IGNORED

Chamblee and Nobilo get technical about Tiger's swing

Entropy
Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

mvmac, I think the swing speed and lauinch numbers you posted are pretty close to what Chamblee said they were the other night. Thanks.

• Administrator
mvmac, I think the swing speed and lauinch numbers you posted are pretty close to what Chamblee said they were the other night. Thanks.

He was talking about last year though IIRC. This year he's been injured.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The question I have for you is "have you paid attention to the other years in which he's had surgeries on his knees, etc.?" Also, he wasn't nearly 39 five years ago.

Yes I have. Since 2008, he'd had two knee surgeries, a back surgery, a neck strain, an elbow strain, an achilles heel,  an SI joint, etc. What is causing the body to break down? The swing? Bodybuidling? Old age? A lot of golfers go through injury issues....however, most don't deal with different injuries all over their body like this. Most of them deal with re-occuring issues in the same spot or area. I've done a lot of reading/research and do think there's something to the body building and workouts he's done. I know Hank Haney and other have suggested that as well. But if you don't think when he gets healthy another injury is right around the corner, you're fooling yourself.

Do you have some inside information on Tiger's body, knowing that one injury will always replace the other?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Do you have some inside information on Tiger's body, knowing that one injury will always replace the other?

It's like getting an old car fixed. You take it to the mechanic, they fix your car, you get it back and within a short time something else breaks down. After the 7th time you get it back, every time you sit in that car you know something is ready to break down.

I hope can stay healthy as much as anyone. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

Quite frankly, I think it is idiotic for Brandel, a player who never even sniffed a Major win during his entire career and thus; a player who knows nothing about what goes on in the mind of another player who has won such events 14 times no less; to feign standing in judgement of a guy who is and was many light years ahead in terms of skill, mental focus, raw talent and the desire to win.

When I hear Brandel, ripping on Tiger, I get the distinct impression that he's jealous - pure and simple.  Jealous that he never had the kind of ability that Tiger has and jealous that he never amounted to anything in the game of golf over the course of his career.  I did not even know Brandel's name, until the Golf Channel hired him.

Furthermore, from a purely technical standpoint, Brandel, could not be more WRONG!  Tiger, got "steeper" in his golf swing precisely to relieve pressure on his back and lower body - which was taking a pounding with his old swing.  Tiger, is steeper, but so was Jack, when he put on some age and so do most PGA Tour Players when they put on some years.  Why?  Because, they don't hit it as long as the younger players could behind them and they need to keep up.  How do you keep up?  You lag the club longer and compress the ball more by coming in steeper.  Brandel, should know this, if he was the "expert" that he comes off as on the Golf Channel.

Tiger, talked about this MANY years ago with Peter Kessler, during a one-on-one sit down with the former Golf Channel legend.  Tiger, said that he could hit the ball even farther, if he lagged more and flipped the club.  But, he said that his accuracy would not be as good, if he did that.  Tiger, knew how to increase distance many years when he was blowing it past everyone on tour, but because he was already long enough and his body was healthy, he never had to resort to lagging the club that much.  Did Brandel, tell you this?  No, of course not.  Brandel, is only interested in stoking fires for the Golf Channel - but he looks ridiculous to those that have been paying attention each time he does it.

Nobilo, had it spot on and it should not take a rocket scientist to figure it out.  Tiger, is "not healthy."  That sums it up in a nutshell.  You can play football injured.  You can play baseball injured.  You can play basketball injured.  You can play hockey inured.  You can't last for very long trying to swing a golf club with a serious back injury and Brandel, should know better.

Golf requires a sound Mind, Body and Soul.  Tiger, is still working on the Body.  He's always had the Mind and his Soul is at peace in a new personal life with his children and Lindsey.  His Body needs to catch up with his Mind and Soul.  But, that will ot happen until he takes the necessary time off to heal properly.

He's got just five (5) more tournament to win.  Five more Majors and he probably has 6-8 years remaining tops with 4-5 really good competitive years.  That is 16-20 shots at winning five (5) more championships.  At that point, he's the greatest to ever lace up a pair of spike.  Period.

Right now, there is no one even remotely close to achieving what Tiger, is set-up to achieve in his career thus far. That much should be abundantly clear to even the biggest Tiger Haters on the planet.  Phil Mickelson, is the closest and as much as I really like Phil, that ain't saying much.  Rory, has a long, long, long way to go before he becomes the consistently dominant player in the game, as Tiger, has proven himself to be over the course of almost 20 years now.

People need to wake up and put the present into proper context by looking at history and figuring out who actually has done what and for how long.

Jack is Number #1.

Tiger is Number #2.

Everybody else is a distant 3rd right now.  Everybody else.

Quite frankly, I think it is idiotic for Brandel, a player who never even sniffed a Major win during his entire career and thus; a player who knows nothing about what goes on in the mind of another player who has won such events 14 times no less; to feign standing in judgement of a guy who is and was many light years ahead in terms of skill, mental focus, raw talent and the desire to win.

Well he did play and win on tour. It is also his job and if the criteria for critiquing players was knowing what goes on in the mind of a 14-time major winner then Jack Nicklaus would be the only golf analyst :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Tiger Woods club head speed stats - source: www.pgatour.com

2007 - 122.99 (1st overall)

2008 - N/A (injured too long to be listed)

2009 - 119.17 (10th)

2010 - N/A (too few tournaments)

2011 - N/A (same as 2010)

2012 - 120.94 (8th)

2013 - 118.30 (28th)

Chamblee said he was at 117 last year and Nobilo said 120. It looks like club head speed with the driver was the least of his worries, however, because 2012 was a much worse year than 2013, yet his club head speed was much faster with driver.

I tend to agree that it seems pretty daunting that these injuries are becoming so frequent that we may never see Tiger Woods again performing at the maximum of his abilities for a long stretch of time. Post-U.S. Open 2008, he's only had 2 full, "Tiger-like" years, whether it was injuries, or personal issues, or waiting for the new swing to come around, that was holding him back. I think everyone just wishes there was a stretch of 5 or 6 years where the only news about Tiger Woods was how he was performing on the course, not how "x" problem was holding him back from being his best. I just want to watch him compete again consistently, not necessarily because I think he'll be Tiger Woods 2000 or 2007, but because it's agonizing to watch potential greatness be held back by injuries. I really wish he just packed it in until next year and healed up for 6 months or so, but it's got to be hard on the guy. I got antsy not long ago when I couldn't play golf for a week because I sprained my ankle. Imagine carrying the burden of being asked to be the GOAT every day but you have to sit it out for months because of a nagging injury? I think I'd start heavy drugs!

Why is there so much talk about clubhead speed? We know Tiger's been hurt all year. It wouldn't exactly be a surprise if it was lower. He says himself that he feels weaker in the core muscles and needs time to get the strength back.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Nobilo also said that if brandel was right about the steepness, it would show up in his angle of attack numbers on track man.they didn't actually show those numbers, so who knows. @9iron the chart doesn't support Chamblee because it shows that he doesn't hit it unusually high.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Nobilo also said that if brandel was right about the steepness, it would show up in his angle of attack numbers on track man.they didn't actually show those numbers, so who knows.

Correct, his angle of attack is pretty level.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!