IGNORED

Big Break Mesquite

Ben
Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just saying that it seems like we're all being fed a line. When you guys get an opportunity, check out the Callaway website and take a look at the video were Ernie Els is being fitted for his driver. Ernie has stated before that he hits his driver 290 (carry). Funny thing is when you look at the screen shot of the lauch monitor computer screen his three drives max out at 265 to 270 yards (carry). Moments later the clubfitter tells Ernie he's carrying the ball an average of 301 yards!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of 100 yd shots are hit with PW's too guys - or even 9's when the wind is swirling (even though they can muscle a lob wedge that far- some of them). What club you hit from a given distance is not that important. I got a lot better when I started hitting 3/4 shots with my wedges. I made more birdies which I needed to start doing

I agree that different clubs might be used to hit the same distance based upon temperature, lie, wind, presence of obstacles, pin placement, etc. I play the same par 3 151 yard hole at my home course with anything from a 9 to a 7 depending upon the day's circumstance. However, that doesn't mean that I'd challenge a top notch player's ability to hit a 165 9 iron!

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

jammer 59: So what you're saying is that these tour pros are infalible, right? They can't be questioned? They can't be doubted? That's like saying that you would could trust Victor Conte with the knowledge that you are taking steroids. Just because they say that they hit a club a certain distance doesn't mean you have to take their word for it. Wouldn't you feel cheated if you knew you were paying too much for a certain item yet you didn't find out until much later that you were taken for a ride? Of course. Just look at the facts. To say that only pros can do these things is junk. Look at the likes of Nicklaus and others who are saying that the gap between tour pro and amateur has grown to insurmountable depths. It isn't like it used to be when the old timers were playing. The gap wasn't as big as it is now. Something has got to give.

Jiogolf: I'm not saying that tour pros are infallible -- look at their stats and you know that isn't true. I'm merely saying that I see no reason to disbelieve that someone can routinely hit a 165 yd 9 iron in perfect weather, a bit of altitude and thin, dry air. To assume that pros don't hit the clubs they say they're hitting at various distances means you'd have to buy into some major conspiracy theory involving the pros, the network commentators, magazine editorialists, etc. Pretty far-fetched.

I'm saying excellent mechanics, good altheleticsm, primo equipment and the best fitters should make their club selection and statistics seem far from our normal under most circumstances. I'll use my own personal saga as an example:

In early August, I was playing with a 10 year old set of Mizuno T-Zoid Sure irons. I felt good hitting my 7 iron straight and 155 yds under benign weather conditions. In late August, I bought a used set of Callaway X-18s. Almost instantly, same swing, I'm hitting the 7 iron easily 160+ without a swing change. Wow, these clubs are HOT. Some investigation yields the answer -- each iron is 2+ degrees stronger in the X-18 versus the T-Zoids. The decrease in loft is compensated by the lower COG and larger sweet spot so they're not only intrinsically "longer" but I hit the sweet spot more often.

In October, I got the X-18s fitted. They added .5 inch to the length and made the lie angle 3Deg more upright -- I'm 6-1 with an upright posture addressing the ball. Now, I'm not surprised to hit a smooth 175 yd 7 iron. That's a 15+ yd increase due to equipment selection and proper fitting.

I'd expect then that better skill, conditioning and equipment could easily result in some pretty good club distance disparities between pros and myself. No conspiracy.

At the same time, I do believe that manufacturers make exaggerated claims about their latest equipment. Each generation of driver cannot add 10 yards or else we'll all be hitting 300+ within 4-5 years.

My Bag:

Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

Every time I look in the "What's in my bag" articles in Golf Digest, the average pro says they hit a 9 iron anywhere between 135 and 145 yards. That's almost 20 yards less than what is stated on the show.

I think you will find the yardages listed in the "Whats in my bag" articles are a players favorite, most comfortable yardage. They can probably get huge distances with higher lofted clubs but they are palying the hit it close. I can hit my 8 iron longer than 155 but 155 is the number I pull the 8 iron at because I can control it from there. A challenge on the range is one thing but on the course is another. Once you get a score card in your hand it's not how far that matters, its how many.

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Wow, the Eliminator strikes again. I actually thought Gerry was headed out the way he was hitting it, but came through clutch. Really in most versions of the Big Break there have been guys I was hoping would be eliminated because I didn't like them. Because Anthony got knocked off early, there isn't really anyone else who is abrasive on the show. Ability wise though, I thin Gerry and Kevin should be the next to go.

