IGNORED

My Swing (brice)

brice

I've been Playing Golf for: most of my life

My current handicap index or average score is: not really sure what it is at the moment

My typical ball flight is: high draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push

Videos:

Hey so I just started playing golf again after a few years. I've been trying to shake the rust off lately, but my bad miss has been a big push. I don't really have the money for lessons, so I was wondering if you guys might have any suggestions or notice anything obvious that I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

For future reference on how to video tape your swing, please read this thread

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Scroll down about 1/3 the page and look at the sections "Face On" and "Down the Line". This will allow for consistent analysis of your golf swing. From the current video it is hard to make out anything with regards to your overall swing motion.

It is hard to tell from the camera angle, but you do look like you stand very upright, with a bit of an arch in your lower back. It also looks like you are looking down at the ball with your head too high.

Check out this thread, http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture, help you get into a more relaxed and athletic posture.

I would go to the range so you have more room, and get some good camera angles.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You on the left, Rory on the right. Notice how Rory is much more over the ball at impact. You got the "Stand up" move. Your right elbow is stuck way behind your right hip. Look how Rory's arms are more infront of his body at this point. Also not the angle of Rory's hips, how his left hip is higher than the right. Your are pretty shallow.

Hard to tell from the camera angle, need a face on view, but it looks like your head moves away from the target (toward the camera) in the downswing.

Take a look at this video. It will help with understanding how the hips and arms work through impact. A good feel for you might be having the chest face the ground more through impact, having that right shoulder drive towards the ball, and having the left shoulder drive up and around. Really try to keep that spine angle tilt at impact.

Another good feel is getting your right foot to bank more, instead of rotate out, as it looks like in the image. Get your thighs closer together from impact to finish. It will feel like your hips are pointing more towards the sky. See the image bellow, how there is no gap in Rory's legs and knees. See how he's bent over more, and his hips still have some tilt in them.

When you get that right arm stuck behind you, it leads to a very inside to out path, which can cause your push right.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Dude, you have a great swing. And looks like you have the sporting ability to get better. I'm not an instructor and can't give you a detailed breakdown. But on your driver swing you seem very far away from the ball. Your arms are reaching out a lot. I'm amazed you can even reach the ball on your downswing, but sure enough your swing path will be coming from the inside so much it can't help but push the ball to the right through impact. Also you are creating such a wide arc, it feels like you are struggling to create real club head speed.

I recommend standing closer to the ball. Your arms should drop almost straight down from your shoulders. Just like your iron stance, which is spot on.

Your swing will become more compact and more on plane. Maybe cut down the length of your driver shaft or grip down on it. This will give you more control and consistency. You will gain distance as your swing will become faster and you will flush it more.

Thanks for the advice! I think the camera angle might be making my stance look worse than it actually is though, I average about 118 mph clubhead speed on my driver lol

So I was finally competent enough to get a video from both angles, sorry for spamming you guys with all these vids. After doing some research to try to understand it, I think saevel's advice was pretty spot on

Welcome to the site @brice

Make sure to check out this thread, more good stuff to help you

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Cool so lets see. I'm mostly self taught. All I know about the swing came from watching tv and Hogan's 5 lessons book ( http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hogans-Five-Lessons-Fundamentals/dp/0671723014 ). As for skill level, that's kind of a hard question to answer. I was about a 5 handicap in high school, but after I graduated I had to pretty much quit golf all together because I went off to college and there's no where I could afford to play anywhere near it. I've just started getting back into it for about a month now, but if I had to guess I would say I'm around a 12-15 handicap. My issues are touch on short pitches, distance control, and the big push or hook that catches me when my timing gets off.

Uhh that's about all the details I can think of. Since starting back I've mostly been trying get used to my new body. It's been about 4 years since I was able to play golf on a daily basis, and my body feels a lot different than it used to. My swing feels a lot different too but I like where its going and don't want to mess it up, which is what led me here! I like the idea of keeping a journal of my swing progression, and this community seems enjoyable as well. Hopefully we'll get along and I'll be able to contribute in some way, though when I try to give swing tips I normally get a lot of head scratching in return

So I was finally competent enough to get a video from both angles, sorry for spamming you guys with all these vids. After doing some research to try to understand it, I think saevel's advice was pretty spot on

I would say your ball position is also too far back for that iron. I would say wedges would be middle of the stance, and then the ball works its way forward to the longer irons. Looks like you are a good enough player to get away with that ball position. Could be another reason why you are leaning back and flipping. If you would try to hit a shot where the ball should be, with a descending blow, you would top that ball.

I would say the ball needs to be up near that red dot. I would lay two clubs down forming a cross. One laying parallel to your feet (Target line) the other pointing where the ball should be at. This will help you make sure your set up is consistent. What also helps is working on a pre shot routine. I like putting the club behind the ball, keeping your feet close together. Then widening the back foot further than the front. Really helps get that consistent on the course.

I would also flare the feet more at address. Get them to match the blue lines more. You don't have to, but it helps in the hip turn and keeping a more centered turn. Just kinda a easy freebie fix.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I would also flare the feet more at address. Get them to match the blue lines more. You don't have to, but it helps in the hip turn and keeping a more centered turn. Just kinda a easy freebie fix.

Was going to be my advice as well. Erik has that drilled into me. He'd probably tell you to narrow your stance up just a bit, too.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about posting my swing every 2 weeks to make this a sort of journal, but I think that might not be enough time. Not much has changed except I couldn't keep my head still when i took this yesterday lol. I think I see a little more separation at impact, but nothing substantial. I guess it's not that easy to work out habits I've been practicing for years. This is with a 7i by the way

Dude, I post in mine almost daily. Post away.

I'll post like 4 videos in a week and they all look almost identical...but I can go back and see/read things and re-remember something I've forgotten or neglected. That's what this is for.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)