IGNORED

What should I write down for a score?

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the risk of continuing the lengthy discussion of the previous thread, I'd say that the integrity of the handicap system lies in posting the accurate score, not the lowest possible score.  If the player is hitting his 5th shot, posting a 4 is not accurate, in my opinion.  The lone decision on Rule 4-1 puts the responsibility for determining the most likely score on the player: It consists of the number of strokes already taken plus, in the player's best judgment , the number of strokes needed to complete the hole from that position more than half the time. The player must evaluate each situation based on what the player can reasonably expect to score. As to match play vs. stroke play, there's nothing in the rules or decisions that limits the appropriateness of either rule (4-1 or 4-2) to match or stroke play.   Again, I understand your reasoning as to which rule applies, I simply disagree with it.

Rule 4-1 applies to unfinished holes and conceded strokes. . Neither apply to this scenario... 4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1.) 4-2 applies to this situation as the hole was completed, just not under the rules... 4-2. Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Principles of The Rules of Golf If a player does not play a hole or plays it other than under the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies), the score recorded for that hole for handicap purposes must be par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole. This hole score, when recorded, should be preceded by an "X."

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Rule 4-1 applies to unfinished holes and conceded strokes.. Neither apply to this scenario...

Huh?

4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes

A player who starts, but does not complete a hole … must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1.)

That applies.

Furthermore, several people who are in the handicapping committees of local golf associations here (and some with the USGA) have told me that in a case like this you'd mark your most likely score.

It's an estimate. It may not be super duper 100% accurate, but you're tasked at that point as a golfer with estimating your most likely score, in making a good faith effort. A 4 makes no sense. He's hitting 5 from the tee. Maybe he holes out. Most likely he does not . I wouldn't have you write down less than a 6. I think estimating an 8 is going a bit too far perhaps, but a 6 or possibly a 7 could seem reasonable to me.

Yes, there was a lengthy discussion about it in the other thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'll have to read up on this par plus strokes because I don't know anything about it.. Now, most likely score could have been a 6,7 or 8 no? I could argue that I had just birdied the previous par 3 which was the same exact distance.. So, is it legitimate for me to just say that the most likely score is me hitting on the green and putting out for a 7? I'm not arguing I'm just thinking out loud here :)

Most of your question has been answered and, as @iacas pointed out this issue was extensively thrashed about in another thread. so I just want to address this specific point.

The fact that you make a birdie on #4 which is 173 yards does not make birdie on number 14 which is also 173 yards the most likely score on that hole.*  So no, I do not think that writing down a 7 based on that reasoning would be legitimate.

* -in my own personal case it is probably the LEAST likely score, as it would be very rare for me to birdie 2 par 3s in the same round.  But that's me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Most of your question has been answered and, as @iacas pointed out this issue was extensively thrashed about in another thread. so I just want to address this specific point.   The fact that you make a birdie on #4 which is 173 yards does not make birdie on number 14 which is also 173 yards the most likely score on that hole.*  So no, I do not think that writing down a 7 based on that reasoning would be legitimate. * -in my own personal case it is probably the LEAST likely score, as it would be very rare for me to birdie 2 par 3s in the same round.  But that's me.

It was probably the way I worded it, but if I birdy the whole I put down a 6.. Which I didn't put down because as you mentioned it is not the most likely score at all and you are right, just because I birdied one doesn't mean I will birdie the other. I was asking a rhetorical question of me hitting the green and putting out as in 2 putting for the 7.. But, yeah you are right my question has been answered and the other thread has been extremely informative.. And I think using the most likly score sounds like a legitimate way going forward if this comes up again.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!