IGNORED

SGI irons for a 9.9 HI...

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tossing around XCG7 as an idea for an iron set as well as they are down under $300...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I scoured eBay for TEE stuff today lots of deals.

You can say that again XCG6 irons dirt cheap, XCG7 irons like $250, CB ProH as low as $250... I'm either going to get the XCG5, XCG6 or XCG7 irons... I'd get E8's but I'm waiting for the EX-9s to come out to lower the price of the E8s

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

The EX-9 hybrids look promising. Tempted.

Yeah they do, not at a super high price point, they kind of look like the CB Pro U Hybrids... Like I said previously, I'm a bargain hunter, Looking at the XCG5, XCG6, or XCG7, trying to stay under $300 for an iron set. I might wait a little bit, save up some of my hard-earned burger and super melt cooking dollars and get either Hot Launch or E8, custom fit over the winter, so that I have a fresh start in the spring.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

My current index is 10.3 and just got fitted. Was playing Titleist AP1 for the last three years, which I was fitted for back then. Just went in last week with no expectations, just wanted to see what I hit best. For me, the Callaway XRs were by far the best -- a club longer than the rest (a couple TMAG options, a Mizuno cavity back, Ping G30, and newer AP1). With regard to your budget, maybe you could find some used on eBay. Obviously would recommend hitting some at a golf retailer first.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

If you get true SGI irons, be careful of what shafts you get - stock shafts may not be what you want.

Back circa 2009, I was completely redoing my bag, mainly moving from stiff to regular shafts. In the SGI range, I tried the Ping G10, for Callaway the (first wave) Big Berthas and the X20 irons. The stock shafts for the G10 and the BB just lanched the ball too high. The X20s, on the other hand, had the Uniflex shaft that had a mid-kickpoint: the SGI head + midkick shaft worked much better.

I'm sure you would get fitted for the SGI, so be careful about getting "too much lift" in high launch shafts. 

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

If you get true SGI irons, be careful of what shafts you get - stock shafts may not be what you want.

Back circa 2009, I was completely redoing my bag, mainly moving from stiff to regular shafts. In the SGI range, I tried the Ping G10, for Callaway the (first wave) Big Berthas and the X20 irons. The stock shafts for the G10 and the BB just lanched the ball too high. The X20s, on the other hand, had the Uniflex shaft that had a mid-kickpoint: the SGI head + midkick shaft worked much better.

I'm sure you would get fitted for the SGI, so be careful about getting "too much lift" in high launch shafts. 

+1, WUTiger... I'm tempted to try to find a shaft with a mid-to-low launch. I can play a GI head (I play the CU's now)... The XCG-7 actually looks the most traditional of the clubs within my budget. SGI wise I'm thinking XCG-5 or XCG-6, I just need the right shaft...

The only brand I would "cheat" on my beloved Exotics clubs with is Adams... I hit the crap out of the GT-2's when I had them... I hear the a12's are really forgiving, just not one who wants 7-iron as my longest iron...

So that being said, Which Exotics model would you guys recommend? (Dave2512 and WUTiger) 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

It's only cheating if the clubs aren't legal for some reason. Use what works best for you and helps you enjoy the game.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

I love my Exotics CU irons do not get me wrong... I hit them well (but shorter than I want sometimes)... 

The Dynalite 90 shafts, according to posters on other sites, hit the ball quite high. That's one of the things which helps distance, up to a point. A couple of questions:

• Do your shots still have decent height?
  • Are you actually ballooning the shots, rather than losing height?

If your ball is getting lower, you might soft-step the Dynalite 90s in you current CU irons. A 1/3 step more flexible could help you move through the ball better.

If you are ballooning your shots, you might hard-step the Dynalite 90s to stiffen them a bit. If your swing is stronger as you approach single-digit HDCP, you may be hitting the ball more squarely and with more power.

Finally, if you still have decent height and are not ballooning your shots, maybe you have a swing flaw that's creeped in. A lesson could tell you if you have any set-up or motion problems.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

The Dynalite 90 shafts, according to posters on other sites, hit the ball quite high. That's one of the things which helps distance, up to a point. A couple of questions:

• Do your shots still have decent height?
  • Are you actually ballooning the shots, rather than losing height?

If your ball is getting lower, you might soft-step the Dynalite 90s in you current CU irons. A 1/3 step more flexible could help you move through the ball better.

If you are ballooning your shots, you might hard-step the Dynalite 90s to stiffen them a bit. If your swing is stronger as you approach single-digit HDCP, you may be hitting the ball more squarely and with more power.

