IGNORED

My Swing (bankquant)

bankquant
Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Bankquant,

Obviously, you're in good hands with @iacas and @mvmac , but one thing I noticed is how shut your clubface is in some of the recent swings. Not sure if it's related, but it sure looks like the balls on those swings start out way left.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Next is the good swings. I think I narrowed my stance slightly compared to the bad swings but other than that didnt change anything.  Almost all started out right on line and either went dead straight or had a slight fade near the end.

I really need to figure out these mishits and get some better consistency. Not sure what is happening.

Did you get a chance to work on the left knee? I would agree you tend to have the stance a bit too wide.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Did you get a chance to work on the left knee? I would agree you tend to have the stance a bit too wide.

Yea was definitely working on rotating my left knee inward in my practice swings and in the mirror at home. During my actual swings I was only really thinking about keeping my head still.. Hard to think about multiple things at once or at all during a real swing.

Driver  -  Tour Edge Max D-45
3W -  Pinemeadows Command
3h - SW - Jack Nicklaus V-MAX hybrids & irons
64d Pinemeadows Pre wedge

Frustrating day at the range...I needed to blow off some steam after work. It didn't put me in the best mindset to work on a slow and steady swing and concentrate on changes. I normally might hit 10 or 20 shots with driver out of 100 balls. I think I hit closer to 80 today.

Been trying to get my knee working inwards in the backswing and also keep my head steady but it just doesnt feel right. The swing doesnt feel balanced. Think I need some more practice in the mirror.

Yea was definitely working on rotating my left knee inward in my practice swings and in the mirror at home. During my actual swings I was only really thinking about keeping my head still.. Hard to think about multiple things at once or at all during a real swing.

Yeah you're going to need to feel it on the range. Steady head is what you want, the left knee is the HOW. Left knee gaining flex and rotating inward helps the left hip work down and keeps the hips turning, which leads to the head staying steady.

Mike McLoughlin

Do I need to correct my setup?  It kind of looks like my hands might be too far forward from the face on view which is causing my shoulders to be more tilted that my spine angle.

Been trying to get my knee working inwards in the backswing and also keep my head steady but it just doesnt feel right. The swing doesnt feel balanced. Think I need some more practice in the mirror.

Didn't realize the video also had face on swings. This looks pretty good with the left knee and the head.

I think it'd be good to spend some time working on Key #2, will help you not "stand up" as much on the downswing. Some amount is fine but your inclination is leveling out too soon.

Do I need to correct my setup?  It kind of looks like my hands might be too far forward from the face on view which is causing my shoulders to be more tilted that my spine angle.

That looks fine, hands being forward isn't an issue. Might be worth it to take a look at your grip, especially with the right hand. You're a little too strong IMO

Mike McLoughlin

Played another round on Saturday, at another course I've never played before. Still not happy with my scores but I saw some improvements in my drives off the tee and had a few holes where I felt like I was playing golf instead of just scrambling around a golf course and hacking the ball.

A few highlights... I came within an inch of a hole in one;  I had a 310 yard drive right down the middle on a par 5 (end up making a 7 after shanking my 2nd shot and landing in a ditch); I ended high on a hill over the green and behind a bunker with the green sloping away from me on one hole. I hit a 64degree lob shot that was perfect. It landed just on the fringe and trickled down to within 2 feet of the whole. If I had to take that shot 100 more times I probably couldnt have done that again.

If I look at my 3 rounds since starting to play golf again I see improvement but I'm still not where I left off at

Rnd 1: 116

Rnd 2: 106

Rnd 3: 103

Couple new videos from practice on Thursday night. I also played another round today and again showed some improvement (especially considering the conditions of the fairways and greens on this course).

I'm still working on making sure my head stays centered over the ball and that my left knee works inward on the backswing. Secondary to that is trying to work my swing path in to out.

My round today was the best one I've had in a long time and likely the best I've ever driven the ball. I had more long, straight down the middle fairway hits today than I've ever had. I was disappointed with my short game which usually makes up for my inability to get off the tee but the course I played was in terrible condition. The fairways were either like shag carpet or dirt and weeds. One was completely covered in clovers. The greens werent much better and one was even a 'temporary' green in the middle of the fairway.  Even with all of that I ended up shooting a 94.  It feels to go out each time and see a solid improvement in scores. Hopefully I can keep the momentum going next time. The best I've ever shot is a 90.

I think if you stick with the advice of the pros on this forum, you are going to build a great swing. Good to hear your scores are improving, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with that when you are making swing changes. You will break 90, and then want to break 80, and then still want to get better. Expect setbacks but stay the course.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

• Administrator

Couple new videos from practice on Thursday night. I also played another round today and again showed some improvement (especially considering the conditions of the fairways and greens on this course).

