IGNORED

Fruit the Beer?

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you like to have fruit in your beer or fruit flavored beer?

• Yes, it enhances the flavor of finely crafted brew.
    • Sometimes with some brands.
    • Good God No! Who the heck thought this was a good idea! Take away their Man Card!

Sometimes its okay, sometimes it isn't. If it pisses off someone in the bar, every time. My favorite type of beer is a draft stout and I don't see any fruit ever going on that pint glass.

I only drive about 180, but I make up for by not hitting my wedges well.

Very popular in OZ, when i lived there and i like in hot weather is the 'shandy'.  I prefer ginger ale, but can take 7-Up, or lemonade about half/half with the beer.  Not so alcoholic and gets some sugar carbos into the gut first thing.  A good plan after walking 18 in hot and humid weather.

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy

Not particularly a fan, but then, my beers of choice tend towards the bitter or stout varieties. MacAusland makes an apricot pale ale that is pretty tasty on a hot summer day but when circumstances warrant that type of libation, I'm far more likely to order a Gin&Tonic;, Cape Cod or Greyhound.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Has anyone here ever tried Belgian lambic? It's an old and highly respected style of beer which is often (but not always) re-fermented with fruit. Even purists - like a lot of you guys seem to be ;-) - will at least give a nod of respect to this classic brew, fruit and all :beer:

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

I don't know about putting fruit in a beer to serve it.  To each his own.

However, I really like trying some of the beers that are brewed with fruit in them.  I've had some really good ones and some I wondered why they bothered.

What I really don't care for is the recent trend of "I wonder how many hops we can squeeze into this beer?"

Blue Moon and Shock Top Orange were among the first beers I was able to drink, and, despite being in my late 20s at the time of first enjoying a beer, I had no trouble with the orange. I won't put one in, say, a Sam Adams. I'm also never had Skittlebrau so I'm in the middle.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'll stick with a good ole IPA (or Double IPA) - No fruit please!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

You're talking actual peices of fruit placed in the glass, right? To that, no. Never. if you're putting fruit in your beer it's because your drinking crap beer. But lots of good quality beer is made with fruit. I brew beer at home and put orange peel in my pale ales (sometimes) and wits. Whole fruits are sometimes used in a variety of beers to give it a different flavor. Can add a lot of interesting character to beer. And to a learned and discerning palate, certain yeasts give off fruity flavors that work for certain styles of beer. In fact, this is very common. If you check out the BJCP style guidelines you'll see "fruity" in the description for many styles That you probably don't think of as being fruity. So, dogfish head 61 minute ipa brewed with syrah grape must? Delicious! A lime in the neck of a corona bottle to mask the skunked off flavors caused by the clear bottle? I'll choose a beer that doesn't need that.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'm not a big fanReally fruiting tasting beer, most blueberry ones are too sweet, same goes with the Magic Hat no. 9, but a decent citrus flavor in an IPa is pretty good. The Flying Dog Blood Orange IPA is a very good one that comes quickly to mind.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I voted the last option, but do like Belgian Lembic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

I wouldn't classify them as beer although they are technically, just not made with barley, hops, yeast (controlled) and water.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The Flying Dog Blood Orange IPA

That does sound delicious!

Big fan of blood oranges.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

That does sound delicious!

Big fan of blood oranges.

It's very good, I'm a huge IPA fan.

If you ever get the chance, the Chillwave from Great Lakes Brewery is probably one of my favorites, other than then Bells Hopslam.

I have a long list of very good IPA's that I like.

-Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
All this talk about beer is making me thirsty. Unfortunately, I'm off drinks beer for a couple of months. Into lean cutting phase in my work out.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!