Finally, if you still have decent height and are not ballooning your shots, maybe you have a swing flaw that's creeped in. A lesson could tell you if you have any set-up or motion problems.

I hit moon balls with EVERY club in my bag... Driver all the way down to SW... I hit it high with my V-Blades but I'd hit a 7-iron 160 yards consistently, My CU's I'm lucky to get that on a great shot, my V-Blades have S400 with a 1" extension in them (Those V-Blades will go to the grave with me, or Alina will get them)... and the 7-iron is 3 degrees stronger with my CU's than the V-Blades.

Im thinking its a I'm ballooning it job, might just need stiffer shafts... An SGI head would help with the mis-hits... Thinking maybe the XCG-6 with True Temper XP105 in stiff, might be in order. The funny thing is when I played Snake Eyes Viper Tour irons 3 years ago, I hit my 7-iron further than I hit my 6-iron now, I was just coming off of my accident then and thought the Acculite 95 shafts were a huge help...

I do work against myself in the setup sometimes, I need to get the toe up off the ground a smidge more than I do... 

I'm not looking for "TOUR" distance with my irons just around 160-165 with my 7-iron instead of basically 150-155 now...

Current iron distances:
4-iron: 180-185 (when I hit it, which is rarely)

5-iron: 175
6-iron: 163
7-iron: 152
8-iron: 142
9-iron: 132
PW: 122
AW: 100
SW: can't hit it full really only use around the green out to about 60 yards, I'm scared of this club.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

The Dynalites were basically a high-launch version of the TT Dynamic Gold line.

I had the older, circa 120 gram Dynalite stiffs in component irons I played from 1994 to 2008. When I had more clubhead speed, I had trouble ballooning the ball from 8i up through PW. This was a problem in high winds down in Oklahoma.

If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have had the 7i on up hardstepped.

Remember, the shaft (with weight, flex and launch point) works together with head to determine how high the ball flies. You might try a KBS Tour-V stiff (110 grams, mid launch) and see how this works. (I don't know how much the Dynalite 90 weighs, for comparison).

The Dynalites were basically a high-launch version of the TT Dynamic Gold line.

I had the older, circa 120 gram Dynalite stiffs in component irons I played from 1994 to 2008. When I had more clubhead speed, I had trouble ballooning the ball from 8i up through PW. This was a problem in high winds down in Oklahoma.

If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have had the 7i on up hardstepped.

Remember, the shaft (with weight, flex and launch point) works together with head to determine how high the ball flies. You might try a KBS Tour-V stiff (110 grams, mid launch) and see how this works. (I don't know how much the Dynalite 90 weighs, for comparison).

Dynalite 90 are 92 grams in stiff.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I hated the DL90, yanked them after hitting about 20 balls at the range. Felt like swinging a noodle. I have no idea what shaft head combo works for anyone but for me the perfect combo in the CU's was the KBS C-Taper. I play the KBS Tour in my 588's and I like that too.

My suggestion is anyone that thinks they hit the ball too high should get on a launch monitor to confirm it. My experience is most that think that are basing it on comparisons to how high other amateurs hit it, which is usually lower than optimal even with swing flaws like a flip.

I once thought I hit it too high. At my first lesson where the pro had FlightScope one of the first things he told me after the interview and watching me hit a few balls was we needed to work on hitting the ball higher. I was surprised but FS told a different story. My then too high was about 12 feet lower than my current average apex.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I hated the DL90, yanked them after hitting about 20 balls at the range. Felt like swinging a noodle. I have no idea what shaft head combo works for anyone but for me the perfect combo in the CU's was the KBS C-Taper. I play the KBS Tour in my 588's and I like that too.

My suggestion is anyone that thinks they hit the ball too high should get on a launch monitor to confirm it. My experience is most that think that are basing it on comparisons to how high other amateurs hit it, which is usually lower than optimal even with swing flaws like a flip.

I once thought I hit it too high. At my first lesson where the pro had FlightScope one of the first things he told me after the interview and watching me hit a few balls was we needed to work on hitting the ball higher. I was surprised but FS told a different story. My then too high was about 12 feet lower than my current average apex.

OK,  we have figured out that the shafts I'm playing are too light... But if I get something a little heavier, I still am wondering which head to play XCG7 irons are down to $200. Are they maybe what I'm looking for?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I found an absolute steal on TEE E8's today on Budget Golf for $270. Considering everyone else is still selling them at $600... I jumped on it... I'll get them some time next week... Once I can get out and hit them I'll let you know how it goes...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!