IGNORED

My Swing (ChrisPietersen)

ChrisPietersen
Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Chris, The swing must always be consistently a full swing. If you need to vary distance you change the club selection. Basically when you turn the shoulder it should be under the chin. If it is in line with the chin or above the chin it isn't right. Because if you have a long mirror the reflection will show on the back swing the club head does not point toward target. Only when the shoulder edge is under the chin will you get it right. Try to get to this position in every back swing and just releasing it like the spring of the clock unwinding. This will automatically  deliver the strike straight and far simply uncoiling the shoulder. Anika Sorenson have a video on golf academy. She asked golfer to do a freehand exercise. Imagine you having a stance in an address position without club. Since you are Right handed, place your left hand over the right hand in that address position. Now turn your shoulder so that it comes under your chin (right hand hooked under left hand and pulling it backwards) If your left hand remain straight and fully extended it will automatically turn your shoulder to the full limit like a spring coiling till your shoulder is under the chin. The right arm will also be facing towards the sky directly upwards and your imaginery club head will face the target. After mastering this exercise, you can do the real thing with club and ball in a range to test out the result. I assure you that you will definitely see good results.  Allsetgolfsport

Not exactly sure how the drill works? I tried using my left hand as the club face and my right hand like I'm gripping a club? Is this drill only to work on the backswing?

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not exactly sure how the drill works? I tried using my left hand as the club face and my right hand like I'm gripping a club? Is this drill only to work on the backswing?

Your arms are criss crossed.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

If you're working on your backswing, your right heel shouldn't be doing anything like that, no. Shoot some video. Even if it's just you in your house. Use a mirror, too.

Will do! Would you say my heel is lifting from maybe trying to overrotate or could it be a lack of flexibility? When I practice the back swing my hips go probably 50-55 degrees around max, and my shoulders do not make a full 90 degrees yet I believe. Something else, through the back swing the left arm stays straight, should the right arm bend? If yes, then when? On the video suggested above, it looks like your right arm also stays straight, but I'm suffering to keep mine straight without causing me to let my head drop forward.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°

Your arms are criss crossed.

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/78095/my-swing-chrispietersen#post_1075719"] Your arms are criss crossed. [/quote] Will both thumbs then be facing down? Sorry, just a bit confused in how my hands will grip eachother. And what do I use as reference point for my "imaginary clubhead"?

Snapped this quickly, sorry about the quality. Pretty sure this is what they are talking about.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Will do! Would you say my heel is lifting from maybe trying to overrotate or could it be a lack of flexibility?

When I practice the back swing my hips go probably 50-55 degrees around max, and my shoulders do not make a full 90 degrees yet I believe.

Something else, through the back swing the left arm stays straight, should the right arm bend? If yes, then when? On the video suggested above, it looks like your right arm also stays straight, but I'm suffering to keep mine straight without causing me to let my head drop forward.

Like Erik said, shoot a video, that's odd that the right heel would be lifting. Make some practice backswings with your head against a wall. Turn your hips but don't have the head press into the wall. Be aware of what you're feeling to accomplish this. I don't think it's flexibility, you're not an old man ;-)

Right arm bends and the left arm basically stays straight (some good players have more ben than others), not something you need to worry about IMO, it's bending due to your pivot. You don't turn enough and your left arm bends in order for you to feel like you've made a "full" backswing.

Will both thumbs then be facing down? Sorry, just a bit confused in how my hands will grip eachother. And what do I use as reference point for my "imaginary clubhead"?

It's not a big deal. There are better drills for you to do.

EDIT: Yep, what @Ernest Jones posted.

Mike McLoughlin

Snapped this quickly, sorry about the quality. Pretty sure this is what they are talking about. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/109197/] [/URL]

I see! Thanks for the pic, was just totally confused! LOL [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/78095/my-swing-chrispietersen#post_1075727"] Like Erik said, shoot a video, that's odd that the right heel would be lifting. Make some practice backswings with your head against a wall. Turn your hips but don't have the head press into the wall. Be aware of what you're feeling to accomplish this. I don't think it's flexibility, you're not an old man ;-) Right arm bends and the left arm basically stays straight (some good players have more ben than others), not something you need to worry about IMO, it's bending due to your pivot. You don't turn enough and your left arm bends in order for you to feel like you've made a "full" backswing. It's not a big deal. There are better drills for you to do. EDIT: Yep, what @Ernest Jones posted. [/quote] I'll try and get a video up sometime, will work in the mirror too! What other drills would you suggest? I'll try the head agaist the wall (Probably without a club right?), and I have the drill with the chair against my hip. Anything else I could try? I tried to rotate my hips some more when hitting wiffle balls today, got a few great hits, but still suffering with consistent impact, a lot of divots just behind the ball or hitting it fat. I just can't seem to find the right entry point, and I've been working hard on keeping my weight forward too!

