IGNORED

Inflated Cost of AIDS Medicine

jcjim
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yet more and more doctors have turned down patients who have medicare because the Government undercuts doctors that they can not make a profit on it. This also causes doctors who do have patients with Medicare to charge more for non-medicare insurance.

Also, more and more people are not becoming doctors. The amount of doctors per population is very bad now. With how expensive colleges are now, the required insurance against malpractice, and how the government  undercuts them there is no money for doctors to make and only headaches in being a doctor.

If I had my way. I would say any standard check up is out of pocket. Government should provide full coverage for outlier cases. Like people with cancer. People who get in severe accidents.

If you are a healthy person who goes to the doctor once a year. Pay your $100 dollars for the check up and move on. I would also do something about obesity. I wouldn't link it to BMI, that's stupid. I would say a person who's with in a certain percentage of a target weight, taking into account muscle mass and fat % measured by their doctor should get a tax break each year. If you get healthy you get paid. Honestly, a lot of our problems and our bloated health care system can be fixed by ourselves in how we live our lifestyles. You see corporations are bad. Well USA get into shape and you limit the demand for healthcare.

Sorry there aren't more doctors opting out of Medicare. Search Forbes 12/2013 "There is no shortage of doctors accepting Medicare" in essence 97% accept Medicare.

There are no shortage of doctors at 2.5 per 1000 better than most any other country.

You bet doctors need malpractice insurance because the amount of incompetent doctors is alarming. How would you like to go into the hospital and have the wrong leg removed only to have the other one cut off. It happens. But you may be one that believes this type of stuff wouldn't happen to you.

What would you do about obesity other than give people money that aren't. What is the American diet [ that's the problem ] More than 65% of people eat 2 meals per day outside of home.

Getting in shape will never have any "large effect" on health care costs. The massive costs are for illnesses not related to being obese. but as I said you have to do something about the American diet and the corporations that supply it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim View Post

Sorry there aren't more doctors opting out of Medicare. Search Forbes 12/2013 "There is no shortage of doctors accepting Medicare" in essence 97% accept Medicare.

There are no shortage of doctors at 2.5 per 1000 better than most any other country.

You bet doctors need malpractice insurance because the amount of incompetent doctors is alarming. How would you like to go into the hospital and have the wrong leg removed only to have the other one cut off. It happens. But you may be one that believes this type of stuff wouldn't happen to you.

What would you do about obesity other than give people money that aren't. What is the American diet [ that's the problem ] More than 65% of people eat 2 meals per day outside of home.

Getting in shape will never have any "large effect" on health care costs. The massive costs are for illnesses not related to being obese. but as I said you have to do something about the American diet and the corporations that supply it.

It's 2015 now and the number of doctors accepting Medicare is down to 83.7 according to the CDC, so using your 2013 numbers it means 13% less doctors take Medicare today.

I guess you read one article in Forbes from 2013, here's some more detailed data from the CDC;

Quote:

Chronic diseases and conditions—such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, obesity, and arthritis—are among the most common, costly, and preventable of all health problems.

• As of 2012, about half of all adults—117 million people—had one or more chronic health conditions. One of four adults had two or more chronic health conditions. 1
  • Seven of the top 10 causes of death in 2010 were chronic diseases. Two of these chronic diseases—heart disease and cancer—together accounted for nearly 48% of all deaths. 2
  • Obesity is a serious health concern. During 2009–2010, more than one-third of adults, or about 78 million people, were obese (defined as body mass index [BMI] ≥30 kg/m2). Nearly one of five youths aged 2–19 years was obese (BMI ≥95th percentile). 3
  • Arthritis is the most common cause of disability. 4 Of the 53 million adults with a doctor diagnosis of arthritis, more than 22 million say they have trouble with their usual activities because of arthritis. 5
  • Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, lower-limb amputations other than those caused by injury, and new cases of blindness among adults. 6

Health Risk Behaviors that Cause Chronic Diseases

Health risk behaviors are unhealthy behaviors you can change. Four of these health risk behaviors—lack of exercise or physical activity, poor nutrition, tobacco use, and drinking too much alcohol—cause much of the illness, suffering, and early death related to chronic diseases and conditions.

