IGNORED

LPGA Northwest Arkansas Open (now for 2017!)

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

So my first observation is these girls really take a long time to hit the ball. Some taking 3-4 practice swings. I am a very fast golfer, so maybe I'll slow down a little and analyze the shot more to lower my scores.

Their short games and putting aren't very good either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Their short games and putting aren't very good either.

Yeah. Not as many up and downs as I had expected. Paula Creamer skilled one out of a bunker to the other side of the green and had a long two putt for bogey.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Sunday and local favorite Stacey Lewis is in the hunt.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

NY Choi wins with a new caddy who never caddied before.   Crazy & lucky finish for her.  Feel sorry for Stacy Lewis who played well all year but couldn't buy a win.  But she didn't give herself a chance at 18th par 5 hole, laying up for her 2nd shot knowing she was two behind.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

NY Choi wins with a new caddy who never caddied before.   Crazy & lucky finish for her.  Feel sorry for Stacy Lewis who played well all year but couldn't buy a win.  But she didn't give herself a chance at 18th par 5 hole, laying up for her 2nd shot knowing she was two behind.

yah, Lewis just said that in 18, she knew she needed eagle on the par 5.... and she thought she could get her second shot to the front right part of the green (but not over a bunker on line with the back left pin). So she chose to lay up and play her third from 100yds. Commentators scratching their heads too after her interview. Congrats to NY Choi who earned this down the stretch.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

If you cant make an eagle and are in a share for second then laying up to go for a birdie and outright second makes sense.

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

It was kind of heartbreaking for the local crowd. You could head the "oh no" after NY Choi holed out on 16 then hit it tight on 17. Ive gone for the green in 2 on 18 from the tees they were playing and I think she could have had a better shot with a long putt or even a green side bunker shot. We were all questioning her choice to lay up when she did so. Worst case she hits the ball into the front bunker then gets up and down for bogey or par. I dont think she would have been tied for 2nd. Either way, she made par on 18 after missing her birdie putt.

Kyle Paulhus

It was kind of heartbreaking for the local crowd. You could head the "oh no" after NY Choi holed out on 16 then hit it tight on 17. Ive gone for the green in 2 on 18 from the tees they were playing and I think she could have had a better shot with a long putt or even a green side bunker shot. We were all questioning her choice to lay up when she did so. Worst case she hits the ball into the front bunker then gets up and down for bogey or par. I dont think she would have been tied for 2nd. Either way, she made par on 18 after missing her birdie putt.

It was even weirder than that. The TV folks said that Lewis had no idea where she stood playing 18. Karen Stupples had been walking with her and caught her right after her round and Lewis said that hearing it just then from Stupples was when she heard about where she really stood playing the last hole. Didn't know Choi had gone eagle birdie. Then she says yeah I couldn't carry the bunker in front of 18 green, best I could have done was put my 2nd shot on the front right of the green so I laid up. WTH? And then she bogied 18 (remember she dumped her approach into the left bunker after laying up, horrible shot), she wouldn't have even been in a playoff, one of her playing competitors ended up beating her too, she ended up T3. AND then you hear her talking to other reporters in the background saying she knew she needed eagle. WTH? No wonder Rankin and Stupples are going what the hell!?! It all made no sense at all. She had no clue where she stood, all she had to do was ask. And then saying stupid stuff on top of it. Wow.

Steve

If you cant make an eagle and are in a share for second then laying up to go for a birdie and outright second makes sense.

Not for the amount of money Stacy makes from sponsors, ads, and LPGA purse.    Also, there is a BIG difference between 1st place purse vs sole 2nd's.   I.e, going for eagle on 18th is the only option she should have as NYC isn't going to make worse than par on the 18th.   The only explanation I can guess on Stacy's decision is either she felt NYC can do bogey or worse, or she didn't know NYC's score and didn't want to admit to it afterward.   Either way, it is unforgettable given her veteran status and world ranking.  It was a mental mistake.  I can only hope she learns from this.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

There were plenty of fans within 5 ft of her on 18 tee. She could've easily said where do I stand and maybe 500 people coulda told her. It was a mental mistake and cost her defending her win at Pinnacle. The course was in excellent shape and I can't wait to get out and play it tomorrow!

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator

There were plenty of fans within 5 ft of her on 18 tee. She could've easily said where do I stand and maybe 500 people coulda told her. It was a mental mistake and cost her defending her win at Pinnacle. The course was in excellent shape and I can't wait to get out and play it tomorrow!

Yeah, a mental mistake, I think. They talked about it on the commentary - she didn't seem to know where she stood.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

> Their short games and putting aren't very good either.

OK you know this can't go on without facts :-)

Are the ladies that much worse? Data????

>Their short games and putting aren't very good either.

It's apples and oranges since PGA Tour tournament greens are typically faster than that of LPGA (my educated guess).  The LPGA average putt per round = 28.5.   That would be T34 for PGA tour.   At least this is one data.

I watch both LPGA & PGA a lot.   There is a big difference in short game quality between PGA & LPGA players, especially, after top 30 LPGA players.   That's my observation, no data to back it up.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

It's apples and oranges since PGA Tour tournament greens are typically faster than that of LPGA (my educated guess).  The LPGA average putt per round = 28.5.   That would be T34 for PGA tour.   At least this is one data.

I watch both LPGA & PGA a lot.   There is a big difference in short game quality between PGA & LPGA players, especially, after top 30 LPGA players.   That's my observation, no data to back it up.

Yes, they slowed them down to 11.5 on the stimp where as I (and other members) play them in the 12's.

Kyle Paulhus

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Yes, they slowed them down to 11.5 on the stimp where as I (and other members) play them in the 12's.

I meant to say "the best LPGA average putt per round = 28.5."    Bottom line, LPGA short game & putting < PGA short game & putting.    One can't really compare LPGA with PGA in any category since far more boys/men train and compete to get into PGA.   More players, better quality of playing.  Even in things like putting that does not require physical strength, LPGA players will fall behind their counterparts.   But back to the OT, thanks for starting the thread and posting pictures.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator

There's plenty of data on it. It was in Golf Digest or something within about the last two years, for example.

• Upvote 1

She said to Karen that she did not know about NYC making eagle, but she said she heard people talking that she needs to eagle the 18th. So she sort of knew where she stood.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this thread as today is the first round for 2017. I am headed to the clubhouse later this afternoon. Kind of bummed Lexi isn't here this year, but I'm sure there will still be some good golf to watch. 

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!