IGNORED

Diary of a bogey golfer with his 1st custom fit clubs

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Dfreuter415, you warned me that things can get worse before it got better.    I didn't want to believe that.   When my HI got worse and not better, I had some doubts about where things are going and had to recall your comments in this thread.   Thanks, again.

My HI is on a roller coaster ride and I just hope it isn't already at the bottom.  My last 10 rounds HI is about 17+ and the real test is where it is going afterward, flat, up, or keep going down.

Hopefully this. Otherwise, you need might to make more changes. Like @dfreuter415 stated, "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

It should be fun, albeit with some bad language every now and then, but fun nonetheless.

Now you say it.   I was blaming you when my HI was going up.   It was the insane jealousy of your making progress which finally pushed me over to make the changes to my golf game ....   Oh, you can tear up the golf instruction bill/invoice I sent you.

Actually, I sent you a bill for the services rendered. . .

Glad to have helped push you to improve, that's the reason we're all on this site, to push each other to improve all our games! :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3/21/15

When I custom fitted to the new driver 3 months ago, it was before I took lessons to "upgrade" my swing.  At the time, my loft setting was 12.  Somehow, the new swing form and the old loft setting didn't jive.   After a few range experiments, I adjusted my Taylormade Jetspeed driver to 9 degree loft about a month ago.   I can't seem to miss the fairway since then.  The sudden improvement in FIR is almost not believable.   It is nice to have a "adjustable" driver.

Another "almost" not believable stat is my differential (ESC not applied) scoring average this month.   It went 5 points down since last month (each month stat includes at least 10 rounds).  All stats except average total putt improved.

AVG Putt GIR Db+ PAR Bird FH
3/15 20.81 34.11 3.67 6.33 4.22 0.22 75%
2/15 25.86 33.83 2.51 8.47 3.91 0.00 50%
1/15 26.59 33.43 1.86 9.14 2.47 0.00 44%
12/14 25.84 33.35 2.03 9.22 2.57 0.09 58%
11/14 23.28 33.16 2.47 7.07 3.67 0.15 59%
10/14 22.50 34.27 2.32 6.82 3.19 0.20 59%
9/14 24.14 32.15 1.83 8.10 3.57 0.18 60%
8/14 23.82 32.89 2.45 7.78 3.25 0.10 54%
6/14 24.11 32.60 2.03 8.46 3.64 0.25 62%
5/14 25.08 32.68 2.20 8.75 3.63 0.17 58%
3/14 24.12 33.96 2.29 8.07 3.14 0.27 49%
2/14 22.45 34.01 3.17 6.85 3.94 0.10 42%

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Congrats on your progress.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

3/21/15

When I custom fitted to the new driver 3 months ago, it was before I took lessons to "upgrade" my swing.  At the time, my loft setting was 12.  Somehow, the new swing form and the old loft setting didn't jive.   After a few range experiments, I adjusted my Taylormade Jetspeed driver to 9 degree loft about a month ago.   I can't seem to miss the fairway since then.  The sudden improvement in FIR is almost not believable.   It is nice to have a "adjustable" driver.

Another "almost" not believable stat is my differential (ESC not applied) scoring average this month.   It went 5 points down since last month (each month stat includes at least 10 rounds).  All stats except average total putt improved.

These kind of results are inspirational to many who look to improve their game. Well done.

As for the driver, I found that generally when I used a lower loft, the average distance increased, but the number of fairways decreased. I would look to your hitting more fairways with a lower loft being attributable to three factors: 1) an "upgraded" swing;  2) a better quality, more forgiving driver; and 3) playing and practicing more.

One thing I have found in tracking my stats, is that when I hit more fairways in regulation, I also hit more greens in regulation. When I hit more greens in regulation, my average score would be lower. However, when I hit more greens in regulation, I had longer putts on average, and therefore, marginally more putts per round. I feel this might be what is happening to you, as well.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Played exactly the opposite of the last round.  (With no warmup) Started with bogey, and 4 straight pars and then played bogey+ golf for the rest of the round for final 95.  I prefer to finish strong like the last round.   A good takeaway from today's round is that I limited double of worse holes to only 5 (vs 6+ average).  Unfortunately, two of those holes were snowmen.

What a great way to start a round. The one thing you forgot: The Golf Gods only let you see a glimpse of Golf Heaven for a few holes, and then it is back to reality... Still, you posted a score that should help your handicap.