• In 2011, more than half (52%) of adults aged 18 years or older did not meet recommendations for aerobic exercise or physical activity. In addition, 76% did not meet recommendations for muscle-strengthening physical activity. 7
  • About half of US adults (47%) have at least one of the following major risk factors for heart disease or stroke: uncontrolled high blood pressure, uncontrolled high LDL cholesterol, or are current smokers. 8 Ninety percent of Americans consume too much sodium, increasing their risk of high blood pressure. 9
  • In 2011, more than one-third (36%) of adolescents and 38% of adults said they ate fruit less than once a day, while 38% of adolescents and 23% of adults said they ate vegetables less than once a day. 10
  • More than 42 million adults—close to 1 of every 5—said they currently smoked cigarettes in 2012. 11 Cigarette smoking accounts for more than 480,000 deaths each year. 11 Each day, more than 3,200 youth younger than 18 years smoke their first cigarette, and another 2,100 youth and young adults who smoke every now and then become daily smokers. 11
  • Drinking too much alcohol is responsible for 88,000 deaths each year, more than half of which are due to binge drinking. 12 , 13 About 38 million US adults report binge drinking an average of 4 times a month, and have an average of 8 drinks per binge, yet most binge drinkers are not alcohol dependent. 14

The Cost of Chronic Diseases and Health Risk Behaviors

In the United States, chronic diseases and conditions and the health risk behaviors that cause them account for most health care costs.

• Eighty-six percent of all health care spending in 2010 was for people with one or more chronic medical conditions. 15
  • The total costs of heart disease and stroke in 2010 were estimated to be $315.4 billion. Of this amount, $193.4 billion was for direct medical costs, not including costs of nursing home care. 16
  • Cancer care cost $157 billion in 2010 dollars. 17
  • The total estimated cost of diagnosed diabetes in 2012 was $245 billion, including $176 billion in direct medical costs and $69 billion in decreased productivity. Decreased productivity includes costs associated with people being absent from work, being less productive while at work, or not being able to work at all because of diabetes. 18
  • The total cost of arthritis and related conditions was about $128 billion in 2003. Of this amount, nearly $81 billion was for direct medical costs and $47 billion was for indirect costs associated with lost earnings. 19
  • Medical costs linked to obesity were estimated to be $147 billion in 2008. Annual medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those for people of normal weight in 2006. 20
  • For the years 2009-2012, economic cost due to smoking is estimated to be more than $289 billion a year. This cost includes at least $133 billion in direct medical care for adults and more than $156 billion for lost productivity from premature death estimated from 2005 through 2009. 11
  • The economic costs of drinking too much alcohol were estimated to be $223.5 billion, or $1.90 a drink, in 2006. Most of these costs were due to binge drinking and resulted from losses in workplace productivity, health care expenses, and crimes related to excessive drinking

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. Getting in shape will never have any "large effect" on health care costs. The massive costs are for illnesses not related to being obese. but as I said you have to do something about the American diet and the corporations that supply it.

You mean the fact that in 2005 obesity was estimated to cost 190 billion alone. Also being in shape has other health benefits later I life when health care costs spike.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You mean the fact that in 2005 obesity was estimated to cost 190 billion alone.

Also being in shape has other health benefits later I life when health care costs spike.

The key here is ESTIMATED I'd love too see the documation for that and all the estimates they made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim View Post

The key here is ESTIMATED I'd love too see the documation for that and all the estimates they made.

It's an estimate, meaning the number isn't exact, but that doesn't mean it isn't an accurate approximation of the actual figure.

