IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes keep that left shoulder "bending" down and across throughout the entire backswing, towards the right hip. Also make sure to turn that right foot out, will help with the pivot and with the right knee on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Went to the range this morning to work on my driving. I was throwing the club at the ball from the top. So I was coming from the outside in and pull slicing. I worked for a while on getting the club down and and from the inside. But I could not do it till I realized I was trying to kill the ball and had a lot of tension in my swing. So I eased up and swung the club with a more fluid and loose motion. And BOOM nice drives down the middle. How doing I practice getting the tension out of my swing?

Doug

So I eased up and swung the club with a more fluid and loose motion. And BOOM nice drives down the middle.

How doing I practice getting the tension out of my swing?

Just keep the jaw/mouth relaxed. Can even hit balls with your mouth open a little.

Mike McLoughlin

I am going golfing in the morning. Lately I have had problems driving the ball. I am pull hooking and it comes from unwinding my shoulders first on the downswing. What is some little dill I could do standing on the tee box preparing to swing?

Doug

This is something I am struggling with and it is my priority right now.. I don't know if this is something that you can do on the tee box, but try and just get up to the top and feel like you are just swinging with your arms only and see if that helps.. Try it at the range before your round.. But honestly my best recommendation is just to play with the game you have and worry about changing the picture at home and range sessions dedicated to practice. Good luck out there!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I am going golfing in the morning.

Lately I have had problems driving the ball. I am pull hooking and it comes from unwinding my shoulders first on the downswing. What is some little dill I could do standing on the tee box preparing to swing?

Make sure you are making a full turn and transfer the weight forward, add pressure under the left foot, on the downswing

Mike McLoughlin

Had fun today. Shot a 99. Pared a couple holes and birdied a par 5 with a 25 foot putt. Got a lot more distance and clean hits, I drove with my 3 wood on the back nine and it worked better than the driver. I found out how to slice a drive without coming over the top. All you have to do is stop your turn at impact and your hands will direct the club across the back of the ball very nicely even with an in to out path. I think I am doing this because of too much practice only to impact. Useing the impact bag too much and not practicing finishing the swing. I will work on that.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Another fun day on the course. Shot a 97. Played a lot smarter and struck the ball well. Used my 3w on some of the shorter

narrower par 4's. Some of the higher score was very bad green conditions on the front 9. They were hard and not much grass.

I felt my right elbow making contact with my front right side when I hit some of my better shots.  So I held my right elbow

against my right front side from then on during the round and hit some my best drives and approach shots.

Has anyone else tried this?

Doug

Nice job @AbsoluteTruths. You said you played smarter. Have you found LSW has helped in your decision-making? It really helped me last year.

Yes it has been helpful. Smarter club selection and aiming for the center of the green.

Doug

Has anyone else tried this?

Yep, something like this.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks Mike.  Yes that pretty much explains it. Less moving parts in the backswing.

But I have a question at about 5:45 in the video there is talk about not keeping the arm stuck to the ribcage. But that is the feeling

I had. I just went and check with a mirror in the garage. When I keep my elbows close together and do not push it behind

my midline my right elbow stays very close to my ribcage. I can only get a little bit of separation because of my limited

range of motion in my left shoulder.

This also reminds me of a drill an instructor gave me once where you put a belt around your upper arms.

Doug

• Administrator

Thanks Mike.  Yes that pretty much explains it. Less moving parts in the backswing.

But I have a question at about 5:45 in the video there is talk about not keeping the arm stuck to the ribcage. But that is the feeling

I had. I just went and check with a mirror in the garage. When I keep my elbows close together and do not push it behind

my midline my right elbow stays very close to my ribcage. I can only get a little bit of separation because of my limited

range of motion in my left shoulder.

You can keep your arm attached, but I talked about your elbow. The middle of my arm is still touching my torso, but toward the elbow, there's separation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You can keep your arm attached, but I talked about your elbow. The middle of my arm is still touching my torso, but toward the elbow, there's separation.

Yes @AbsoluteTruths , I'd recommend some spacing between the elbow and torso.

Mike McLoughlin

Yes @AbsoluteTruths, I'd recommend some spacing between the elbow and torso.

It looks like Grant's upper arm is moving behind his shirt seam late in the back swing. This seems counter to to the Swing Key #4 video above.

Yesterday I was keeping the upper arm and elbow on my side in font of my shirt seam throughout the back and downswing.

I tried today in front of a mirror and I can lift my elbow a little off my side at the top of the backswing. Again because of my

mobility limitations I cannot get it as high as Grant.

I am going to try to take a video and show you what I mean.

Doug

It looks like Grant's upper arm is moving behind his shirt seam late in the back swing. This seems counter to to the Swing Key #4 video above.

Yesterday I was keeping the upper arm and elbow on my side in font of my shirt seam throughout the back and downswing.

Grant is hitting a driver, so with a longer swing there's some wiggle room with the upper part of the arm. If I'm not mistaken the main point of the video is the location of the trail elbow and it staying in front of the shirt seam.

With the examples below you can see how the middle part of the tricep stays in front of the shirt seam.

I tried today in front of a mirror and I can lift my elbow a little off my side at the top of the backswing. Again because of my

mobility limitations I cannot get it as high as Grant.

I am going to try to take a video and show you what I mean.

Just try to do what's right for you.

Mike McLoughlin

Handicap went down. :-D Thanks All of you who are helping me. My playing partner said recently "hay I can see that that Sandtrap forum is really helping".

Doug

• 1 month later...

Went golfing Sunday and Monday. Not too good. I shot a 103 and a 107. Only good parts where pitching, chipping, and putting.

I played well last month so I practiced very little. Bad idea. My drives where low or push slices with

a few slight fades down the middle. I have attached a couple poor videos that a playing partner

took.

I am thinking of signing up for Evolvr now that I am in the financial position to do it.

Doug

Note: This thread is 1150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!