As for Josh, at the beginning I thought he would be out in one of the first three episodes. You can just see his confidence growing and the sense that he can play with these guys. I don't think he'll win, but I've found myself going from thinking he was a bit of a knob to cheering for him a bit.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Is it me or does the new male host suck? Vince, where are you?!

It's not just you -- he's awful. When he tries to lay on the suspense, I cringe. Frankly more golf shots and less "reality show" dialogue would be welcome.

My Bag:

I like to watch Big Break Mesquite because the guys are just average duffers who occassionally can hit a good shot. But their egos really suck. Benoit is now gone thank goodness; it was tiring to hear him say he could go out and shoot a 61 on any day - yeah, at a par 3 course, maybe.

I have also tired of the big guy. He's definitely not someone I would enjoy playing 18 with; life's too short.

And the Japanese guy's fake humility has also made me sick of him; enough. Just politely say "thank you" when you get a compliment.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I like to watch Big Break Mesquite because the guys are just average duffers who occassionally can hit a good shot. But their egos really suck. Benoit is now gone thank goodness; it was tiring to hear him say he could go out and shoot a 61 on any day - yeah, at a par 3 course, maybe.

Average duffers? How many college and Mini-Tour events have you won? Have you ever finished top 10 in a Nationwide event. These guys are all outstanding players. They may not be the cream of the PGA Tour crop, but they are far from average. Remember they are not out playing 18 holes where you can make up for a bad hole with a good shot on the next. They are getting thrown into events where they are asked to pull off some tough shots under the microscope of a National TV audience with huge career implications in the balance.

Everything I have heard about Hiroshi is that he is a genuinely nice guy. Did you see how he was talking to Josh after the King of The Hill match. He's out there telling him how great he is playing and to just keep working hard. He didn't have to say a word to the guy, but he went out of his way to lift him up. If he was phony, you would have heard the other guys bitching about him by now. When it gets down to the last few guys, there is usually no love loss.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Is there any doubt that Heroshi isn't going to win it all?

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

No question he is the best player. The only concern I would have is that he has not been tested too often. He only had to hit two shots in the King of The Hill match and then he was done for the day. You could see what type of player he was in the team competition. He hits his first ball OB then proceeds to make eagle on his provisional for a net par. That is clutch.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are building him up (and rightly from what we have seen, as he has been the best player) so that when he gets bounced it will be more dramatic. The editors of the show have the hindsight of knowing who wins so they can edit the previous shows to build drama.

How can Gerry not hit a wedge shot? His first shot on the tube challenge looked like something I would do. And his drive on the par 5 is something I definitely do...although about 50-60yds shorter.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are building him up (and rightly from what we have seen, as he has been the best player) so that when he gets bounced it will be more dramatic. The editors of the show have the hindsight of knowing who wins so they can edit the previous shows to build drama.

Shows also build up the winner so that when he is out on the tour playing the show gets more notoriaty, 'hey, i saw him on that show' if he didnt get a lot of camera time, the non die hards may not recognize as easily. Either way though makes sense.

Anyways, it takes only one or two bad shots at the wrong time in this format and your going home. So you never know.

regarding Heroshi's "fake" humility comment... I see Josh about once a week at 2 of our local courses. He says Herohsi's only problem is that he doesn't know how good he is. He's genuinely humble - and nice. We're obviously all routing for Josh here ;)

p.s. Josh said the biggest challenge wasn't so much adjusting to the elevation, but the heat. It got up to 120 degrees during their 2 weeks in Mesquite.

www.artfulgolfer.com

regarding Heroshi's "fake" humility comment... I see Josh about once a week at 2 of our local courses. He says Herohsi's only problem is that he doesn't know how good he is. He's genuinely humble - and nice. We're obviously all routing for Josh here ;)

Being the in-experienced golfer i dont think Josh really needs to be commenting on what Hiroshi needs to do. That said he would be the underdog favorite so yeah im rooting for him aswell. One of them deserves to win this thing, you can see Kevin and Gerry arent able to handle pressure and definetely dont have the game Hiroshi and Josh do. And Brian Contact just seems like a prick.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Being the in-experienced golfer i dont think Josh really needs to be commenting on what Hiroshi needs to do. That said he would be the underdog favorite so yeah im rooting for him aswell. One of them deserves to win this thing, you can see Kevin and Gerry arent able to handle pressure and definetely dont have the game Hiroshi and Josh do. And Brian Contact just seems like a prick.

Yes, Josh didn't actually present it as a "problem", as I did. He simply said Hiroshi is very good, and doesn't know just how good he really is. Actually, that can be more of a strength than a weakness ;)

www.artfulgolfer.com

Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!