IGNORED

Video on spine, core, myths, exercises.

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[video]https://youtu.be/033ogPH6NNE[/video] Thoughts? Agree or disagree? The alternate sit-ups, anyone try that? Is it effective?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in no way educated on the human body, but through my research on lifting weights, workouts etc., I've come to be a fan of McGill and the information he provides.

I don't do situps and never will. My stomach exercises has been static or through weight lifting like deadlifts and squats.

You ask if it's effective; effective for or against what?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm in no way educated on the human body, but through my research on lifting weights, workouts etc., I've come to be a fan of McGill and the information he provides. I don't do situps and never will. My stomach exercises has been static or through weight lifting like deadlifts and squats. You ask if it's effective; effective for or against what?

Strengthening and while not harming golf. Haven't tried it yet, but it doesn't look intensive. Could be totally wrong.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Agree with him that crunches and sit ups can be harmful. Disagree with his opinion on stretching. Disagree with him on his opinion that "sucking in" the stomach won't protect my lower back. Although, what he describes as "stiffening" the abs, may be the same thing I do, and it works.

I haven't tried them yet, but his exercises look legitimate. When I used to do leg lifts, I'd put my hands at the base of my spine as he shows in the video and it seemed to make a huge difference.

Jon

My wife and another person years ago told me that the best thing a golfer can do during their golf career, to protect their back, is to rotate the hips with the spine. Not rotate the spine then the hips. This is especially true with out of shape amateurs. One of the best ways to prevent a golf swing back injury is to make sure  to ride up on the rear big toe as the down swing progresses. This big rear toe movement is something I have done religiously all of my golfing days. That, and I don't try to swing out of my shoes every time I take a full swing.  Although I have to deal with other physical injuries due to a car wreck, I do not have any back issues after some 45+/- years of golf. Most of my exercise comes from lots of walking (hikes) and continuing to play this cow pasture game. I also believe that strong , healthy legs can prevent some golf swing injuries.

Don't get me wrong, I still think working out, and keeping one's core/back/belly muscles in shape is a good thing for the golfer. I also think that no matter how well a golfer takes care of their body, being obsessed with distance (swing speed) and less with accuracy will eventually, physically hurt a golfer over the long run.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

At 79 years old Gary Player does 1000 sit-ups per day - it hasn't hurt him.

How do you know?

Edit: Also, in this video , he says (and does) 1300 crunches, not sit-ups, which has a lot less flexion in the back.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3213 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!