IGNORED

Did anybody hear Faldo and others making fun of Tiger

RightEdge
Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's just Faldo's announcing style.  He always sounds like he's about to run down there, grab a club and show them how it's done.  He comes off as a bit of a jerk a lot of the time (and I'm sure he is, too) . . but I like him way better than freaking Gary McCord . .

I don't recall that particular remark, but I am getting seriously tired of McCord's "schtick".  All this crap about calling the shots, will he make it or not,  or I've got a good feeling about this one is getting old.  I don't give a rat's patootie as to whether or not he guesses correctly or not.  He acts as if everything he says is a routine for "Last Comic Standing" or something.  I don't mind a few light-hearted comments now and again, but he tries to make every comment wry or witty whether called for or not.  He thinks he's the Robin Williams of golf announcers.  Not a title I'd particularly relish.

Faldo is a class A ball buster. I remember during the 2012 Masters, he was proposing Bubba's championship dinner for 2013 would be a Happy Meal, and coloring books with crayons IIRC.

hahahaha

"Witty golf quote."

I don't recall that particular remark, but I am getting seriously tired of McCord's "schtick".  All this crap about calling the shots, will he make it or not,  or I've got a good feeling about this one is getting old.  I don't give a rat's patootie as to whether or not he guesses correctly or not.  He acts as if everything he says is a routine for "Last Comic Standing" or something.  I don't mind a few light-hearted comments now and again, but he tries to make every comment wry or witty whether called for or not.  He thinks he's the Robin Williams of golf announcers.  Not a title I'd particularly relish.

As I was reading your description of McCord I was reminded of Robin Williams and Jim Carrey. Then sure enough, you mentioned Williams at the end. These guys can't shut off the character. Every word has to be from the mouth of the possessed comic ventriloquist's dummy.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as I am concerned Faldo's opinions, like mine, are irrelevant. His words have to be pushed down peoples throats by some irresponsible media service to be heard. Tiger may be done, but his accomplishments are so much higher than those who speak ill of him.   It makes them look look like jealous idiots.  I don't like Woods the person, but I do admire his golf game.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

As I was reading your description of McCord I was reminded of Robin Williams and Jim Carrey. Then sure enough, you mentioned Williams at the end. These guys can't shut off the character. Every word has to be from the mouth of the possessed comic ventriloquist's dummy.

Great...that was exactly the point I was trying to make.  I will never understand the appeal of Robin Williams' enduring fame.  That fake Russian accent with every other phrase and the wild gesticulations for no reason at all.  I saw an interview with Lucille Ball once and she said that she wasn't funny in real life, but she could play funny.  I don't watch golf to be humored by the announcers.  As I said, every once in a while, if the situation warrants, it's OK.  McCord must think he gets paid by the quip.  Does he watch the playbacks later and say, "Nailed it!"?  I'm looking for insightful commentary, not sophomoric, idiotic tripe about whether or not a putt breaks 3 inches or 4 inches, or a player is "due", or how often he (Gary) calls the putt before the golfer strikes it.  I don't care!  I think I even notice some of the other announcers getting a little tired of it by their lack of comments on his comments. He needs to reel it back....way back.

I thought the comments weren't excessive on face value, but I did think they ran a little long. I'm both a tiger and Faldo fan, so take it as you will.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I am getting seriously tired of McCord's "schtick".

I could not agree more with this. I am sick of this guy. He's the Chris Berman of CBS. He's not funny, he's obnoxious and annoying. If I heard him ask that one guy one more time today "Okay, which way is this going to go" I swear I was going to throw my remote at the tv.

I could not agree more with this. I am sick of this guy. He's the Chris Berman of CBS. He's not funny, he's obnoxious and annoying. If I heard him ask that one guy one more time today "Okay, which way is this going to go" I swear I was going to throw my remote at the tv.

I couldn't agree more.  You'd think they had some kind of bet going as to who could predict which way the putts broke, and the guy wasn't even that close to the green.  You could tell the guy was getting a bit irritated at McCord's constantly pressing him for how many darn inches the stupid putt was going to break.  Gary, we don't care!  Please stop!

Hahaha, the funny part is he actually said that.

Oh, it's funny that he said it, and it's flat out just funny.

Look, Bubba is an interesting character.  I'm glad he's on tour, even if I'm lukewarm towards him personally and it's quite clear that the average golf nut on this forum thinks he's a shit.  He's colorful.  And I also want my announcers to be colorful.

I like Faldo.   I think he's the best of the main color commentators on network TV right now.  He's surpassed Miller, IMO, because Miller has gotten lazy, blaming every missed five footer or fairway on nerves, as if probability doesn't exist.  And Faldo will still be critical.  Redneck simpleton from FLAHRIDA who doesn't know any names of the Beatles?  Happy Meal sounds good, and accurate.

"Witty golf quote."

Man, you guys are crazy about McCord.  He's so fun.  He makes the average Thursday round at SuperMassiveXCorporation Open interesting by himself many times.  Along with Feherety.  What are you longing for?  Corporate puppet Jim Nantz with a CEO's hand up his ass droning on about their partnership with CBS?  Please.

"Witty golf quote."

Man, you guys are crazy about McCord.  He's so fun.  He makes the average Thursday round at SuperMassiveXCorporation Open interesting by himself many times.  Along with Feherety.  What are you longing for?  Corporate puppet Jim Nantz with a CEO's hand up his ass droning on about their partnership with CBS?  Please.

To each his own.  Coke....Pepsi.   Chevy....Ford.   McCord...Fingernails on Blackboard.

Another thing some announcers can't seem to grasp is that the contours of greens don't rely on the vicinity of certain lakes, mountains or other natural objects.  Sometimes a player will miss a putt and an announcer will be absolutely amazed that the ball didn't break toward (insert name of lake or mountain here).  Like the ball just defies physics and doesn't break the way it was supposed to.  "Oh, the putts here always break toward Inyo."  Hogwash.  A green can break any way it's designed and built.

Sometimes a player will miss a putt and an announcer will be absolutely amazed that the ball didn't break toward (insert name of lake or mountain here).  Like the ball just defies physics and doesn't break the way it was supposed to.  "Oh, the putts here always break toward Inyo."  Hogwash.  A green can break any way it's designed and built.

Haha.  Yeah, that's a bit annoying, I agree.  I literally never pay attention to the ocean, or the river, or the lake, etc, myself.  If I'm unsure, I simply look for the high point of the green, and the low point, which is often entirely independent of the local terrain.

But they do scout the course out, and often give valuable viewing information on how a putt they can't stand behind will likely move.  That adds to the viewing experience while the ball is rolling at the hole.

If I had one criticism of McCord, is that he should turn it off at certain times, and just be an informative announcer.  Still, I'll take him over many others.

"Witty golf quote."

But they do scout the course out, and often give valuable viewing information on how a putt they can't stand behind will likely move.  That adds to the viewing experience while the ball is rolling at the hole.

If I had one criticism of McCord, is that he should turn it off at certain times, and just be an informative announcer.  Still, I'll take him over many others.

They are wrong as often as they are right, so for me it adds nothing of value at all. The computer gemnerated line is almost always right, so that adds value. The announcers are guessing a lot of the time and it is stone cold obvious. If they don't know they should not say they know, because it then becomes obvious they were just guessing.

I love Feherty. He's actually funny. McCord is like Berman. His schtick is old and anything but funny.

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!