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

One thing I have found in tracking my stats, is that when I hit more fairways in regulation, I also hit more greens in regulation. When I hit more greens in regulation, my average score would be lower. However, when I hit more greens in regulation, I had longer putts on average, and therefore, marginally more putts per round. I feel this might be what is happening to you, as well.

Longer and more accurate drives has led to much higher GIR rate than 1, 2 months ago.  Number of putts has increased but I am hoping even it will improve as I put more approach shots closer to green.

When a bogey golfer starts 1 over the 1st 5 holes, that's a dream start.

I realize that my spring scores comes with extra hardship.  Here in CA, grass got so tall that any ball in deep rough is ball not found (like OB)!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Here in CA, grass got so tall that any ball in deep rough is ball not found (like OB)!

Lucky you! Here in Western Pennsylvania the grass hasn't even started to grow yet. (And, I've only played 18 holes since last December,) :whistle:

Quote:

Here in CA, grass got so tall that any ball in deep rough is ball not found (like OB)!

Lucky you! Here in Western Pennsylvania the grass hasn't even started to grow yet. (And, I've only played 18 holes since last December,)

Well, looks like you got your 1st round (or 1/2) in.   Fun time is here again, eh?

I posted here that all the lessons I took was with 7i and I was having problem translating that to hybrid & 3w.   After more punisher drills (google "punisher in golf" if anyone wants to know what it is) to fix my flipping, even the hybrid & 3w shots have improved, so much so that 3w is back in my bag.   My current assessment is that I am playing to about 17 - 18 HI now.   I've got 7 soft scores to beat to prove it.

To take advantage of my fast improving golf game, I entered a tournament that I initially didn't plan to.  I was sure that I would fare well.   Not!   I score 108 which was 8 strokes worse than any other rounds this month including 4 courses I never played before.   The next day in a casual round on a same course, I carded an 84 which would have won the tournament going away.   This is a cruel joke by golf god, I am sure.

Will resume golf lessons when I fix my flipping.   Meanwhile, I continue to work out and it's helping me hit longer.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I posted here that all the lessons I took was with 7i and I was having problem translating that to hybrid & 3w.   After more punisher drills (google "punisher in golf" if anyone wants to know what it is) to fix my flipping, even the hybrid & 3w shots have improved, so much so that 3w is back in my bag.   My current assessment is that I am playing to about 17 - 18 HI now.   I've got 7 soft scores to beat to prove it.

No need to google it, I simply prefer to imagine a cattle prod inserted into sensitive areas of the body and wired to a switch taped to the back of the hand. If you let the wrist release, Zapppp!!!!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

No need to google it, I simply prefer to imagine a cattle prod inserted into sensitive areas of the body and wired to a switch taped to the back of the hand. If you let the wrist release, Zapppp!!!!

That sounds about right.  I have red spot on my left rib cage area to prove it.   Whoever invented the punisher is a masochist.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

That sounds about right.  I have red spot on my left rib cage area to prove it.   Whoever invented the punisher is a masochist.

All right, now I need to google it. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

[QUOTE name="rkim291968" url="/t/78501/diary-of-a-bogey-golfer-with-his-1st-custom-fit-clubs/72#post_1120061"]   That sounds about right.  I have red spot on my left rib cage area to prove it.   Whoever invented the punisher is a masochist. [/QUOTE] All right, now I need to google it. . .

Is it not just an alignment stick jammed into the grip? If you flip you whack yourself.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Is it not just an alignment stick jammed into the grip? If you flip you whack yourself.

Thanks.

I feel like if I could fix my flipping I'd drop five strokes overnight....

You might want to find out the details from @Ernest Jones . . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, looks like you got your 1st round (or 1/2) in.   Fun time is here again, eh?

To take advantage of my fast improving golf game, I entered a tournament that I initially didn't plan to.  I was sure that I would fare well.   Not!   I score 108 which was 8 strokes worse than any other rounds this month including 4 courses I never played before.   The next day in a casual round on a same course, I carded an 84 which would have won the tournament going away.   This is a cruel joke by golf god, I am sure.

Yes. I played 9 holes Tuesday in 40° weather. Then it rained Wednesday & Thursday. The high tomorrow is 37° and Saturday 36°. I'm hoping that Sunday will be the start of better weather.

