IGNORED

My Swing (dcb942)

dcb942
Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 months

My current handicap index or average score is:

My typical ball flight is:

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pop up, topping ball.

What is going on? I make progress then I seem to lose it all. Two weeks ago I was driving fine, then I started slicing, and now Im just plain terrible.

Videos:

Welcome to the forum.  What are you having the most difficulty with?  I would recommend starting with the threads below. Specifically Key #2, weight forward at impact.  You have a decent amount of shoulder turn, but your hips are not moving forward during the downswing.  This does a couple of things,

1. Moves the low point of your swing back causing fats and thin shots because you end up hitting behind the ball and not making good contact.
  2. Reduces the power of your swing.  The lower body is a great source of power.

Thanks for posting.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with a lot of what @boogielicious said, but the first thing I would do - and this should be a fairly easy change to make - is to keep your eyes on the ball. You seem to be almost watching the club head going back and I suspect that at a certain point you can't even see the ball anymore, or at least not out of your central vision. This means that on the downswing you have to relocate the ball and that's going to make consistent contact really difficult. Your head seems to be fairly steady (just watched on my phone though so haven't really taken an in depth look) but you should work on at least minimizing how much the ball moves in and out of your view. A little rotation of the head can be ok, especially if it helps your turn, but IMO you're making things very difficult by turning your head as far as you do. I would start there and see what it does for you.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well the whole reason I am doing that is to try and see if its my club face that is giving me problems.

If you're slicing then your point of impact on the club face is open.. I agree with what Ernest mentioned.. keep your eyes focused on your ball through your swing and make sure you're not twisting and turning your hands so the club face doesn't open right up. I was able to eliminate my slice a few years ago with two things, fixing my grip so that the two V's on my hands face my left shoulder (I'm a lefty) and replicate the path of my backswing with my downswing. I used to really pull the club from the inside out and with the open club face causing it to slice. Hope that makes sense. Maintain your grip so that you have a square face at impact, gripping to hard also can cause you to have it slightly open so try loosening that up too.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Couple videos I would recommend taking a look at.

To start and change this picture you need to add more "Rickie Fowler" on the takeaway, hands moving in as the club head work out. This will also help add some width so things aren't so narrow (angle of the shaft to right shoulder).

And then lots of Key #2 practice, make sure both feet are turned out 25-30 degrees

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 Months

My current handicap index or average score is:

My typical ball flight is:

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Right

I started making some changes based on feedback from other videos I posted because I was topping the ball or hitting pop up shots with my driver. I made some changes and my iron game was better than ever with my 9 iron. I switched to my 7 and hit the first shot straight. I literally hit 200 more balls and they all went right. What could have changed on the fly like that? I switched back to my 9 and it was the same thing, right. I would even start with a very closed club face and it would go right. I would change to a strong grip, and it would go right.

Videos:

@dcb942 I moved the latest swings here. For future reference please don't start new swing threads, just add new videos to your current My Swing thread.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
That's a shank. I only watched one video. But it was a shank. You're hitting them on the hosel.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For 6 months you are doing well. But I'm worried you are not having much fun. And the advice here will be very technical. You have the physique of a golfer so I advise getting a few lessons to get the basics down.

But in the meantime have you ever tried to thrash the ball for fun? I mean really swing at it. It seems like you are afraid to hit the ball. Don't worry you won't break them. So do your controlled drills and practice but leave some balls at the end to have fun with. Its important you get the feel of what it's like when you connect with a driver at high speed. Its amazing.

Its important to conceptually understand the driver is a whip, not a stick. You have do what ever possible to flex the shaft and let it snap straight at impact. Do this drill. Start with no ball and just swing away back and forth, back and forth, one motion. The goal is to create a swoosh sound at the bottom of your swing. Build this up faster and faster. Your back swing should be slow but your downswing will be quick and through. It should go so fast your arms become extended at the bottom and the club almost comes out your hands. (don't worry if it does, I've done it many times) Feel the weight of the club head. Whip it with your arms and your wrists. Back and forth, back and forth. Feel how your body has to flow with this movement. Everything is connected. Now you are swinging freely. This will loosen you up.

Now place a ball in front of you and repeat the swoosh sound where the ball is. Don't worry. The balls will go everywhere. And you will often plain miss it. But 1 out of 10 you will hit the middle of the club face and ball will fly. Its the best feeling in the world. Have fun with this. For now who cares if it slices or hooks. You can learn to control that later. Get used to hitting the middle of the face.

It will take a long time to get the fundamentals down but, like Bubba Watson, sometimes you just gotta feel it.

I have been taking lessons for the last 6 months, I moved and haven't found anyone new. I was doing great until 2 weeks ago, but I played a game yesterday and did fine. I shot a 48 on 9 which was my best game so far, and short game is what killed me. I am reluctant to just walk up and swing as hard as possible with my driver, I dented 2 brand new sldr's doing that. I am OCD about things like that and it does not do well for my wallet.

I have been taking lessons for the last 6 months, I moved and haven't found anyone new. I was doing great until 2 weeks ago, but I played a game yesterday and did fine. I shot a 48 on 9 which was my best game so far, and short game is what killed me. I am reluctant to just walk up and swing as hard as possible with my driver, I dented 2 brand new sldr's doing that. I am OCD about things like that and it does not do well for my wallet.

This thread may help

Refer to my earlier post, you've got to change the takeaway and get the weight more forward on the downswing. This will change the path and low point of the swing which will help you hit it better.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!