IGNORED

Sweating through your glove - grip

jkelley9
Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It gets really hot here in NC. I was at the range today for about an hour, really focusing on improving my ball striking and covering the things to practice that my instructor went over with me a few days ago, which means I'm taking about 30-45 seconds between shots.

When it gets blistering hot here, I sweat through my glove pretty quickly. I keep at least 2 more gloves in my bag for this reason. I'll usually change it out after about 20 balls with a dry one. When I'm on the course I can mostly avoid this issue by taking my glove off after every drive/approach shot and airing it out on the frame of the cart. It has helped a lot.

I'm worried that over time with the glove getting more wet (when I'm at the range), I'm changing my grip little by little to get the same firm feel of the club. My instructor has seen zero issues with my grip as a whole when we do our 1-hour sessions but I can FEEL my grip on the club fading with every stroke.

Is there something any of y'all do to combat this problem? Is it mostly in my head? Or something else?

Thanks!

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It gets really hot here in NC. I was at the range today for about an hour, really focusing on improving my ball striking and covering the things to practice that my instructor went over with me a few days ago, which means I'm taking about 30-45 seconds between shots.

When it gets blistering hot here, I sweat through my glove pretty quickly. I keep at least 2 more gloves in my bag for this reason. I'll usually change it out after about 20 balls with a dry one. When I'm on the course I can mostly avoid this issue by taking my glove off after every drive/approach shot and airing it out on the frame of the cart. It has helped a lot.

I'm worried that over time with the glove getting more wet (when I'm at the range), I'm changing my grip little by little to get the same firm feel of the club. My instructor has seen zero issues with my grip as a whole when we do our 1-hour sessions but I can FEEL my grip on the club fading with every stroke.

Is there something any of y'all do to combat this problem? Is it mostly in my head? Or something else?

Thanks!

Try rain gloves, try a wristband, or take some breaks every few shots. I sympathize, I have similar issues, so I try to pace myself to not sweat through the dang thing in 10 minutes

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Try rain gloves, try a wristband, or take some breaks every few shots. I sympathize, I have similar issues, so I try to pace myself to not sweat through the dang thing in 10 minutes

Yeah, the group I played with today ripped on me pretty hard because I have about 6 gloves hanging off my golf bag.  When it's hot and humid out I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 holes out of a glove before I have to hang it on the bag to dry.  I should try a wrist band I'm guessing that most of the sweat on my hands is from my arms, so that might work.  Thanks for the idea.

Joe Paradiso

I think I'll try the wrist band thing. It never occurred to me that a lot of it could be coming from my arms. I feel like my palms get really sweaty too though. But if I can get any improvement, I'll take it :-)

Is there a pretty significant impact on glove "wetness" to a proper grip and ball striking?

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

You could try an antiperspirant gel or this product http://www.lmgolfproducts.com/
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I think I'll try the wrist band thing. It never occurred to me that a lot of it could be coming from my arms. I feel like my palms get really sweaty too though. But if I can get any improvement, I'll take it

Is there a pretty significant impact on glove "wetness" to a proper grip and ball striking?

When my hands are sweaty inside the glove I feel like they move around more in the glove which usually results in me over gripping the club.

Joe Paradiso

I gave up a glove a couple of years ago and haven't used one since. When my hands start to slip I stick them in the club washer on my cart, or on the wet towel I carry and then completely dry them off. Depending on the weather I might have to do this 1-2 times per round or every other hole. If you consider ditching the glove entirely, doing that to get the sweat and oil off your hands can work

—Adam

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkelley9

Thanks!

I do this. Rain gloves work great. I usually don't wear a glove, but I wear the wristbands most of the time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

These Work great for Hot days in SFL where I constantly sweat through my glove.

DTR™Digital Tac Leather™ - The digital water resistant leather on the entire palm and fingers of the glove provides the ultimate in grip and control in all weather conditions. FiberSof™ material - Soft, breathable stretch material is located throughout the back of the hand and along the fingers for aleather-like feel, comfort and consistent fit.

I asked this exact question about a month ago (I live in AZ - it's around 110 and humid by 2PM here now). Here's what I've done to combat it-

I switched to using a glove. My problem was that I never did. My sweaty hands lost control of my gap wedge during a tournament and flung it in a lake after hitting a shot. Decided I needed to change. Found using a glove helpful.

Carry a few at all times. Good move.

I wear a wristband. Seems to help. Maybe that's mental, though.

Wipe your grips often during a round/practice session. Remove your glove and dry your hand often. Wipe your grips down with warm water/soap once in a while at home to remove the oil/grime.

Find tackier grips. I love the new Cleveland RTX wedges, but the grips are slick. I'll be replacing them with Winns, which I love on my wedges. TST guys seem to like Pure grips a lot.

Baby powder helps, too. When all else fails, bring a small bottle with you.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I saw that this sweaty glove grip thing was mentioned in other threads as a huge pain. I suffered through it in the humid DC summer for a while...then I got Grip Boost , which was a moisture resistant grip spray for golf. They specifically advertise it as "sweat proof" and in my experience it really did hold up. Anyways, it's on Amazon if you're curious: 

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Boost-Sweat-Proof-Enhancing/dp/B01K9D4080/

Good luck!

Vires Acquirit Eundo 

I had a much better time about it this summer. I would just take my glove off very shortly after making my swing. I also don't wear a glove on the putting green. I went from needing 4 gloves per round to just the one, even on the hottest of days. It gets a little wetter near the end of a round on a hot day but still manageable. 

Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!