IGNORED

Big Break Mesquite

Ben
Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Isn't anyone annoyed at the fact that Brian is still around? I hope Josh SMOKES him. Brian is extremely cocky, especially being a mini tour player. I don't think that's much to brag about. I also had a chuckle when they aired the last hole of the competition on the last episode. Hiroshi and Josh said they both hit an 8 iron into a par 3 182 yard hole! Inflated numbers people.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know? Gerry could rock the Sr. Tour. Think about it, Tom Watson grabs a hybrid or wood on a 210 yard par 3, Gerry grabs a 6 or 7 iron... who has the advantage?

I don't understand the reasoning behind the argument of having an advantage over others if you have a shorter club in hand. It's not the club you're using, it's the way you get to the hole that's important. I remember a couple of months ago standing on the tee box of a par 3 192 yard hole. Someone I was playing with pulled out a 6 iron and pushed his shot right, 30 feet from the hole. I pulled out a 4 iron, made a smooth swing and stiffed it to 3 feet and made birdie. It's important to treat all of your clubs as scoring clubs. I've seen Tiger nail 4,3 and 2 irons to a couple of feet because he uses the same mentality. Hitting greens is key to lower scoring. Isn't that more important than hitting the longest drive of your life?

I just saw that James Nitties finished either 3rd or 4th in the Australian Open. That was nice to see -- I really liked his attitude and overall game.

I'm not too pleased with either of the final two, although Josh has a more palatable personality than Brian.

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

I don't understand the reasoning behind the argument of having an advantage over others if you have a shorter club in hand. It's not the club you're using, it's the way you get to the hole that's important. I remember a couple of months ago standing on the tee box of a par 3 192 yard hole. Someone I was playing with pulled out a 6 iron and pushed his shot right, 30 feet from the hole. I pulled out a 4 iron, made a smooth swing and stiffed it to 3 feet and made birdie. It's important to treat all of your clubs as scoring clubs. I've seen Tiger nail 4,3 and 2 irons to a couple of feet because he uses the same mentality. Hitting greens is key to lower scoring. Isn't that more important than hitting the longest drive of your life?

I totally agree with most of this. But, the reason most people see an advantage to short irons is because they are much easier to control than a long iron, they are not effected as much by wind because they dont go as far, they fly higher and land softer on well struck hits. They are all around easier to control....to most people.

The real question is if Tiger(or any pro for that matter) would choose a shot where they had to hit a longer iron, say 200yds/150yrds/100yrds from the pin. I suspect Tiger would choose the 100yds shot almost every time if he had a choice. Why?

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

The real question is if Tiger(or any pro for that matter) would choose a shot where they had to hit a longer iron, say 200yds/150yrds/100yrds from the pin. I suspect Tiger would choose the 100yds shot almost every time if he had a choice. Why?

I understand that, but the argument is with respect to club selection. Most guys nowadays are trying to increase carry yardages with all of they're clubs. It's funny because you begin to see that most of these numbers are exaggerated but nevertheless, all I'm saying is that if you want to lower scores, you need to treat all of your clubs as scoring clubs. Most guys are into the whole distance thing nowadays, but it seems to me that the more they give into the Bomb n' Gouge side of things, parts of their game begin to deteriorate. The short game and putting are so underestimated in the game today that practically most weekend golfers neglect to even work on these things. Ask Tiger and he'll tell you the reason he wins so much isn't because just because of distance, it's because of the short game and putting. Example, he only had one three-putt all week and the Target World Challenge. Outcome: He ran over the field. I'd also choose the 100 yard shot every time, but having the mentality where that's the only shot you want to hit every time is lethal to scoring.

I think you missed my point. Obviously, Tom Watson presently has many advantages over Gerry(experience, Driving accuracy, Putting etc etc etc). However, Gerry, with a lot of hard work and practice, can/could close the skill gaps between himself and Watson. On the other hand, it would be extremely difficult or impossible for Watson to close the distance gap between himself and Gerry.

Gerry's distance advantage over Watson(or any other Senoir Player) is small compared to the tour proven players ability to score low under tournament conditions.

People forget that most of the unknown guy's like Bruce Flesher have some tour experience before they hit it big on the Champions Tour. Gerry does not have that experience(yet)! And the other point to this is, did you not see how far off the fairway Gerry was hitting the ball? They were calling the guy a billy goat, lol! Wild and Long will do absolutely nothing for a player on tour. I'd say Gerry is a HUGE long shot to make it in the Champions Tour! I'll take that bet!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I understand that, but the argument is with respect to club selection. Most guys nowadays are trying to increase carry yardages with all of they're clubs. It's funny because you begin to see that most of these numbers are exaggerated but nevertheless, all I'm saying is that if you want to lower scores, you need to treat all of your clubs as scoring clubs. Most guys are into the whole distance thing nowadays, but it seems to me that the more they give into the Bomb n' Gouge side of things, parts of their game begin to deteriorate. The short game and putting are so underestimated in the game today that practically most weekend golfers neglect to even work on these things. Ask Tiger and he'll tell you the reason he wins so much isn't because just because of distance, it's because of the short game and putting. Example, he only had one three-putt all week and the Target World Challenge. Outcome: He ran over the field. I'd also choose the 100 yard shot every time, but having the mentality where that's the only shot you want to hit every time is lethal to scoring.

