IGNORED

58 Degree SW Issues

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now THAT was very interesting!

Yes, most leading edges are off the ground a bit, but if your swing is intact - weight forward and flat left wrist - all should be okay.

I had trouble with high leading edges on finesse shots when I needed to lay the shaft backwards ... it did not work so I had to do something else. Eventually, I purchased a wedge that fit what I wanted to do.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now THAT was very interesting!

Be interesting to know the club he used, distance, and shot flight.  I keep watching this.

Here's another.  Note the closeups when he's addressing the ball - that leading edge is well off the ground.  He doesn't need to put the ball super far back in his stance to disengage the bounce to be able to hit this shot.  And, unless there is a course out there with a diamond cart path, you're not going to find a tighter lie.

Bounce is definitely your friend ... even off of concrete! :beer:

Agree 100% with @David in FL.   I've stopped using my 58 off the fairway anymore as I've improved on partial wedge shots - thanks to @mvmac 's thread mentioned above - with the "flighted" shot approach.  Now the 58 has been relegated to basically just greenside and bunker play.

I echo this sentiment. I am a much happier player now that I don't always try for a full swing option to the green. Some extra club, choked down and flight-ed is a more controllable way to go.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Here's another.  Note the closeups when he's addressing the ball - that leading edge is well off the ground.  He doesn't need to put the ball super far back in his stance to disengage the bounce to be able to hit this shot.  And, unless there is a course out there with a diamond cart path, you're not going to find a tighter lie.

Bounce is definitely your friend ... even off of concrete!

This was simply wonderful to watch!

Open stance, definitely hitting a bit down on it. The leading edge was definitely not touching the ground either.

And definitely a shot I will NOT be trying off a cart path.

This was simply wonderful to watch!

Open stance, definitely hitting a bit down on it. The leading edge was definitely not touching the ground either.

And definitely a shot I will NOT be trying off a cart path.

I posted this earlier but I'm not sure if you looked at the thread. More on technique there and in the Quickie Pitching thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I posted this earlier but I'm not sure if you looked at the thread. More on technique there and in the Quickie Pitching thread.

I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to make it a lot more complicated than this video shows it to be!

Obviously something I will need to practice, which is not a bad thing.

Again, on the plus side, the 58 degree is simply a delight to hit from sand.

Thank you all for all of the information.  It has been very helpful.

I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to make it a lot more complicated than this video shows it to be!

Obviously something I will need to practice, which is not a bad thing.

Again, on the plus side, the 58 degree is simply a delight to hit from sand.

Thank you all for all of the information.  It has been very helpful.

You're welcome, happy to help.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Be interesting to know the club he used, distance, and shot flight.  I keep watching this.

I hit that with a 60° wedge that has… 22° of bounce on it. Now, it has some heel and toe relief, and the sole isn't SUPER wide, but that's still a lot of bounce or glide. The shot would have gone high (you can see the launch angle in the freeze frame) and would have gone about 30-40 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hit that with a 60° wedge that has… 22° of bounce on it. Now, it has some heel and toe relief, and the sole isn't SUPER wide, but that's still a lot of bounce or glide. The shot would have gone high (you can see the launch angle in the freeze frame) and would have gone about 30-40 yards.

Thank you for that!

It makes the video even more instructive for me.

back to the OP's original question:  The reason you're hitting the 58* wedge farther when you 'close-down' the club's face is because by closing the club face you are effectively reducing loft at impact which makes the ball take off on a lower trajectory, fly and roll out farther.

If I played my 58 back in my stance and closed it down (some call this 'hooding' the face) the results would be disastrous.  I can however, push my hands forward and use a slightly abbreviated swing to flight it lower and with more spin.

Frankly, I see absolutely no reason to do what you described with a wedge.  Ever.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I understand that, but without positioning the ball further back in my stance (which removes the bounce), I scull the shot.

Even with a 12º bounce, if you keep your hands slightly ahead of the ball at contact (not close the face) and keep the 2nd rule of Five Easy Keys, Inline or Flat Wrists you should not have any problem with sculling the ball.  The bottom of your swing arc should be at your left shoulder, arm-wrist-club all inline at that point.  If, like mvmac said, you are sculling the ball, you are probably flipping your wrists trying to get loft.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

Even with a 12º bounce, if you keep your hands slightly ahead of the ball at contact (not close the face) and keep the 2nd rule of Five Easy Keys, Inline or Flat Wrists you should not have any problem with sculling the ball.  The bottom of your swing arc should be at your left shoulder, arm-wrist-club all inline at that point.  If, like mvmac said, you are sculling the ball, you are probably flipping your wrists trying to get loft.

Thanks, metbid.

I'm playing on Thursday and will try positioning my hands a bit ahead and keeping flat wrists.  Picturing this, it makes a lot of sense.

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!