IGNORED

picking a new golf ball

BrownCoast
Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

BrownCoast, don't rule out used golf balls.  Most times you can get what you want at a fraction of the new cost.

I've never ordered from this site, but they appear to have very reasonable prices.  Those b6 balls you were talking about are under $7 per dozen.

http://www.golfballsdirect.com/category_s/200.htm

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone played the taylormade noodle long & soft? they're on "sale" at the golf shop by my house 36 balls for $40 not sure if thats a sale cause i've never played them before

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

BrownCoast, don't rule out used golf balls.  Most times you can get what you want at a fraction of the new cost.

I've never ordered from this site, but they appear to have very reasonable prices.  Those b6 balls you were talking about are under $7 per dozen.

http://www.golfballsdirect.com/category_s/200.htm

Thanks Cool Breeze. I'm going to check out that link right away. sounds like they got wicked deals

I'm cutting out early from work and playing 18. I'm going to play my Volvik Vista iV's again. They feel hard, but they do spin and bite the green. I love the colors, especially the green ball (not the same color as the grass) :-) They are expensive, but Christmas is coming.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I would recommend any ball in the Gamer series. I am currently playing the Maxfli U/3 (2 dozen/$40) which for me (85-90 SS) are the longest balls I have hit and and are straight off the tee.  It also has a durable urethene cover which holds the greens well (although not as good as the Gamer Tour, Project (a), and certainly not as much spin as a Prov).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GG has TF Gamers 2 for $25 now - like the ball a lot ... Spun a full 7iron back 2 ft last time out - they check nicely

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Yeah is tough to find ones at a good prices. Now when you spend a little more all those balls perform pretty similar when you compare the ones that spin and those that spin less but it hurts a lot more when you shank a 3 dollar ball into the lake haha.

I think I'm going with the Volvik Vista Iv. They played pretty well today. They are $47 per dozen, so I'll probably plat Pro V1s on holes where balls could be easily lost.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I heard about these balls from MG golf that are supposed to be as good as or better than ProV1 @ $20/dozen. I bought a box to try them.

I have been playing $6 nine hole golf after 5 at my local courses. I get the last tee time, and most of the times I'm playing alone. The last four times I played alone I hit two balls. To keep track, I would play a ProV1 and the MG ball.

Here are the last 4 round results:

PV1 44 MG 41

PV1 43 MG 40

PV1 46 MG 42 (2 penalty strokes on the MG ball, none on the ProV1)

PV1 43 MG 38

I have no other metrics (putts, GIR, FIR) other than the scores. I teed off first with whichever ball comes out of my pocket first, so 50% of the time the MG was first and the other 50% the PV1 was first then I played each ball whichever was away first.

If I play a few more rounds like this and I don't see a reversion to the mean, I'm going to switch up to this MG ball for good.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, should I be posting these double ball rounds? Not sure if you're supposed to if it's not a "normal" (one ball) round.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

I heard about these balls from MG golf that are supposed to be as good as or better than ProV1 @ $20/dozen. I bought a box to try them.

I have been playing $6 nine hole golf after 5 at my local courses. I get the last tee time, and most of the times I'm playing alone. The last four times I played alone I hit two balls. To keep track, I would play a ProV1 and the MG ball.

PV1 44 MG 41

PV1 43 MG 40

PV1 43 MG 38

I have no other metrics (putts, GIR, FIR) other than the scores. I teed off first with whichever ball comes out of my pocket first, so 50% of the time the MG was first and the other 50% the PV1 was first then I played each ball whichever was away first.

If I play a few more rounds like this and I don't see a reversion to the mean, I'm going to switch up to this MG ball for good.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, should I be posting these double ball rounds? Not sure if you're supposed to if it's not a "normal" (one ball) round.

Hey rdsandy, is MG MacGreggor? or does it stand for something else? If nothing else about this ball it seems you have more confidence and the scores to prove it. My main concern is i know I can't shape shots, I'm just happy keeping it straight and in play. plus i dont want it to hurt the wallet going to buy balls every time I loose a dozen which has been often. That being said I really havent got to play much this year. I think I played my 5th round of the year yesterday.

No, it's not MacGregor as far as I know. It's just MGgolf.com (disclaimer, no affiliation with MG golf blah, blah, blah, just a customer)

As to the confidence, I love a ProV1 so it was not like I was putting out negative vibes when I was hitting the Titleist. In fact, I thought about that playing the rounds. I mark my balls with 2 red dots and 2 blue dots on each side of the ball and there were many times when I teed up I did not see the logo so wasn't sure which ball was which, until the logo randomly showed up in my sight line or on the green. The texture and color of each ball are very similar, plus they have been through a few rounds so there is some battle scars on each ball.

I will probably go out tomorrow and do this again, I'll report the results.

Bob

WITB

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. Never heard of that ball.

Has anyone played the taylormade noodle long & soft? they're on "sale" at the golf shop by my house 36 balls for $40 not sure if thats a sale cause i've never played them before

I play the Noodle Soft a fair bit of the time. Incredibly cheap ($14 for 15), available in a green box at your local Wallymart. They are surprisingly good balls, with a fair bit of feel to them. I like them very much, especially in the winter months.

Of course, playing with people who favor Bridgestones and Srixons etc (as I often do), well....it's a bit like cracking open a PBR at a party of craft beer drinkers.

Love the analogy of beer. Unfortunately Ive never seen the noodle soft boxes. I'll check the next time I'm in walmart but maybe its generally just found in the states not in canada. Here I've only seen the long and soft at golftown but next time I'm in walmart I'll go by their golf section and see what they have.

If you are looking for a cheap ball, I would say try the Callaway Supersoft, or the Top Flight Gamer Soft. ($20 and under).

I played the TopFlite Gamer with good result before I switched to the Supersoft. If I start having greenside troubles with the Supersoft, I would return to the basic Gamer - it bites better on partial shots.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Whatever you do... Don't pick ProV1...I can tell you want to REALLY bad, but can't justify it. So let that one go. There are so many great balls out there. Just play the one you like and performs for your game...and fits your budget.

Whatever you do...

Don't pick ProV1...I can tell you want to REALLY bad, but can't justify it. So let that one go.

There are so many great balls out there. Just play the one you like and performs for your game...and fits your budget.

No, there will be no purchases of pro v1's for me lol. Like I said I have used them in the past and they were great but I cant tell the difference other then felt harder then the e6. I really liked that ball but again not looking to spent that much money on a dozen balls. I'll probably end up buying the noodle+ long and soft 36 balls for $40 or the Wilson 50 elite. they even have the Wilson zip 24 balls for $25-$30.

PV1 44 MG 41

PV1 43 MG 40

PV1 43 MG 38

Any thoughts on this?

Played nine again tonight, two balls MG and ProV1:

MG 38, 2 GIR, 5 NGIR, 1 Sand save, 4 NGIR conversions, 14 putts, 1 penalty.

ProV1 45, 3 GIR, 3 NGIR, 1 NGIR conversion, 16 putts.

Bob

WITB

Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!