IGNORED

Playing Tees Based on Driver Distance x 28

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Use the Tee it forward yardages or the ones from the article?

• Tee it forward, of course!
    • The article analyzes the distances quite well, I'd play 28 times my driver distance

Quote:

So to me 28 is more like a maximum, where a really good near scratch player might be comfortable. For the rest of us, I think something like 25 times would make for a much more reasonable recommendation.

From all the comments, this is exactly the case ... 28x is WAY too long for all but the most experienced amateur golfers - it's not even reasonable.    For me, with a 245 yd drive, that's playing 6800 yds !      Thats certifiably ridiculous with my game.   I'm comfortable in the 6100-6200 range, which equates to 25x.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Totally agree. Most people overestimate their average drive distances.

And not by a little. My experience is men think they are 40-60 yards longer more than they consistently are. Heck people overestimate how long their "big" hitting playing partners are on average. I used my average for it and that was actually about 200 yards shorter than the tees I play at my home course. Though I am playing pretty poorly ATM .

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

And not by a little. My experience is men think they are 40-60 yards longer more than they consistently are. Heck people overestimate how long their "big" hitting playing partners are on average. I used my average for it and that was actually about 200 yards shorter than the tees I play at my home course. Though I am playing pretty poorly ATM .

Maybe not quite 40-60 yards, but probably a lot.

I have to admit that the people I play with in the mornings do know their distances really well. They hit greens often enough to infer that.

The average drive of a male is 205 yards while the average handicap is about 15. I would infer that a person who drives 205 yards on average is capable of a 15 handicap without having an exceptional short game or iron game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't know many guys that would cop to averaging 205. Those that do probably think that's how far they hit a 4 iron, because they sometimes do but certainly don't average it.

• Upvote 1

I don't know many guys that would cop to averaging 205. Those that do probably think that's how far they hit a 4 iron.

Maybe they hit it that far on occasion? I've hit my 6i 195 yards before and regularly hit is 180-ish, but I still consider it my 175 yard club. I average something like 150 with it because of the sub-100 yard duffs I make with it. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Maybe they hit it that far on occasion? I've hit my 6i 195 yards before and regularly hit is 180-ish, but I still consider it my 175 yard club. I average something like 150 with it because of the sub-100 yard duffs I make with it.

That's the problem with playing tees too long relative to skill. Longer clubs are more difficult to hit well on average. So if a golfer's average drive has them hitting an abundance of approach shots with longer clubs not only are the numbers not in their favor but the higher the probability they will duff it. Since all the but the elite are fighting with recovering from a succession of mishits, some more playable than others, they should choose tees based on what is most likely to happen.

That's the problem with playing tees too long relative to skill. Longer clubs are more difficult to hit well on average. So if a golfer's average drive has them hitting an abundance of approach shots with longer clubs not only are the numbers not in their favor but the higher the probability they will duff it. Since all the but the elite are fighting with recovering from a succession of mishits, some more playable than others, they should choose tees based on what is most likely to happen.

This is why shorter tees are so much easier. If you can recover from a 100 yard crowned drive with a 6i on the average par 4, you're probably on the correct tees. If you can recover from that same 100 yard drive with a 9i, you are probably playing too close for any kind of challenge. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I seem to be aligned with the tee it forward suggestion. Can hit the ball 260ish when I'm playing well, but usually a 230 yd drive. I certainly have more fun and am challenged when playing at 600-6200 yards. I do play from the tips occasionally at 7100 yards just to test my game which usually ends up being 5-7 shots worse.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I don't think there is any magic formula for determining what tees (yardage) to play.  I agree with the comments saying play any tees you want as long as you can keep pace with the group in front of you.  There are some < 6000 yard courses around here that can eat your lunch and some that are > 6400 yards that are pretty simple.  Makes me think that just considering your driver yardage for selecting tees isn't all that smart an idea.

Butch

I agree with @Lihu , I don't think it's that much.

That said, I do remember one time last year I was playing with a buddy and I hit a solid drive that went 260 and he was like, "what was that, like 300 yards?"

I, of course, said, "yes." O:):whistle:;-)B-):-$:banana:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I agree with @Lihu, I don't think it's that much.

That said, I do remember one time last year I was playing with a buddy and I hit a solid drive that went 260 and he was like, "what was that, like 300 yards?"

I, of course, said, "yes."

:beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I agree with @Lihu, I don't think it's that much.

I, of course, said, "yes."

Yes but he said the guys he knows admit to being short, averaging 205 short playing to 15 :bugout: . It's been a while since I played to 15 but that is probably right on the mark.

Yes but he said the guys he knows admit to being short, averaging 205 short playing to 15 . It's been a while since I played to 15 but that is probably right on the mark.

You have to adjust the number to 227 in CO, though. :smartass:

Seriously though, most of the people I know know exactly how far they hit all their clubs. That's how they hit greens. No other way. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You have to adjust the number to 227 in CO, though.

Seriously though, most of the people I know know exactly how far they hit all their clubs. That's how they hit greens. No other way. . .

Really I wish I knew it's all a guess which direction and how far for me. All I know from my FlightScope sessions and GG is my egg shaped pattern of misses is a circle of varying diameter. Smaller with short clubs and with anything longer than 7 it's not a pattern as much as random scatter. My numbers are all over the place. My driver data looks worst of all.

Really I wish I knew it's all a guess which direction and how far for me. All I know from my FlightScope sessions and GG is my egg shaped pattern of misses is a circle of varying diameter. Smaller with short clubs and with anything longer than 7 it's not a pattern as much as random scatter. My numbers are all over the place. My driver data looks worst of all.

For me too, that's why I only average 4 greens per round. . .it is going up a little bit, though. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

No formula needed.   I will play a reasonable tee which will not delay the group behind.   Pace is hardly an issue b/c I play ready golf and play reasonably fast.  But I will never play a tee that is simply too long for me.  "Too long" a course for me is if there are holes that I can't get GIR with solid drive & approach shots.

I have no problem playing shorter tee to join the other two some.   It gives me chance to practice different shots & strategy.

I couldn't vote b/c there are no choices befitting my case (and others, based on their comments).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

No formula needed.   I will play a reasonable tee which will not delay the group behind.   Pace is hardly an issue b/c I play ready golf and play reasonably fast.  But I will never play a tee that is simply too long for me.  "Too long" a course for me is if there are holes that I can't get GIR with solid drive & approach shots.

I have no problem playing shorter tee to join the other two some.   It gives me chance to practice different shots & strategy.

I couldn't vote b/c there are no choices befitting my case (and others, based on their comments).

You don't think the tee it forward option is close enough to your practices?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

You don't think the tee it forward option is close enough to your practices?

Not in my case.   I don't tee it forward as much as I should be.   I am not a long hitter but don't mind playing longer tee if I can keep it at reasonable pace.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!