IGNORED

How can I tell if I like/putt well with a putter before buying?

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[SPOILER=OT Amateur Status]An amateur may accept a prize (e.g., merchandise or gift certificates) of a retail value not greater than $500. He may not accept cash in any amount (unless it's gambling). If a player were to accept a prize exceeding this limit (e.g., a car), he would forfeit his amateur status as a golfer. By doing so he would not necessarily become a "professional." Rather, he would simply be a non-amateur. [/SPOILER]

Right, but I'm technically getting merchandise... I would just be reselling it. But no one needs to know that?... This was a two part tournament, 2 stroke play rounds then 32 man match play... If you won both you would have gotten $550 in gift certificates... And lost your amateur status? Also, first place in the Indiana State Am gets $750 in a certificate and that is run by the official Indiana Golf Association. What's the deal?

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right, but I'm technically getting merchandise... I would just be reselling it. But no one needs to know that?...

This was a two part tournament, 2 stroke play rounds then 32 man match play... If you won both you would have gotten $550 in gift certificates... And lost your amateur status? Also, first place in the Indiana State Am gets $750 in a certificate and that is run by the official Indiana Golf Association. What's the deal?

I guess I had old info and they raised it.

http://golf.about.com/od/amateurgolf/a/amateur_rule3.htm

3-2. Prize Limits

• a. General

An amateur golfer must not accept a prize (other than a symbolic prize) or prize voucher of retail value in excess of $750 or the equivalent, or such a lesser figure as may be decided by the Governing Body. This limit applies to the total prizes or prize vouchers received by an amateur golfer in any one competition or series of competitions.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Before I realized the benefits of being fitted I tested a putter using this technique.  I would use my own game ball to get a feel for how the ball came off the face. Some putters felt better than others.

Next I would hit balls off both ends of the putter face. I wanted to know how much twisting might take place on miss hits. Some putters don't twist as much as others.

If the feel was good, and there was not much twisting going on, then I would find where the sweet spot on the putter face was, and mark it. If the sweet spot was on the putter face where it did not cause me any visual grief when putting, then I figured I had a putter that might work well for me.

Those were the three things I checked before considering a purchase of a putter. If I could leave a deposit, I would ask the proprietor to take the putter out on the practice green with real grass. If I putted well outdoors, then I usually purchased the putter.

I have to give credit for this technique to a 1930s golfer Jug McSpaden. At the time he was considered one of the best, if not the best putter in pro golf.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Before I realized the benefits of being fitted I tested a putter using this technique.  I would use my own game ball to get a feel for how the ball came off the face. Some putters felt better than others.

Next I would hit balls off both ends of the putter face. I wanted to know how much twisting might take place on miss hits. Some putters don't twist as much as others.

If the feel was good, and there was not much twisting going on, then I would find where the sweet spot on the putter face was, and mark it. If the sweet spot was on the putter face where it did not cause me any visual grief when putting, then I figured I had a putter that might work well for me.

Those were the three things I checked before considering a purchase of a putter. If I could leave a deposit, I would ask the proprietor to take the putter out on the practice green with real grass. If I putted well outdoors, then I usually purchased the putter.

I have to give credit for this technique to a 1930s golfer Jug McSpaden. At the time he was considered one of the best, if not the best putter in pro golf.

I've bought as many putters as there are kids in a large classroom using a similar technique.

It's all fine for feel, but does not do anything for aim.

That's why Edel and/or lasers are useful - to see where you aim.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

I've bought as many putters as there are kids in a large classroom using a similar technique.

It's all fine for feel, but does not do anything for aim.

Yup. And it doesn't even do as well for your feel (distance control, specifically) as you'd think, either…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yup. And it doesn't even do as well for your feel (distance control, specifically) as you'd think, either…

Excellent point.

The only feel that going outside would provide is sound.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Two years ago when I first realized there was a possibility that I wasn't aiming the putter where I thought I was aiming it, I verified by taking a small piece of mirror, taped it to the face of my putter, and had my wife aim a small laser at the face as I attempted to line up to the laser. Way off. High and right.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!