Good for you getting out and playing in a tournament. I know how you feel about underperforming, but with your new swing, I know your best performance is something you can produce in pressure situations. It's not really a joke by the golf gods, just a case of nerves, or as Johnny Miller cruelly refers to as "choking." And then the next day you shot an 84? Terrific! There is no question that your hard work is paying off.

I used to be a high school band director. When we had a big concert I would reinforce to the kids that the skills and techniques that we needed to be successful were done in rehearsals. On the night of the performance I told them how much I appreciated their hard work and knew that their best performance would be on display if they would just trust themselves and enjoy the moment, because it only comes when you are out there, on stage, under the bright lights. The groups produced big time for me and we had award winning bands.

I feel that the key for you is to trust your swing when playing under pressure . You are doing the hard work with your practice sessions and rounds on the course. Now it is time to internalize that trust so that you can produce under pressure. How you do that is strictly an individual thing. Block out the negatives and enjoy the positives. It's a journey you need to embrace, because it can be truly exciting.

Best of luck in your next event, and may the Golfing Gods be with you.

I may get an EDEL custom fit putter before FREAK does.  It may shave a 0.5 point off my HI, who knows.

Haha, maybe so since I'm likely going to get fitted clubs first before the putter.

Although, if I get the putter, I'll likely try and get fit for it during Easter Weekend. :dance:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I saw that you posted this in another thread...

My course one day after aeration has all the greens completely covered with sand.  I can't see the punched holes.   I still had only 31 putts in today's round.   The secret is to putt straight (the sand nullifies breaks), and putt hard (sand slows it down to a crawl).

The rest of stat: 98, 11/14 fairway hits, 1 GIR, 2 birdies + par, 8 double or worse holes.   98 was my 11th score in HI calculation and didn't move my HI one way or the other.   My driver, 3w, & 4h were outstanding.  Iron was very poor, hence, 1 GIR.   Weird.

The 11 fairways hit is very impressive, but I know you had to be disappointed with GIR and 8 double bogies or worse. It clearly wasn't your putter, because 31 putts on aerated green is very respectable.

So it looks like the irons and short game are causing the most problem.

As for the irons, every time I go to the range I have a little drill that I find to be most useful for my iron play. I begin by selecting a target on the range and then set one of my irons on a parallel line aiming toward the target. Then, when I hit balls, I am able to check to see that both my feet and shoulders are parallel to the line that I want the ball to travel.

As for the short game, I recommend Dave Pelz's "Short Game Bible." When I first read it, I highlighted sections that I thought would help my game. About once a year I go back and review those sections. All I can say is that It has helped me to save strokes from 100 yards and closer to the green.

As for the irons, every time I go to the range I have a little drill that I find to be most useful for my iron play. I begin by selecting a target on the range and then set one of my irons on a parallel line aiming toward the target. Then, when I hit balls, I am able to check to see that both my feet and shoulders are parallel to the line that I want the ball to travel.

As for the short game, I recommend Dave Pelz's "Short Game Bible." When I first read it, I highlighted sections that I thought would help my game. About once a year I go back and review those sections. All I can say is that It has helped me to save strokes from 100 yards and closer to the green.

( Congrats on your 1st 18 hole round this season.  What a score after the long break! )

Before I start my round, I developed a habit of going to range and do what you described above.   I do it for iron, hybrid, 3w, and driver.   In addition to getting warmed up, I do this as a reminder to get my address right.   Even during a round,  sometimes, I would set a club on parallel line aiming toward the target if my address does not feel right.   On this day, I skipped the range b/c I went from work to the course and wanted to finish the round.   It was probably no accident that my 1st 3 hole scores were bogey, quad, and triple, which did most of the damage to my score.    To make it worse, those 3 holes were the easiest holes for me as my average score on the 3 holes combined should be 3 - 4 over par, and not 8 over.

I also was too conscious of avoiding flipping with iron shots.   I think the thought process messed me up on number of iron shots.   As you alluded to in another post, I needed to trust my swing.

In regards to short game, I am currently working on 40 - 60 yards wedge & bunker game.   I used to be better at those but recent focus on ball striking  made me skip those practices in favor of ball striking practices.    Reduced short game practice = losing feel for those shots.   With a little bit of practice, bunker game is back on line but I need to continue working on 40 - 60 yard wedge shots.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!