IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another Wednesday, another trip to Brookside. +3, 75. One shot from the money... ugh

Hit the ball freakin' great! The fade is still on and my driver, if it didn't find the fairway, it wasn't missing by much. I didn't find myself in real trouble off the tee all day. I was hitting really crisp and solid irons too. I hit 12/18 greens (67%) but when I didn't hit them I only got up and down once, lame. My putting was quite lack-luster today, and that's what totally killed me. I can't tell you how many 20'-30' putts I had today. Actually, I can tell you; nine. I made two, and one of those two was for par... I had a couple of closer looks too. I had two for birdie, made one. Had five for par and only made one of those.

Now, normally I don't blame course conditions for poor performance, but I must say, the greens weren't at their greatest. The maintenance crew had recently punched. They were weird too, about 2" long cuts in the green. That certainly didn't help those long birdie chances as putts had a tendency to hop around. On top of that there were a few greens that had some awful flowering in them. But again, no excuses. I got get back to practicing my putting.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Switched things up today and actually broke away from Brookside. There is a new tour that's starting to gain some momentum. The MTour. There's no site yet. They have one event a month. Luckily I knew the right people and got invited to their first one. Today was their third. Its a Korean heavy tour, In the first event I was one of two non-Koreans. Today there were five or six of us. Unlike a lot of the mini tours, the entry fees are low. $100 for the first event. Today was $200. And the payouts are pretty high. On the Golden State or Pepsi Tour the winner will win 4 to 5 times their entry fee. Today on the MTour, first place took home $2200! Unfortunately, I did not come in first place. My even par, 72 got me a T12. But I did get my money back!

The course was California CC . Its not the longest course in the world, 6804y 72.6/129 But, if you miss the fairways, more likely then not, you're gonna get caught behind the mature trees.

It starts off with a par-5. probably my least favorite course design feature. I want my first par 5 around the 4th or 5th hole. I know my swing is on and I'm really ready to attack. So I start off with a par cause I block my 2h into the trees. I managed to get myself on the green, but with a slippery left to right 14'er. Didn't get up and down from a bunker on the par-3 second hole. Had a look at birdie on 3, but didn't have the putter working, yet. Hole, 4. was another par-3. Hit a nice 6iron pin high, but it was right of the green. Kinda flubbed my chip, and left myself with 12' for par. Looking at the putt, I knew it was going in. Sure enough, center cup! and that's when my putter caught fire. 6' for par on 5, center cup. 12' for birdie on 6, center cup. 14' for birdie on 8, center cup. Hit my driver into the trees on the shortish par-5 9th and walked away with a lame par. After two early bogeys I got myself back to even after 9.

10 was an OKay par, gave my birdie putt a look but I misread the amount of break. 11, was good. 567y par-5, Janky driver putt my out there, but still had 280 left. Good thing was, I was in the first cut and sitting up so I could, and did, take a rip at my 3wood. It was alright, Left myself 42y to a back pin. Chipped up to 6' and drained that putt. 12, ah 12. Felt bad on the tee, never a good sign, hit a crappy drive. Nice escape shot out or the trees with my 4i, but didn't get up and down from 69y with my wedge. 13 was let down par. solid tee shot, pretty 8iron, but misread the putt. People say, "watch, you'll learn something" I always learn something, but its the wrong thing. The guy in my group was on a similar line about a foot away, his putt broke, mine didn't. Reading the putt on my own, I knew I didn't need to play it outside the hole, But I saw his break hard and miss low. My putt, broke, but not hard. Damnit I hate watching people putt! 14 was probably my iron shot of the day. I had 161y to the hole, but into a semi-stiff wind. I hit this sweet 7iron that was tracking the hole way. hit, and ended up 14' past the cup. Left myself with a tricky putt for birdie, missed it, and another let-down par. Then I went and 3-putt bogeyed 15, GREAT! 16 is a par-5. I ripped a driver out of anger. then hit a laser 3iron to the green. That was a pretty iron shot too. Couldn't roll the eagle putt in, but got a nice birdie. 17, is a bit of a beastly par-3. It was playing 212y into the wind. I just hit a great 3-iron on the last, let's try it again. I did! knocked that one to about 20' but, by this time, my putter ran ice cold. Left the putt on the left edge, one more rotation! grrrr! 18 is a golf hole, 463y, plays uphill off the tee, slight dogleg right. Reminds me of the 18th at Riviera. I smashed a drive. I was left with 192y to a back pin. Cranked a 6iron up to 14' and went on to miss that one too. booohooo :/

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Keep it going man!