Quote:
From Merriam-Webster:

1 estimate

verb es·ti·mate \ ˈ es-tə- ˌ māt\

: to give or form a general idea about the value, size, or cost of (something) : to make an estimate of (something)

Estimates are not the same as guesses. Obesity costs a lot of money in the US each year in terms of healthcare, and to ignore that is foolhardy.

By one estimate, the U.S. spent $190 billion on obesity-related health care expenses in 2005—double previous estimates. ( 1 )

1. Cawley J, Meyerhoefer C. The medical care costs of obesity: an instrumental variables approach. J Health Econ . 2012; 31:219-30

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047996/

" Finkelstein et al 16 use data from the 1998 and 2006 Medical Expenditure Panel Surveys (MEPS) along with National Health Expenditure Accounts data on health spending to construct a regression that controls for demography, smoking status, and insurance status. They divide cost estimates among payers (Medicare, Medicaid, or private) and cost category (inpatient, outpatient, or prescription). Estimated medical costs of obesity are as high as $147 billion a year for 2008, or almost 10% of all medical spending. This is a substantial increase from their 1998 estimate of $78.5 billion a year. "

That is only the medical cost,

Lets look at non-medical costs.

1) Excess Food

2) Excess clothing, more material needed for fatter people

3) Spending on weight loss programs

4 & 5) Lack of ability to do physical labor or be productive workers

6) Short term disability, excess weight causes problems like back pain and joint pain.

I stated the medical cost. Obesity COST US A LOT OF MONEY. It's all our fault as people.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

By one estimate, the U.S. spent $190 billion on obesity-related health care expenses in 2005—double previous estimates. (1)

1. Cawley J, Meyerhoefer C. The medical care costs of obesity: an instrumental variables approach. J Health Econ. 2012; 31:219-30

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047996/

"Finkelstein et al16 use data from the 1998 and 2006 Medical Expenditure Panel Surveys (MEPS) along with National Health Expenditure Accounts data on health spending to construct a regression that controls for demography, smoking status, and insurance status. They divide cost estimates among payers (Medicare, Medicaid, or private) and cost category (inpatient, outpatient, or prescription). Estimated medical costs of obesity are as high as $147 billion a year for 2008, or almost 10% of all medical spending. This is a substantial increase from their 1998 estimate of $78.5 billion a year. "

That is only the medical cost,

Lets look at non-medical costs.

1) Excess Food

2) Excess clothing, more material needed for fatter people

3) Spending on weight loss programs

4 & 5) Lack of ability to do physical labor or be productive workers

6) Short term disability, excess weight causes problems like back pain and joint pain.

I stated the medical cost. Obesity COST US A LOT OF MONEY. It's all our fault as people.

If you would like to blame yourselves that's fine but there's other reasons, one is the food that makes up the American diet and how they are delivered. That's a big problem but there are far to many that want to blame people for everything and not the true reasons for the cause.

Nobody has mentioned there are other reasons for obesity not just that people eat to much. Some people have medical reasons and people that fall into the obesity guidelines but aren't obese. But hay don't mention them just rant about people that hide in the closet eating pies...It's simply no as simple as you make it out to be.

By one estimate, the U.S. spent $190 billion on obesity-related health care expenses in 2005—double previous estimates. (1)

But if it's military spending people think it drives the economy. What's the difference?

Money is going into pockets and back into the economy.

Funny how people can celebrate one expense that's bankrupting an economy and criticise another.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If you would like to blame yourselves that's fine but there's other reasons, one is the food that makes up the American diet and how they are delivered.

People don't have to shove the food into their mouths.

Nobody has mentioned there are other reasons for obesity not just that people eat to much. Some people have medical reasons and people that fall into the obesity guidelines but aren't obese. But hay don't mention them just rant about people that hide in the closet eating pies...It's simply no as simple as you make it out to be.

There are a very very very small percentage of people who fall into the obese range but are not, athletes with extreme amount of muscle mass. That is all. The rest fit nicely into the BMI index.

