IGNORED

Ball Position Poll

janzaruk
Note: This thread is 4558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Where do you place the ball in your stance?

• In the middle EVERY time.
    • In the middle on all shots EXCEPT driver.
    • Move the ball according to the club chosen.

Yeah, I should have made the question more clear. I was referring to a standard shot. Not trying to work the ball either way. All conditions "normal". My mistake.
The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^That image is very helpful. I always change the ball position according to the selected club, but I didn't know which was the "correct" position, but that image make things more clear.

Thank you!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

What I do is not any of the options. My clubs I got from an adult for free and thus there to big for me(as I am 14). I always play the ball on my left foot and I play righty.

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

I think moving the ball position based on the club selection is the best way to go. Move it close to the middle for short irons and wedges and inside the left heel for the longer clubs is a pretty good way to do it based on what I have read and my experience.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

i play the ball based on the desired trajectory. the further forward i play, the higher i hit it. also true with the chips and pitches. if i want a low runner, i play it way back. if i want a high soft shot, i play it forward. When i want to work the ball either way, the trajectory (height) dictates ball position, the intended initial flightpath of the ball dictates feet alignment, and i turn the clubhead to point where i want the ball to end up.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH
4-gw Snake Eyes Viper Tour 1/2" long, 2 degrees up
wedges:TM chrome RAC 56*putter: Odyssey 2 ball DFX ball: Srixon Z-URC

Wow. Those guides always make me feel like I'm doing something wrong

I play my driver about halfway between center and my front instep. I play my fairway woods from the middle of my stance as well as 5-iron and longer (although I typically don't carry anything longer than a 5 in my bag). I play my 6-iron between the middle and my back instep and then move each shorter club 7, 8, 9, PW, SW, GW, LW back slightly until I'm pretty much hitting the wedges off my back foot. I've been doing it this way for a while because I used to pick everything clean and it was very inconsistent for me. Now, despite the ball being back in my stance, it takes off with only slightly lower than normal ball flight and the ball spins like crazy on the greens. My partners have nicknamed me "trenchy" though as I do tend to throw up quite the divot after contacting the ball.

In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

I keep it in the same position every time. Just in line with my left pec. ( Right handed). I believe it helps with muscle memory.

PW/SW/9I I play all these in the middle of my stance and move the ball position slightly further forward for each the other clubs respectively. Driver off the left heel.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I was having trouble with the dreaded lefts, so I moved the ball forward in my stance a bit for all of my clubs. This is helping me stay behind the ball, and it has seemed to really help. I do move it by club, but have just started to move it a bit forward for all of them.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I would have said:

-driver or woods I would play off my left heel
-long irons (4,5,6) in between the driver and center
-short irons/wedges (7,8,9) play center

Now, as others have said, I play the ball depending on the shot I am trying to make. A high lofted pitch, I'll play the ball a little forward from center to try and lift the ball. A low, straight chip, I'll play the ball a little farther back from center in order to hit in a more descending manner.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

ditto...do the same...i guess that's how i was taught and it has pretty much stuck on me like glue....

I think that I play most of my shots from about the same ball position, except for Driver/3-Wood off the tee (more forward), SW and chip shots (further back). I have a tendency to think too much over the ball and during my swing, which causes many issues. I play much better when I think through the shot during my pre-shot routine and more or less clear my head throughout the actual golf swing.

I vary my ball position depending on several factors .....the lie being the most important. I also alter the position depending on the shot shape I 'intend' to play.

I rely on my long irons immensely, I must play them more forward than my mid to short irons.

Doug
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...
i am glad i found this thread i have been having this same problem.

Driver: Pinemeadows Bloc Driver 10
Hybrid: Adams A2 3 and 4 iron stiff
Irons: A2 hybrid irons
Wedges: Golf Smith 56 and 60 Degree
Putter: Pinemeadows bladeBall: Nike Power Distance softBag: Datrek Icon

This is interesting since I was taught a little differently. Besides my driver (off left heel) and PW/SW (directly in middle), I place the ball about 4" off my left heel for all clubs and then vary the width of my stance based on the club. So for a 3 iron it looks like the ball is much further up in mu stance than say a 9 iron. I believe this is the way Ben Hogan did it.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 4558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!