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

If I hit the Mega Millions... This is what I would do with my life.

I just bought my ticket. Things would be so much easier without having to worry about entry fees!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done...

Not that I'm beyond frustration, or lost my confidence, but, because I went flying over the handlebars of my road bike (bicycle) yesterday morning. Landed on my head first, then collarbone, then shoulderblade. The end result is a fractured collarbone and a 6-8week healing process. Pretty banged up now. uncomfortably sore keeping my shoulder propped in this position in my de-mobilizer.

Korean Tour QSchool is at the end of Oct, Don't think I'll be ready in time.

Oh well

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm done... Not that I'm beyond frustration, or lost my confidence, but, because I went flying over the handlebars of my road bike (bicycle) yesterday morning. Landed on my head first, then collarbone, then shoulderblade. The end result is a fractured collarbone and a 6-8week healing process. Pretty banged up now. uncomfortably sore keeping my shoulder propped in this position in my de-mobilizer. Korean Tour QSchool is at the end of Oct, Don't think I'll be ready in time. Oh well

Crap. I'm sorry Ben.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry to hear that. I broke mine totally in half right after graduating last year (ultimate frisbee), and im still struggeling to break 80 consistantly. Thankfully my college decided to keep me on scholarship

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need." 
Will Rogers 

• Administrator

Sorry to hear about the "David Feherty Incident." :( You did something to your ankle in the past few years as well didn't you?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks guys, The pain of the injury is gone, but I'm quite uncomfortable. Yesterday my shirt was stuck to the road rash on my back. Needless to say, undressing was not one of the highlights of my evening.

Andy yeah, Fractured my ankle in 2008. Putting my expert powers of healing back to work!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

I'm done...

Not that I'm beyond frustration, or lost my confidence, but, because I went flying over the handlebars of my road bike (bicycle) yesterday morning. Landed on my head first, then collarbone, then shoulderblade. The end result is a fractured collarbone and a 6-8week healing process. Pretty banged up now. uncomfortably sore keeping my shoulder propped in this position in my de-mobilizer.

Korean Tour QSchool is at the end of Oct, Don't think I'll be ready in time.

Oh well

Sorry to hear this.  Hope you have a fast recovery.

A broken collarbone sucks.  There's no immobilization/ cast to speak of, correct?  There wasn't when I did it anyway, just a padded harness thing that looped under both arms.  Something i found to look out for: when it's healed enough that you are back at normal sedentary activity, be careful to remember that it's still broken even though it doesn't hurt. I remember sitting in school and a pencil would roll of the desk, I would instinctively reach out and grab for it, and go into a spasm or twitching pain because I had forgotten that my shoulder couldn't move that direction yet.

Wow!  Sorry to hear that.  Wishing a fast recovery to you as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Thanks again guys.

An update, Turns out the ER totally misdiagnosed me! Not only did they give me a useless immobilizer, but they told me 90% of clavicle breaks heal naturally with time, and thats the break I have. Well, I went to my orthopedic surgeon today to see if things were coming along, and to check if I was wearing the immobilizer correctly and a few other concerns. They took an XRay to find out that my bone was waaaay to far broken to heal on its on, and that if i wanted a functional arm, that surgery is highly recommended! I wonder if I have some kind of case? Check out the xray for yourself...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Went in for surgery yesterday. The healing process begins, with much help from Percocet I might add. This stuff is great! Anyway, Doc claims 4months before I'm back on the course. I don't buy it. When I broke my ankle he told me 9months and I played my first tournament in 9weeks.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by Ben

Went in for surgery yesterday. The healing process begins, with much help from Percocet I might add. This stuff is great! Anyway, Doc claims 4months before I'm back on the course. I don't buy it. When I broke my ankle he told me 9months and I played my first tournament in 9weeks.

LOL.  Percocet, huh?  Sounds like you'll be enjoying the rest of the week? :P

Unfortunately, one day later and the meds are working just enough to fight the pain, no other "fun effects" :) Maybe later in the week??

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!