I also understand what your saying. However, I see almost the opposite thing happening here with better player "bombers". Their short game IS their lifeblood, it's how they score. What I'm saying is that on some of the older courses where I live, the "Bombers" are rarely hitting more than an 8 iron into any given par 4 green... and quite often MUCH less club than that(think driver then PW or SW on shorter par 4's).

With this said, the weak point in their game has become long irons off the deck(they just don't use them enough any more). What we are really talking about here are 2 ways to play the game... the "bombers" overpower the course. the non-bombers play to accuracy, both are valid and work. FWIW: Tiger also has the ability to "bomb" when he feels it's an advatage to do so.

Gerry's distance advantage over Watson(or any other Senoir Player) is small compared to the tour proven players ability to score low under tournament conditions.

Playing rounds with and being admired by Vijay Singh cannot hurt his potential goal of making the Champions Tour

I also understand what your saying. However, I see almost the opposite thing happening here with better player "bombers". Their short game IS their lifeblood, it's how they score. What I'm saying is that on some of the older courses where I live, the "Bombers" are rarely hitting more than an 8 iron into any given par 4 green... and quite often MUCH less club than that(think driver then PW or SW on shorter par 4's).

I can understand your point. But it doesn't mean you're going to automatically lower your score if you bomb it. Let me ask you another question: Why, if these "bombers" at your course are hitting anything between SW to 8i are so dependent on their short games? Shouldn't they be hitting greens with those clubs? And another point: I can't buy into your argument that bombers' short games are good because I've played with most of them first hand and they can't chip or putt a lick. I recently attended the Merrill Lynch Shootout in Naples and had the opportunity to watch Bubba Watson, Camilo Villegas and some others in the field, guys who are known for their length. These guys couldn't buy a birdie unless they went on some hot streak with their putters, which didn't last long. The guys who were scoring machines were the Johnson's, Calcavecchia's, Austin's, Funk's of life who put the ball in the fairway, and accuracy is their game. I say again the reason Tiger wins so much is because of his putting. 1 three putt all week at the Target World Challenge. And another thing, course designers are basically catering their designs to the longer hitters. Courses are getting longer and longer and the game is getting out of hand. They're leaving the rest of us out in the cold. Example, next year's US Open course Torrey Pines, is playing at 7,600+ from the tips. That all being said, I'm rooting for Josh. Hope he beats up on the tatooed gorilla.

I think you guys are both right. I don't believe that distance will ever hurt your game unless it is the only thing you focus on. If you can carry the ball further than the guys your are playing against you will have an advantage as long as you can keep your accuracy up. Golf is definately a game of accuracy and putting. If you have those two then you can keep your scores low.

Gerry has the distance but not the accuracy. I think he has the possibility to do well on tour though.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I can understand your point. But it doesn't mean you're going to automatically lower your score if you bomb it. Let me ask you another question: Why, if these "bombers" at your course are hitting anything between SW to 8i are so dependent on their short games? Shouldn't they be hitting greens with those clubs? And another point: I can't buy into your argument that bombers' short games are good because I've played with most of them first hand and they can't chip or putt a lick. I recently attended the Merrill Lynch Shootout in Naples and had the opportunity to watch Bubba Watson, Camilo Villegas and some others in the field, guys who are known for their length. These guys couldn't buy a birdie unless they went on some hot streak with their putters, which didn't last long. The guys who were scoring machines were the Johnson's, Calcavecchia's, Austin's, Funk's of life who put the ball in the fairway, and accuracy is their game. I say again the reason Tiger wins so much is because of his putting. 1 three putt all week at the Target World Challenge. And another thing, course designers are basically catering their designs to the longer hitters. Courses are getting longer and longer and the game is getting out of hand. They're leaving the rest of us out in the cold. Example, next year's US Open course Torrey Pines, is playing at 7,600+ from the tips.

I never said being a "bomber" will automatically lower your score. We seem to be constantly talking aboout two different things(ie the local better players I'm talking about [0-4] handicap are NOT pro's). The guys I'm refering to do hit a lot of greens(I bet close to 50-60%)... but they still need to make the putt(good short game). When they do miss a green, they do need to get up and down(again, short game) Of course, they are not playing the 7,300+ course lenths that the pro's are playing.

Tiger Woods IS consistently near the top of the PGA tour driving stats, giving him the right to be called a "Bomber". Where does Tiger sit on the grand scheme of things? FWIW: I'm also rooting for Josh...

I'm glad Brian won just because I think he'll have the best showing at the PGA event. It was surely an anti-climatic final though.

Cheers and happy holidays to all.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I'm glad Brian won just because I think he'll have the best showing at the PGA event. It was surely an anti-climatic final though.

Yes, it was very boring. Josh did not play well at all. Did he hit a fairway?

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Brian actually said "iron" once! That's what won me over. That and the fact that he proved to be super solid.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Brian actually said "iron" once! That's what won me over. That and the fact that he proved to be super solid.

I noticed that too. I was about to turn the TV off if he said "2i" again. He really is the better player of the two. Josh never had a chance. I think Josh may have hit two fairways the whole time and Brian hit almost every one.

I had a really hard time going against Brian at the end. The guy has a solid game and he was really focused. I figured that he would try to mess with Josh but he was professional throughout the whole final.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I wanted to cheer against Brian. The little stuff like "8i" and "junior mountain goat." The thing is, he has a nice game. The guy was 3 under for the semi's and like 5 under last night. I do like the fact that he doesn't look like everyone on tour.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!