Looks like you're making some nice progress. Keep it up. Keep practicing properly, and playing golf when you get on the course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played a late round Friday after I got out of work early...Played at a course I am sort of familiar with by now but have never really played great there. However, this time I shot a full 17 shots (99 vs 116) better than I did when I started playing again a couple months ago. I was also playing from the champions tees which increase the total yardage by about 450.  The round was pretty good and I started off the first 9 holes striking the ball beautifully. I had a lot of trouble getting the green speeds right and had far too many 3 putts

I think this round was the best I ever had with ball striking. There were a few slices with the driver later in the round and then couple over-correction hooks as I got a little tired but overall it was a great round. I think I only had a single complete mishit but that worked out ok because I popped up a 3W off the tee and it went straight about 100 yards. Normally I'll have 5 or more complete shanks and mishits per round. That has been one of my biggest goals for a long time... No one wants to see their drive barely make it off the tee box.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good day at the range on Thursday

Only had a handful of complete mishits. Almost everything was really solid but I think I'm only getting my desired ball flight about 60% of the time.

I think I have improved in keeping my head steady, at least laterally. Not sure if I should also try to keep it steady vertically or how to achieve this. Also, I thought I was taking a more neutral grip but looking at the video it still looks very strong. I'll have to work on that and see if moving more neutral helps me at all. I've been working on getting my left knee to move inward as my right leg straightens and my hips turn but now I think im getting too loose with that and moving my left knee/leg too much.

3W

Driver:

I think I have improved in keeping my head steady, at least laterally. Not sure if I should also try to keep it steady vertically or how to achieve this. Also, I thought I was taking a more neutral grip but looking at the video it still looks very strong. I'll have to work on that and see if moving more neutral helps me at all. I've been working on getting my left knee to move inward as my right leg straightens and my hips turn but now I think im getting too loose with that and moving my left knee/leg too much.

Just from watching the two videos, it looks like you're just whacking ball after ball. I'd suggest adding in some slow rehearsal moves for the pieces you want to improve.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Just from watching the two videos, it looks like you're just whacking ball after ball. I'd suggest adding in some slow rehearsal moves for the pieces you want to improve.

I second this.

While there are things to be gained by hitting more balls… they're relatively small gains. Better to do the "5 S" in the above article.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I generally practice much slower but often I try to hit a bunch in a row when the camera is rolling just so I can get several quick comparisons and then turn it off and go back to focusing on swing thoughts.

And then there are times when I just like to go out and hit ball after ball as hard and fast as I can as sort of a stress-relief.  I also do this sometimes when I feel like I've made a change and seems to be working well so I will try to engrain it by repeating it over and over.

Early this last week I went out to the range and tried to work on changing my grip...going from a really strong grip to a weaker/neutral grip...suffice to say that did not go well. I was slicing everything like crazy and couldnt figure out how to get my hands back to square in the swing.

I played a round yesterday and tried to forget all of that for now...Went out on a course I've never played before, with no warm up at all except some putting. I'm not sure what it was but I felt pretty good the entire day...there was a couple times where I felt like the game was slipping away from me but each time I got it back. Finished the round with an 86 my best score ever!

Started off the round bogey, bogey, bogey then rattled off 4 pars in a row then went bogey..TRIPLE bogey :(  .  Put down 4 more pars on the back nine and the rest were bogeys with 2 double bogeys in a row on 13/14.

Now that I've finally broken 90 my current goal is to try to maintain scores between 85 - 95, round over round.  Then hopefully I can break 80. Because although I know I have all the shots in my bag I also know I'm really inconsistent because just last weekend my most recent score was a 102.  A 16 stroke swing between rounds is kind of crazy...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much opportunity to play or practice recently.  Yesterday was my first time out since shooting that 86 a couple weeks ago.  The course I played was in the worst condition I've ever seen and I felt like I played terrible yet somehow I shot a 90 .   I think the biggest difference between when I felt like I was playing bad previously and playing bad yesterday was that never I had any holes that I felt like I completely broke down on. There were no shots where I completely chunked or thinned the shot. They might not go in the exact direction I want but all my shots were making a good amount of progress towards the hole..

I'm probably not going to get another chance to play again for a couple weeks but maybe I can get out and practice and get some footage of my swing to see how I am progressing.

However, I feel good about the progress I have made.  My handicap went from about a 24/25 to 17.1 in the last month and a half.

I still feel that my biggest struggle is getting off the tee box and setting myself up for a good approach shot to the green.

Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!