IGNORED

The grip and how it effects your release

Ringer
Note: This thread is 5231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I enjoyed this thread, but I wonder how this relates to the notion that the thumb should be pressed into the pointer finger on both hands. That is how I have been swinging for a bit. But I notice 1) a hole in my glove where my thumb rests on the grip and 2) my thumb is centered or diagonally going left (wrong way) on top of the grip.

I think it may make sense for me to keep the same neutral L hand position but just unglue the L thumb and pointer finger a bit near the thumb tip to get it to the R side of the shaft. Just doing it in my living room right now feels great.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is a great thread. Goes to show you that there are so many maddening influences on the golf swing and it's no wonder why we struggle to find that perfect swing.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Yes, this is a great thread. Goes to show you that there are so many maddening influences on the golf swing and it's no wonder why we struggle to find that perfect swing.

Exactly. I have only been playing for six or seven months and I have learned only one thing.

Everyone else has the answer apparently. But seriously, best advice is educate yourself with principles of the swing and then go figure it out based on your own personal swing. This thumb adjustment might work for some but I guarantee you it will hurt as many as it helps.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

• 8 months later...
thanks a lot to the op.

i've never really given consideration to the idea that i may have a poor grip. tried moving my left thumb today on my driver, and it has almost completely cured my release timing. i've always had a problem fighting a fade. my drives are anywhere from straight to fade to slice, depending on my release. today i was either straight, small draw, or small fade. much more consistent.

TaylorMade Tour Burner 08 9.5
Adams Tight Lies Strong 3
Titleist DCI962 3-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Ping Anser 50th Anniversary

I found this out through experimentation a couple months ago but just figured it was something that fit my swing. I agree that the improper position of the thumb encourages a cupped wrist.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

uhh man let people do what feels natural for people

Sometimes you have to change what feels natural and make that feel natural.

Coming over the top feels natural for many but I still wouldn't suggest they do it on that basis.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

This one was of the few times I decided based on the advice in a forum that I made a swing change.It felt great from the off because before I had started a grip and regrip routine trying to get my hands connected and comfortable,although it didn't reach Garcia proportions.
My grip became longer on the club and my right hand slips beautifully over the top of my thumb now.Before I used to hook quite regularly but that only happens occasionally now,due to my hands being connected better,they used to look totally seperate at times never together.
So thanks to the OP.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Ok, let me get this straight- a strong grip has the left thumb more to the right, but what about the right hand thumb? Does that go more left? does it go down the middle?

Great advise here. I've heard alot about the strong grip with the left thumb more to the right but not quite sure where the right thumb should go. Thanks

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

• Administrator
Strong in either hand is more to the right. Strong = "promotes the clubhead to be closed at impact."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would definitely agree that something as simple as grip can determine a slice or hook. I fixed my slice by changing my grip to a tighter grip.

Good God. I tweaked my grip today by moving my left thumb as the OP described. I shot my best score ever, a 75. It was like all of the sudden I was hitting ever single shot straight. It also allowed me to release the club which in turn allowed me to swing with such ease and still hit the ball with the same if not more distance. I just can't believe how a change of 2 cm can change your game so much. Best golf tip I have used since I started playing 15 years ago. Much thanks.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 975F 13.5* Stiff
5 Wood: Cleavland Launcher 19* Stiff
Irons: 3-9 Titleist 670 DG s300
PW: Titleist Vokey 246.06GW: Titleist Vokey 252.08SW: Cleavland 588 Tour Action 56*Putter: Ping Pal 2

Ok, let me get this straight- a strong grip has the left thumb more to the right, but what about the right hand thumb? Does that go more left? does it go down the middle?

Forget about the right thumb. You put your left hand on the club in whichever position you prefer, strong or weak, and then just fit the pocket formed by your right palm over your left thumb. Your right thumb can either rest against your right forefinger or be slightly separated from it, that's a matter of personal preference.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I think this thread is calling for me. My right hand has completely taken over my swing. I struggle to get the clubhead square to the ball lately. I am hitting off the heel a lot and widly inconsistent. I feel I have no control of the club with my hands for some reason. Your idea is worth a shot for me Ringer. When I was coming into work today, went to the range last night to work on my problem, I was thinking I need to weaken my right hand. Maybe I just need to do what you suggest because I just cannot get my left arm involved enough in the shot. At least that is what I think. Never thought about moving the left thumb away from the index finger. Mine are tight together I think.

Something that I had been doing that may be a hint to my problem is keeping my right arm glued to my side. It worked well for a while but seems to have taken my swing to a place that does not work any more.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

• 1 month later...
So could someone point me towards a definition of a cupped wrist? I presume it's breaking the wrist in the wrong plane. His cupping different from hinging>
Dan in Dallas...

Python XL Driver
Python XL Fairway
Big Bertha 3-SWTour Platinum 7802 Putter

natural? what the hell is natural with golf? you stand like almost no other sport, swing in a circle like no other motion, and hit a stationary object to the side !?!? golf is not natural and it never will be. So therefore you must hold the club appropriately, stand appropriately, and have a swing style that follows science. i for one am tired of people coming up with excuses as to why they cant do something with golf because its not natural. most of the players on this site probably have motions that resemble an octopus falling from a tree, so the feelings they get of swinging on plane are 'awkward, weird, crazy' so they don't do it and refer back to their Shank N Crank swings and tell people that their swing instructor was awful and wonder why they aren't getting better. Read a book. do some homework. golf isn't easy, but once you set up in a way that falls into correct parameters, you'll be better able to follow some science. Good luck to all those "it feels bad so its wrong" players... i wish you luck and when i show up with a half set of 40 year old clubs and one golf ball, you best pay up

So could someone point me towards a definition of a cupped wrist? I presume it's breaking the wrist in the wrong plane. His cupping different from hinging>

Hold your left arm straight out in front of you, flip either hand up and down. Flipping it up will cup it, flipping it down will bow it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 5231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!