When you look at those stats above, I doubt it's Tom Brady walking into the doctors office. It's people who are very much over weight.

From 1960-1979 Obesity was in the mid teens in the USA. Then from 1980 till today Obesity has been on an incline. Right now it's going towards 40% really soon. If Humans had a big genetic disposition for obesity we would have seen higher obesity rates in the past. All obesity is American's in ability to curb their urges to eat a lot of crappy food and not get off the couch.

It's absolutely simple as it seems.

But if it's military spending people think it drives the economy. What's the difference?

Money is going into pockets and back into the economy.

Funny how people can celebrate one expense that's bankrupting an economy and criticise another.

I never celebrated the military. I will say the military is more warranted than paying the bills for people who can't control their eating and lifestyle habits. I rather pay for my defense than have to flip the bill for some 350 lb guy who sits on the couch all day and wonders why he needs to spend money on medical bills for back pain, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I never celebrated the military. I will say the military is more warranted than paying the bills for people who can't control their eating and lifestyle habits. I rather pay for my defense than have to flip the bill for some 350 lb guy who sits on the couch all day and wonders why he needs to spend money on medical bills for back pain, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.

I didn't say you did.

And I agree with you.

But you have to see my alcoholism, gambling addiction and obesity as a disease like asthma.

You wouldn't say a paraplegic should get out of a wheelchair and walk. But you say an obese person should stop eating! IT'S THE SAME THING!  OBESITY IS A DISEASE. It's even inherited, like gambling addiction. ;-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I didn't say you did.

And I agree with you.

But you have to see my alcoholism, gambling addiction and obesity as a disease like asthma.

You wouldn't say a paraplegic should get out of a wheelchair and walk. But you say an obese person should stop eating! IT'S THE SAME THING!  OBESITY IS A DISEASE. It's even inherited, like gambling addiction. ;-)

Hold on  sec though. What is the treatment for the disease of Obesity? Hold on. The treatment from Obesity is.

Weight Loss = EAT LESS

More Activity = GET OFF THE COUCH

Maybe other medical options if need be. Which means most Obesity can be controlled by having self control and a plan to do so.

From the Mayo Clinic,

Quote:

The initial treatment goal is usually a modest weight loss — 3 to 5 percent of your total weight. That means that if you weigh 200 pounds (91 kg) and are obese by BMI standards, you would need to lose only about 6 to 10 pounds (2.7 to 4.5 kg) for your health to begin to improve. However, the more weight you lose, the greater the benefits.

All weight-loss programs require changes in your eating habits and increased physical activity. The treatment methods that are right for you depend on your level of obesity, your overall health and your willingness to participate in your weight-loss plan.

Other treatment tools include:

• Dietary changes
  • Exercise and activity
  • Behavior change
  • Prescription weight-loss medications
  • Weight-loss surgery

Obesity isn't a paraplegic because an Obese person can get treatment. The odds of walking again after becoming a paraplegic is miracle level odds. The odds of beating obesity are really really good. Don't label Obesity with people who actually can't walk. That isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Same with Asthma. In most cases it needs to be medically treated. It isn't something a lifestyle change can really wipe out for you. A lifestyle change can cure a very high percentage of obese people.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I thought the ;-)  was enough to show I was joking.

I think it's your avatar. He just looks dead serious. ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

The more I post I find there's lots of far right wing nut cases in most of the threads. It's sad but true ;{)

The more I read of your posts, I have similar "nutty" feelings.....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

The more I post I find there's lots of far right wing nut cases in most of the threads. It's sad but true ;{)

As compared to left win nut cases who are anti-business.  There are many socialist countries you can move to today if you do not like capitalism.

Joe Paradiso

As compared to left win nut cases who are anti-business.  There are many socialist countries you can move to today if you do not like capitalism.

Oh how predictable some are when they have nothing to say.

The left wing nut cases are at lease for people

The right wing nut cases are for getting rid of people pathetic but true

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!