What other drills would you suggest? I'll try the head agaist the wall (Probably without a club right?), and I have the drill with the chair against my hip. Anything else I could try?

I would just stick with those for now. Should be enough to give you a feel for what you need to do.

Yes, no club for the wall drill.

Mike McLoughlin

Got out to hit a few balls with my new (second hand) set today. Was trying to get more turn, but still keep my swing relaxed. That was very tough for me! I feel I tense up a lot trying to turn more, which affects my downswing a lot. Also had quite a stiff back today (I blame it on school exams!). But when I relax myself, I turn less and use a lot more wrist action, but contact is much cleaner and way shorter. I went down from about 95m with my 9 iron to only 70m. Anything I could do to keep my swing relaxed enough, but not lose that much distance? On another note, I'm suffering with my driver, I hit EVERYTHING on the heel. May have broken my driver a bit today, the head feels a bit loose. I'll get it fixed before I use it again. But any advice on what to do about that? Could this also be the cause of me slicing so much? I also hit my 5 iron's head out of place, looks like it is slipping out! Could I fix this myself? Or should I let the Pro Shop fix it?

Got out to hit a few balls with my new (second hand) set today. Was trying to get more turn, but still keep my swing relaxed. That was very tough for me!

I feel I tense up a lot trying to turn more, which affects my downswing a lot. Also had quite a stiff back today (I blame it on school exams!). But when I relax myself, I turn less and use a lot more wrist action, but contact is much cleaner and way shorter. I went down from about 95m with my 9 iron to only 70m. Anything I could do to keep my swing relaxed enough, but not lose that much distance?

On another note, I'm suffering with my driver, I hit EVERYTHING on the heel. May have broken my driver a bit today, the head feels a bit loose. I'll get it fixed before I use it again. But any advice on what to do about that? Could this also be the cause of me slicing so much?

I also hit my 5 iron's head out of place, looks like it is slipping out! Could I fix this myself? Or should I let the Pro Shop fix it?

Practice it at home like this. Point the stick or shaft behind the ball at the top of the backswing and hold it there for 5-10 seconds. "Stretch" that pivot out. The shoulders are a bit too steep in this video but it's there to make a point.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...
I've been playing quite a bit lately, just to get in the groove. My game is improving all round, down to 105-110 range already, and decreased my putts from ±36 to 30-32 per round. I've been using a shorter backswing on my shots, and it has helped decreasing my fat shots and shanks, but I still hit a lot of thin shots and weirdly, I've developed a pull with my irons, as opposed to my usual push. This is very frustrating when I have a 100yd shot at a centered pin for a GIR, and I end up missing the green left! Any idea if the short backswing may cause this? How could I fix it? For my tee shots, I've been using my 19 degree hybrid and 4-5 irons. With the hybrid I reach about 200yds on average and almost 245yds on a great hit. Have't hit a single sliced tee shot in probably 5 rounds, BUT (there is always a but ey!) I've developed a hook. Don't know if I should be glad about the not slicing or sad about the hook? Big thing I've noticed, I don't hit enough fairways (Just over 30%!). And this is proving very costly. Should I tee with my irons more and try to up my FIRs? Another thing, when I hit a FIR, I mess up my second shot. Almost like the feeling you get before a short birdie putt, which causes me to blow up even more! Any tips on improving my mental game? I'm sure this is what keeps me over 100, Because I hit 50% of my holes at bogey! But I hit probably 3-4 quad-bogeys a round, some where I just waste shots! Or even 3-putt! I will be trying to take another video soon, even if it is hitting my return-o-ball at home!

• Administrator

For my tee shots, I've been using my 19 degree hybrid and 4-5 irons. With the hybrid I reach about 200yds on average and almost 245yds on a great hit. Have't hit a single sliced tee shot in probably 5 rounds, BUT (there is always a but ey!) I've developed a hook. Don't know if I should be glad about the not slicing or sad about the hook?

Big thing I've noticed, I don't hit enough fairways (Just over 30%!). And this is proving very costly. Should I tee with my irons more and try to up my FIRs?

I cut out the other parts, as you seem to be making good progress there.

You should check out http://lowestscorewins.com/ and buy a copy. Buy two if you can (if you know a buddy who can split the cost with you). It speaks directly to the things above. Fairways are important, but without giving everything away, they're not THAT important that you should likely be hitting irons off the tees. Distance is important too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I cut out the other parts, as you seem to be making good progress there.

You should check out http://lowestscorewins.com/ and buy a copy. Buy two if you can (if you know a buddy who can split the cost with you). It speaks directly to the things above. Fairways are important, but without giving everything away, they're not THAT important that you should likely be hitting irons off the tees. Distance is important too.

Yep get the book @ChrisPietersen , it'll be the most informative golf book you've ever read.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!