IGNORED

Eyes focus during Putting

calcnation
Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am struggling with the flat stick.  The more I work my stroke, the more my eyes watch the putter go back to make sure the stroke is good.  I think this is causing some issues.  Thoughts? Where should eyes be focused during stroke? What do you think of looking at the hole during stroke?

I let me eyes follow the putter sometimes, and it never works out well for me.  My head rotates just slightly, and that tiny movement is enough to produce inconsistent putting, both in quality of contact and in directional control..  When I practice, I specifically practice keeping my eyes still, focused on the ball.  I can't say I watch any specific part of the ball, just the ball.  Others will focus on a aiming point some short distance in front of the ball.  Looking at the hole while you putt should certainly eliminate the temptation to follow the putter back and through.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am struggling with the flat stick.  The more I work my stroke, the more my eyes watch the putter go back to make sure the stroke is good.  I think this is causing some issues.  Thoughts? Where should eyes be focused during stroke? What do you think of looking at the hole during stroke?

I think it's fine to "watch" the stroke while still looking down at the ball but you don't want to focus on the stroke so much that you lose the flow or the dynamics of the stroke.

Have you seen this thread?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll pass on looking at the hole during the stroke, but I certainly like to look at it a lot before I swing, and probably am looking at it the moment before I swing, it is important to me to stare down that drain hole.

I think I look at the ball and my intermediate target line when I swing, and just try to roll the ball that way.

Speed is my primary concern most of the time, I pick my line and that's that, but speed control is where I spend most of my brain power during putting.

• Upvote 1

Iv'e never tried it myself the idea is similar to shooting a 3 pointer you catch and shoot look at the hoop and go. I think it's different in golf though but a few have had some success give it a try you never know. My suggestion to you for the long term is to line the putter up and rotate your head look at the hole then the putter head-then the hole etc... Repeat this process until the line feels true then in your mind make that 12 foot stroke as pre determined and go.

Note: This thread is 3137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!