mike posted above. Having the club more in your fingers makes a huge difference.
  • Upvote 1

The bane of my game right now, I suspect. Always used an interlock until pain in my right ring finger became unbearable last year. Switched to 10-finger and while it's now comfortable, game hasn't been the same. Severe decline. Try going back from time to time but pain comes back after a few swings. Killing me right now...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I've used all three primary grips at one time or another: baseball- ten finger, overlap and interlock.

Used interlock in grade school because my Doug Ford* golf book said it was good / switched to baseball for more power - it created big slice / back to interlock / used overlapping for 30 years / switched to interlocking about three years ago - it has improved (lessened) my grip pressure.

Also, I have used both variable ball position (up and back) and single ball position (even with left instep).

Interlock and overlap, and both ball positions, worked reasonably well at different times during my golf career. Whenever you make a fundamental change like that, it takes a while to absorb it.

-----------------

* Ford won the 1955 PGA and the 1957 Masters.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!