IGNORED

Waiting for playoff: any restrictions on activities?

Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the recent Irish Open, EPepperell had about one hour to wait till other players finished their round. It was very cold and wet outdoors.

Could Pepperell have taken a hot shower, a massage, a 20 minute nap and changed into dry clothes before the playoff?  Or must he wait around in the clubhouse, or on practice green, in wet and cold clothing?

Is this a Committee decision or individual choice?

In my opinion, he could do pretty much anything he wanted to do.  His "stipulated round" was over once he'd signed his card.  The rules only discuss activities during the stipulated round.  For instance, most practice isn't allowed during the round, but is allowed after the round is complete, and before a playoff.  As far as I'm aware, he could have taken the shower, nap, massage, and changed his clothes even during the round, as long as didn't delay play.  This comes up sometimes during a rain delay, when a player can be disqualified for using a "practice club" to warm up.

Of course the committee may have additional rules that could override what the Rules of Golf say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe they're not limited. I think people have even left the tournament and come back for a playoff before -- Brandt Snedeker did this at Torrey Pines IIRC. I can't imagine someone who shoots a low round early in the day wouldn't be allowed to stay loose on the range.

I believe they're not limited. I think people have even left the tournament and come back for a playoff before -- Brandt Snedeker did this at Torrey Pines IIRC. I can't imagine someone who shoots a low round early in the day wouldn't be allowed to stay loose on the range.

They always show them hitting balls and warming up - of course they can practice while they wait.  As mentioned above, the stipulated round is finished, so they are free agents until the playoff starts.  I'd say that the only prohibition would be practicing on the tournament course.

Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!