IGNORED

My Swing (Braivo)

Braivo
Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 26 years with a several year break that ended 3 years ago

My current handicap index or average score is: 16.7

My typical ball flight is: High fade with irons, low fade with driver (with spin)

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I've largely eliminated my slice but overcompensated with a terrible pull-hook. I swing across the ball out/in.

Videos:

Thank you @iacas for taking the videos.

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd make some adjustments with the set-up first.

- Bump the hips a little forward to create more axis tilt at address.

- Add a little more flex to the knees to get he weight centered, looks back in your heels.

Shoulders and hips are also turning level to the ground, need to get the torso working on a steeper inclination. Getting the weight distribution balanced at set-up will help with this but you'll also have to feel the left shoulder work down longer as it moves inward (just a suggested feel).

Good drill for you to do.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Nice looking swing @Braivo . Have you been working with Evolvr?

Thanks Jon. No, I have not had a single lesson in my life.

I've had pretty much the same swing for 26 years, this is my first time really looking at trying to change / improve it.

I've got some work ahead to change a swing so ingrained in my muscle memory.

I'm going to take these instructions from @mvmac to the range tonight and tomorrow and see what I can do.

- Mark

Man just copy this set up it's spot on perfect widen your stance and listen to Hank here it's a perfect swing.

@Mike Boatright , please stop posting random golf videos and pictures that don't address the golfer's priorities.

Mike McLoughlin

@Mike Boatright, please stop posting random golf videos and pictures that don't address the golfer's

It said you videos allowed this video basically covered all of his questions everything he needs to widen his stance and fix his set up a bit his swing was fine I thought dude take a look at this video it's a perfect swing and one to emulate with getting technical.

I thought the video would help it addresses all of his questions without getting technical such a percet set up and swing emulate that and it would probably fix his problems sometimes it's that simple.

And I don't disagree, which is why I posted it here.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/84583/my-swing-braivo#post_1203566

Point is, all you said was "watch this video and copy this set-up". Not what piece(s) they needed to copy. Basically you can't assume the golfer is going to spot or see the same things you are seeing.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac thank you for the instruction. It's working already.

I have been practicing the setup changes, focusing first on bumping the hips forward. It feels good during setup, but as soon as I start my swing the muscle memory takes over and my hips sway back to their old position.

If I really, really consciously try to keep them forward it works and has resulted in a significantly better launch off the driver. It still fades to the right, but there are other things I need to work on later, I am focusing on this one change for now. I have hit some of my longest drives ever with this new setup.

Now the focus is to make it repeatable. Do you know of any drills I can do that will help me keep the hips forward beyond setup, something I can repeat at home and the range to train the muscles?

- Mark

@mvmac thank you for the instruction. It's working already.

I have been practicing the setup changes, focusing first on bumping the hips forward. It feels good during setup, but as soon as I start my swing the muscle memory takes over and my hips sway back to their old position.

If I really, really consciously try to keep them forward it works and has resulted in a significantly better launch off the driver. It still fades to the right, but there are other things I need to work on later, I am focusing on this one change for now. I have hit some of my longest drives ever with this new setup.

Now the focus is to make it repeatable. Do you know of any drills I can do that will help me keep the hips forward beyond setup, something I can repeat at home and the range to train the muscles?

Something like this?

Preset (Impact) Drill - Hit and Stop, Weight Forward (Key #2) Drill

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Do you know of any drills I can do that will help me keep the hips forward beyond setup, something I can repeat at home and the range to train the muscles?

At home you can set your right hip next to a chair or a wall and make sure the hip creates a little space from A1-4 (while the left shoulder still works down and across).

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 months later...
On 9/28/2015 at 10:49 AM, mvmac said:

At home you can set your right hip next to a chair or a wall and make sure the hip creates a little space from A1-4 (while the left shoulder still works down and across).

Update: I have been practicing daily with the drills you've provided and really feel the shoulders working down instead of parallel. It has translated to a tremendous improvement in my iron play to the point where I shot a personal best 40, from the tips, using only irons off the tee back in November. I have almost eliminated the bad miss hits. 

My shot shape is completely transformed. Went from a fade/slice to a slight draw and I've added about 10 yds to my mid-irons. 

When the weather clears I will get to the range and upload new videos. 

Thank you.

Unfortunately, these changes have been harder to implement on my driver swing and I still struggle off the tee. This will be a goal in 2016. 

- Mark

Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!