IGNORED

Putting - the frustration

808hacker
Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Isn't it that anchored putters are only becoming illegal for professionals ?    I'm sure I read that for amateurs, it'll never be illegal to anchor.    AMIRITE ?

You heard wrong.

Anchoring is against the Rules of Golf as of January 1, 2016 for all (who follow the Rules of Golf).

Ah ok ... thx for the clarification

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welp, I just had the weirdest round I've ever had. First, I got stuck in traffic so I had to run to the tee box, tee off without paying, and run down the fairway as the intercom guy is like "player running is from the group ahead and is late....you need to pay when you are done." So I hit one snap hook OB, then I spend the rest of the day hitting laser tee shots 280-295 for the rest of the day. I was never behind a tree. I always had an easy shit to the green. I did, however, play with my new irons without ever hitting them other than at the fitting, which was interesting lol. But the point is this: I had 2 four putts and like 5 three putts. It was the worst putting day I've ever had. I could absolutely not adjust to the extreme speed of the greens. When I know greens will be fast, such as a links style course or a pristine championship course, I putt great and am fully adjusted to the fast greens. But when it's a local muni with dew on the ground and shade on the green, so much so that your ball is hydroplaning, I 100% could not get it through my head that the greens were very fast. What a bizarre day.

^^  I'm with you on not being able to adjust to fast greens.   I play so many different courses - it's always a struggle to adjust to green speeds, fast ones are the toughest for me.   I actually like slow, non-rolled, borderline shaggy greens...

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I do like fast and true greens as long as I get the feel of it before the round. They are tough though and I have definitely struggled on faster greens more than slow greens in my life

I'm the complete opposite most courses I play the greens are rolling 8-9, every once in awhile I play some shaggier greens and I never seem to get it to the hole always coming up 1" to 1' short. Fast true greens are the best you get a lot more finesse putts rather then just jamming it in the hole.

I prefer soft fast greens. I've played on them and they're wonderful. What we usually get are hard fast greens that make landing an approach shot a crap shoot unless you're highly skilled, or soft shaggy greens that make putting difficult, or irregular greens that are like putting on broccoli.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The more I can envision the ball going into the hole, the more positive my stroke can be "Never give the hole away" "Aim to go over the hole or into the hole" I think it helps to be decisive and either be aggressive or just use touch and baby the ball to the hole and live with the decision How are you going to feel if you decide to aggressive and the ball rolls more than 3 feet past the hole? How are you going to react if you decide to be baby the ball and it comes few inches short of dropping in? I think how you react and knowing how you react will make you a better putter

It's been 3 weeks since I posted and I am happy to say that my putting woes are gone!

After doing that video about figuring out the "correct" stance, my putting has dramatically improved. It has fixed my path issues that I have been having and now I am putting a lot better. How much better? Yesterday I had six one putts and three two putts. NO 3 PUTTS! I'm making way more putts simply because I am hitting my lines!

I went from the worst to decent now. It's much more fun when I can make a few putts.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/golf_putting_aid_putting_tutor.aspx

Get one of those and mark the equator of your ball with a sharpie. can be done with a thingee from any golf store that costs $8. Best things I've ever purchased. Once you have total confidence in your putting stroke, you can work on speed and green reading almost exclusively. Otherwise, you'll start compensating your stroke mechanics to mask your frustration at misreading greens and/or speed. Consistency is so key with putting.

Work on your routine as well. I practice putting with the same stroke pattern every time.

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!