IGNORED

Ball Position Poll

janzaruk
Note: This thread is 4561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Where do you place the ball in your stance?

• In the middle EVERY time.
    • In the middle on all shots EXCEPT driver.
    • Move the ball according to the club chosen.

I don't adjust the ball position much for stock shots. I'll adjust to change the height, of course. The ball is always just back of my left heel, and since my stance width adjusts depending on the length of my club, the position of the ball relative to my

This exactly what I have read, the width of the stance changes with the various clubs but the ball is still played off the left heal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It varies. Normally progressively further back from Driver to short irons but lately after getting advice from my local pro I have been hitting my 7 iron - wedge from forward in my stance and moving my weight to my front leg at address and using a three quarter swing and focusing on my release. I think this is quite similar to the "stack and tilt" idea but it has almost eliminated my tendency to hit it "fat" and I am getting very consistent distance and have certainly improved my accuracy around the greens.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

My ball position varies depending on the club and what shot I want hit.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Ball postion between feet for each club changes but what I find most important is distance from stance to ball. If I want to play a fade I have the ball an inch or so closer to my stance to allow for more of an upright inside out swing plane. If I need a draw I will move the ball an inch or so further away from stance,(guessing on distances here,never measured them),to give me more of a flatter inside out plane. Done it this way for 40 years. Too old to change now!

On most fairway shots, my ball is forward in my stance, width adjusted.

When I migrated to a large-headed driver, I started placing the ball in line with the centre of my left foot and my weight about 60/40 on my left side.

Driver, 2” – 3” left of center for upward impact - compression. 4” if need higher trajectory, e.g trees.
Long irons, 1” left of center (bottom of swing path), or back several inches for low trajectory.
Short irons, just behind center (for a descending blow), back further in deeper lies.

My 14 Clubs
1W TM R1
3W 5W TM RBZ pro
P-4 Irons Mizuno MP54

In the old Hogan, Snead, etc. books, they had you moving the ball from left heel to right heel. Notice today, after a 15 year layoff, the teachers are going from left heel only to center. I find this is simpler and probably more effective than the old method.

Ben Hogan (5 lessons) says the ball position doesn't change it's the stance that changes open to closed narrow to wide if it's good enough for mr Hogan it's good enough for me.

• 4 weeks later...
When I first started playing about 15 years ago, I learned that the ball moved back in the stance depending on what club I was hitting. Lately, I've learned that the ball should stay in the same location (off the inside heel of the front foot) but the stance narrows making it appear that the ball is moving back in the stance.
In My Sun Mountain C-130 Bag
Woods: System Q
Hybrid: System Q
Irons: Acer XP905
Ball: Other EquipmentPush Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1My Home CourseGreen Knoll Golf Course

The answer is really simple. The ball must be positioned 3" behind the bottom of your swing arc. That is because you want to take a divot that bottoms out 3" in front of the ball.

You establish the bottom of your swing arc in one or more practice swings.

I have no idea what your talking about tm but i position my ball differently with every club.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• 2 months later...
Well, it came up in another thread, and I don't know if it's been in a poll or not yet, so I thought I would start one.

I play all shots (including driver) from (3 inches) inside the left heel which coincides with the logo on golf shirts (those that have logos on the chest). Other golfers who said they used a constant ball position just inside the left foot (logo area) include tour pros Greg Norman, Nick Faldo, Nick Price, Bobby Jones, and Ben Hogan.

The only time I'll ever move the ball position to the middle of my stance is when I am hitting out of a deep unfilled divot, a severe downhill lie, or I need to hit under an object (ex: tree). As you can see in the picture linked below, none of the pro golfers plays the ball any further back than the target side (left) ear. (A green line extended up from the center of the ball illistrates ball position relative to the rest of the body). http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/254...ballposdg0.jpg

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Janzaruk,

I think the common method is to hit your wedges and maybe the 9 in the middle of your stance, then move a little bit further forward as your irons get stronger. Woods and driver basically off your left heel. I do know that Jack Nicklaus (who has a fair amount of knowledge on the matter!!) hit all his clubs from the same spot! Just proves that it all depends on what feels comfortable to you. . .

Hit 'em straight!

Mike

P.S. Awesome avatar. . .!!!

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

I'll move the ball around if im trying to keep it low or high, but for regular full swings I keep the ball in the middle and i dont move it more than a ball either way except with the driver and 3-wood -which I line up in generally the same spot.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I play my short irons back in my stance because I have a very high natural ball flight. My dad, almost scratch golfer, on the other hand, plays everything but woods right in the middle. Even back in my stance, I hit a 7 iron higher than most people hit a sand wedge.
In Le Bag:

Driver: Burner 420 (circa 2002)
3-Wood: Original Bubble Burner (circa 1998)
5-Wood: noneHybrids: noneIrons: Silverscot Forged TourWedges: SV Tour BlackPutter: Black Series i #1Bag: Edge

I play my short irons back in my stance because I have a very high natural ball flight. My dad, almost scratch golfer, on the other hand, plays everything but woods right in the middle. Even back in my stance, I hit a 7 iron higher than most people hit a sand wedge.

how the junk do you do that? I have read long ago that you're supposed to hit down on the ball but i think its hard to make that divot in front of the ball.

Tour Burner 9.5 w real Diamana 63 S
906f4 15.5 Proforce V2 S
909H 19 Diamana S
755 4-PW
Vokey 50/56/60Yes! NatalieBushnell Medalist w/ PinseekerI'll play just about any ball

I have no idea how my ball flight is as high as it is. I have an upright swing compared to some people, but make no conscious effort to add loft to the club. My 8 iron goes higher than a typical sand wedge, but I still hit it 150-160.
In Le Bag:

Driver: Burner 420 (circa 2002)
3-Wood: Original Bubble Burner (circa 1998)
5-Wood: noneHybrids: noneIrons: Silverscot Forged TourWedges: SV Tour BlackPutter: Black Series i #1Bag: Edge

Note: This thread is 4561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!