IGNORED

Playing with really, really, really bad players

Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure about that. I remember Seve being penalized two strokes in the Masters for hitting some practice tee shots into the woods on 13 tee when things were backed up. He didn't have a ball in play at the time since he was waiting to tee off.

That's the difference right there. You can practice chipping and putting, but not full shots.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have somewhat of the same issue. I tend to play a bit better when playing with good players and a bit worse when playing with worse players. Either way it's 100% me that's causing both. The better players make better decisions while playing which gets my mindset going that way and vice verse with bad players. I just need to get my mindset to stay as it is when playing with the good players. Or just start putting the LSW to use.... Probably LSW though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

That's the difference right there. You can practice chipping and putting, but not full shots.

Not that I doubt you, but somehow that doesn't make sense. How could a rule penalize a full shot but not a partial shot?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Not that I doubt you, but somehow that doesn't make sense. How could a rule penalize a full shot but not a partial shot?

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke , except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green , or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7 ).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes .

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee , a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee .

By specifically stating that you may only practice putting or chipping :-D

Well, I learn something everyday! Thanks! :-) I've read all the RoG, but I must have been drinking heavily that day!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Quote:

Originally Posted by vangator

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green, or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by theCommittee.

By specifically stating that you may only practice putting or chipping

Thanks, I don't know why I thought it was against the rules.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm a really, really, really bad player. I actually had a friend of mine who's just a somewhat bad player (~25 handicap) play with me this past week and he shot around 110, which is pretty awful for him. I think it just gets in your head. I've played around 40 disc golf tournaments and at first I used to play much better with players similar to or better than myself, but over the years it's evened out. It's basically just yet another mental facet of the game you have to get used to. I think if you practice staying in the zone you hit your shots in throughout the round, and play with high cappers more often, you'll probably stabilize the tendency to shoot really poorly.

Just remember to keep in mind there's a difference between bad players and bad etiquette. ;-) In my years on the disc golf course, I've picked up 90% of the same etiquette that goes for real golf. A lot of new players have obviously never played any form of golf, so I'm sure that their behavior (that they don't even realize is rude or unacceptable) could be throwing you off. Best thing to do would be teach them - if they can't take a quick lesson on staying well behind and to the side of someone swinging, they probably don't have the patience and mindset to play this game anyway. :-)

I'm a really, really, really bad player. I actually had a friend of mine who's just a somewhat bad player (~25 handicap) play with me this past week and he shot around 110, which is pretty awful for him. I think it just gets in your head. I've played around 40 disc golf tournaments and at first I used to play much better with players similar to or better than myself, but over the years it's evened out. It's basically just yet another mental facet of the game you have to get used to. I think if you practice staying in the zone you hit your shots in throughout the round, and play with high cappers more often, you'll probably stabilize the tendency to shoot really poorly.

Just remember to keep in mind there's a difference between bad players and bad etiquette.  In my years on the disc golf course, I've picked up 90% of the same etiquette that goes for real golf. A lot of new players have obviously never played any form of golf, so I'm sure that their behavior (that they don't even realize is rude or unacceptable) could be throwing you off. Best thing to do would be teach them - if they can't take a quick lesson on staying well behind and to the side of someone swinging, they probably don't have the patience and mindset to play this game anyway.

I think we all go through this phase. Usually, it's when we are breaking into the single bogey per hole figures. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It seems that this issue occurs most with twentysomethings with lots of disposable income. They decide to play golf, buy the "best" equipment...and, of course, want to play the most upscale course around - which usually is one of the more difficult courses in the area. If they're more interested in how many beers they have in the cart (and they always ride!) than in their score, it's a sure sign that it's going to be a long day...

When I started playing 40+ years ago I didn't have much money (still don't!). I played with garage sale clubs...at the cheapest course in town - a 9 hole, par 34 executive course. Most of the people playing there were either kids, old folks or other newbies. I once went to a very nice course with a much more experienced and talented golfer, and I was miserable. I was embarrassed at how bad I was playing.

I went back to the executive course and played there until I could break 40 consistently. Only then did I feel like I was worthy of "graduating" to a longer, 18 hole course...and even that was one of the shorter, easier courses in town.

I never was bothered playing with worse players than myself...as long as they weren't too slow. If they were, I'd find myself constantly looking behind to see where the next group was and rushing my shots to try to make up the difference. That never works out well.

My game right now is worse than it has been in years due to advancing age and a triple bypass. I'm driving, chipping and putting well, but struggling with my irons....so I'm now usually the bad player in the group. I try very hard to not let my shortcomings affect the other players in the group. I play quickly and, if I'm making too much of a mess on a hole, I'll put the ball in my pocket and just tend the flag.

• Upvote 1

People worry too much about what kind of equipment OTHER people play.... Whether they are clueless hacks, sandbagging swashbucklers or classy top flight players, who cares what they play or dress like? Now if their game itself stinks, that is hard to endure.. If their etiquette stinks too that's really hard... If their attitude is bad too? I will ALWAYS either let them go or move on myself. Period. I honestly prefer not to play with really bad golfers unless it's a company outing, family member or prospective client. Other than those I politely decline. It's just not fun to play with everyday random hacks that shoot 120 in my opinion. It's tough to watch someone struggle for five straight hours and rarely can you get any rhythm and enjoy your round. I rather spend my time elsewhere in that situation.

