IGNORED

Backspin on 3 wood

Duff McGee
Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So today I had a 220 yard par 3 where I hit a gripped down 3 wood beautifully into the center of the green. At first I thought it plugged but when I got up there I realized it was just an optical illusion and that my ball had actually spun back about a foot. So my 3 wood produces backspin but even my wedges don't spin back? Isn't this a little disconcerting? Ever since my swing change I am hitting the ball so much better. Yet doesn't putting enough back spin on a 3 woods that it actually backs up on the green an indication of a swing flaw?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So today I had a 220 yard par 3 where I hit a gripped down 3 wood beautifully into the center of the green. At first I thought it plugged but when I got up there I realized it was just an optical illusion and that my ball had actually spun back about a foot. So my 3 wood produces backspin but even my wedges don't spin back? Isn't this a little disconcerting? Ever since my swing change I am hitting the ball so much better. Yet doesn't putting enough back spin on a 3 woods that it actually backs up on the green an indication of a swing flaw?

Is the green severely sloped back to front? Were the conditions really soft? I want to ask these questions first because under normal circumstances and considering the trajectory of a 3 wood (relatively shallow angle of descent), it's hard to imagine a 3-wood getting the RPMs necessary to do what we think of as having a ball check up and spin back.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Is the green severely sloped back to front? Were the conditions really soft? I want to ask these questions first because under normal circumstances and considering the trajectory of a 3 wood (relatively shallow angle of descent), it's hard to imagine a 3-wood getting the RPMs necessary to do what we think of as having a ball check up and spin back.

The green was somewhat wet from the morning dew and it had been plugged and sanded a few weeks ago if that makes any difference. And the shot was a nice high baby draw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkolo

The green was somewhat wet from the morning dew and it had been plugged and sanded a few weeks ago if that makes any difference.

And the shot was a nice high baby draw.

The greens having been recently aerified will make them play softer because there are fewer roots holding it together. Gripping down on the 3 wood would steepen the AoA slighty and create more backspin. Plus it's a par 3 so you get to tee it up which also helps. All in all it sounds like it was just a really good shot.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The greens having been recently aerified will make them play softer because there are fewer roots holding it together. Gripping down on the 3 wood would steepen the AoA slighty and create more backspin. Plus it's a par 3 so you get to tee it up which also helps. All in all it sounds like it was just a really good shot.

Ok thanks dude, that's good to hear.

@Duff McGee , I get this often when there is soft FW, green and I hit higher trajectory shot (can even be a driver).   I checked my spin rate (at Golfsmith launch pad)  and it is all over the place from shot to shot.  I am thinking it happens when I hit a higher trajectory shot with more spin.    If your problem persists, you may want to check it out at Golfsmith near you :-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Nothing wrong with hitting a green with a 3 wood and getting the ball to check.

In my book that's a great shot...

On the other hand, there are several ways to play the 3 wood, draw, fade, low stinger, herd runner, etc.

I suggest you keep that shot in your bag for future play.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!