IGNORED

Tired of People Hating on the 3-iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you carry a 3-iron? What's your handicap index?

• Yes; Single Digits
    • No; Single Digits
    • Yes; 10-18
    • No; 10-18
    • Yes; 19+
    • No; 19+

• Administrator
You cant tell me that a 3 iron is easier to hit then a 3 hybrid. Its all personal preference but the 3 hybrid is easier to hit, hands down.

It's not as easy to control the trajectory and shot shape, no.

Easier to get airborne? I guess... but I don't have that problem with a 3-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting the 3 iron airborne is one of the problems Ive had with it, the hybrid works out nicer for me and I get a bit more distance with it, however mine is 19* where I think my 3 iron was 21*.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I currently don't have a standard 3i, only my hybrid which I absolutlely hate. Can't hit that club nor the 4 hybrid yet I love my standard 4i & utilize it all the time. If I can find a decent cavity backed 3i I will snag it asap, haven't looked yet.

Long irons are vital to my game, I rely on them the majority of the time off the tee on holes 400 yds or less ...in fact, I still carry my muscle back 2i (the chicken stick) and utilize it quite often doing a round.

I can see the need for hybrids, but for me personally I do not like the ball flight. I am a high ball player by nature and hybrids really balloon on me.

I will go the method of "game improvement" clubs one day but that's down the road.

Doug
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

I love my 3i and I also have a naturally high ball flight so hybrids usualy ballon on my too. Also I like that I can work the ball with my 3i more then with a hybrid.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Don't actually carry a 3 iron purely because i carry a 4 hybrid which hits the same yardage for me. Thus, i carry a 4 iron as well as 4 hybrid. I completely agree with most posts in this thread in that the trajectory and added control of a long iron is both necessary and rewarding if struck correctly. Although i carry both a 2 and 4 hybrid, there is no way i will be dropping the 4 iron.

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

I play my 3i off the tee on tight or short par 4's a lot. I can count on it for 215 yards. I definitely don’t have a problem with flight. I have to work hard at keeping it low.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I no longer carry my 3iron. I can hit my 4iron 200-210yards and that seems to be the same yardage as my 3iron as well. So I removed it and have been trying a Adams hybrid for 8 months now and I've never gotten comfortable with it. I demoted it to the garage bag of storage and got a Titleist 503H. I seem to hit it pretty well.

Single figures and yes carry 3 Iron but can count on my hands how often ive needed it this year, hitting the ball as long as i do means my approach shots are mainly the 150-200 (apart from long par 5s) so not used the 3 iron much as I hit my 4 about 208-212.

I broke out the 3iron at the range today and man I freaking just killed it! I may have to use it again, maybe..LOL...

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

I don't hate the 3 iron... I don't even own one, so how could I hate it? I simply cant hit one more than about once every 5 or 6 swings, so what's the sense of it. I also don't carry my 4 or 5 irons, because I hit the hybrids well from variety of uncomfortable situations where the irons just wouldn't work very well.

If I was always in the fairway, maybe I'd take the time to relearn those long irons (I used to even carry a 2 iron). Unfortunately, much of my time on the course is spent in places the designer never imagined a golf ball could be hit to. Thus, I need more flexibility in my set... , and the 3 hybrids I carry fit the bill nicely.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I pulled the 3 iron 2 years ago as part of a double switch.
3I and 5W OUT
3Hy and GW IN

No regrets either.

Now, I'm thinking about yanking the 4 iron for a 5Hy. I'm just concerned about the lowest lofted iron being a 5. Low punches from the rough using the 3Hy may not be the best play.

One day I lost the plastic tuning port off my Ping I3 8 iron. I had to take it from my 3 iron.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I'll never replace my 3-Iron.
I love hitting with it and I can hit it well, consistently.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I replaced my 3i about a year ago with my bafler, but havent tried it sence about a year ago, and i have improved alot sence then, so im thinking of putting one back in the bag, and but a hybrid my bag to fill the 5wood, 2i gap, but im not sure yet.

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

Try hitting a one iron for practice, makes the 3 seem very easy.

Agreed.

IMO, people who can't hit a 3-Iron are either lazy (and want golfing-shortcuts by using a hybrid) or just have bad technique.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Try hitting a one iron for practice, makes the 3 seem very easy.

If you are trying to hit a one iron in the same situation as a 3 (ie;in the fairway)then of course its going to be difficult! IMHO a one iron is for the tee only, and thats easy.

EDIT: No I don't use a modern one iron either, its a 1980-90's ish wilson TR-1200. So, no, not very forgiving.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!