People worry too much about what kind of equipment OTHER people play.... Whether they are clueless hacks, sandbagging swashbucklers or classy top flight players, who cares what they play or dress like? Now if their game itself stinks, that is hard to endure.. If their etiquette stinks too that's really hard... If their attitude is bad too? I will ALWAYS either let them go or move on myself. Period. I honestly prefer not to play with really bad golfers unless it's a company outing, family member or prospective client. Other than those I politely decline. It's just not fun to play with everyday random hacks that shoot 120 in my opinion. It's tough to watch someone struggle for five straight hours and rarely can you get any rhythm and enjoy your round. I rather spend my time elsewhere in that situation.

I agree with your first point. However, why are you assuming that a terrible player is going to take 5 hours to play? I've played with plenty of terrible, awful players in under 4 hours. Would you have a problem with playing with someone like that? Remember, you were terrible once, and someone probably played with you.

Colin P.

I agree with your first point. However, why are you assuming that a terrible player is going to take 5 hours to play? I've played with plenty of terrible, awful players in under 4 hours. Would you have a problem with playing with someone like that? Remember, you were terrible once, and someone probably played with you.

As expensive and as time consuming as golf is, I don't play with ANYONE I don't want to play with... Period. Especially hacks with a bad attitude. Re-read my post.

As expensive and as time consuming as golf is, I don't play with ANYONE I don't want to play with... Period. Especially hacks with a bad attitude. Re-read my post.

I did. You make one reference to "bad attitude" but then the rest of your post really only makes your case for just not wanting to play with bad players. Nothing really about bad players with a bad attitude. Nobody wants to play with someone who's a sourpuss. But sometimes getting paired up with a terrible player you meet great people.

Colin P.

[quote name="golfbarefoot" url="/t/78769/playing-with-really-really-really-bad-players/30#post_1090194"] As expensive and as time consuming as golf is, I don't play with ANYONE I don't want to play with... Period. Especially hacks with a bad attitude. Re-read my post.

I did. You make one reference to "bad attitude" but then the rest of your post really only makes your case for just not wanting to play with bad players. Nothing really about bad players with a bad attitude. Nobody wants to play with someone who's a sourpuss. But sometimes getting paired up with a terrible player you meet great people.[/quote] I have to agree with Colin, the post was a little unclear that you would play with courteous and fast bad players.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It's miserable playing with hacks. I dont know how else to say it. I could care less what equipment they use or what they dress like... But golf sucks playing with dudes that shoot 120. Period. I'd rather go surfing or fishing.

I'm an 80-shooter who usually plays with other 80-shooters, and most rounds I shoot . . . around 80. The problem is that about once a month I'll play a round on short notice and end up paired with 120-shooters.

Just recently I was paired with two guys who had all the latest equipment -- $400 drivers, forged muscleback irons, Cameron putters. And they wanted to play from the tips. Judging from their equipment and desire to play from the back tees, I assumed they must be fellow single-digit handicappers, so I agreed to the pairing. But they were riding, and they looked at me walking and likely thought, "OMG, this guy's is going to slow us down."

So off we go. I hit my first tee shot, then each of them hits five shots to reach my drive. I hit my second shot onto the green, then each of them hits five more shots to get to the green. And they worried about me slowing them down? Seriously?

I realize that everyone has to pick up the game somehow, and when they only play once a month, it's not going to be pretty. But it wasn't just their playing skills that bothered me. They didn't seem to know anything about etiquette, including where to leave their cart, when it was their turn to hit, how and when to attend the flag, not talking while I was hitting, yacking on their cell phones, etc.

I couldn't play ahead because the course was crowded and there was no place to go. I got out of my normal rhythm, forgot all about my pre-shot routine, made bad swings and bad decisions and hit shots I would never hit playing with other 80-shooters. I ended up shooting 92.

My question for any sports psychologists out there: How do I maintain focus and "play my own game" when playing in these circumstances? I don't want to be rude.

1 - single handicapper and lots of single handicapper friends

2 - mind reading ("they looked at me ..... and thought")

3 - knows all the etiquette

with all these amazing abilities, not letting others get you down shouldn't be any problem

(sorry, that's a bit snotty, but I'm leaving it out there - I read the thread title and thought you were looking for bad players to play with and I was going to volunteer)

(sometimes you have to play the hand your are dealt.  letting it get you down is on you - frankly, playing with a variety of partners might be a great boost to your game)

Bill - 

Read the original post. It's actually typical jealousy over the fact the hacks play better equipment. it's really a post crying... "Hackers should play bad equipment!" My point is.. Golf is so expensive and time consuming. Play with what you want, play with whom you want... Problem solved. The original story sounds fabricated anyway... From the tips... Lol!!

Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!