IGNORED

Scottsdale Courses

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Flight was cancelled today, don't arrive until tomorrow.  Killing the golf for the trip.  When did flying become such a pain.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now delayed in Dallas Ft Worth, apparently American Airlines doesn't want us to get to Phoenix.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Now delayed in Dallas Ft Worth, apparently American Airlines doesn't want us to get to Phoenix.  

Sorry to hear about the rough travel. 

Trollin' is the life

Back to VA from Phoenix.  The bad, the flight out sucked, cancelled flight, then a delayed flight, suppose to get to Phoenix Saturday morning, arrived Sunday afternoon.  The good, the golf was great and the resort was fantastic as well.

And was it ever hot, 108 on Tuesday and 113 on Wednesday when we played Quintero, which ended up being my favorite of the courses I played.  

Sunday afternoon, we played the Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa.  Great layout but they had just reopened, so the greens were really slow and spongy.  Played the tips with my buddies (6966 Yds, 72/137), played really well.  Course was tough, but fair. We joined them on the back 9 and I started out really well, was 1 over par until a double on the 507 Yd Par 4 18th hole.  Great drive and still had 240 left to flag, pulled 3 wood into desert, unplayable lie, just missed my bogey putt.  Front 9 was even better, was -1 going to No. 9, which is a 127 yd par 3, which of course I missed  but ended with even par 36, so a smooth 36-39-75 2 birdies and 1 double.  

Monday was Troon North, the Pinnacle Course.  nice course, but probably my least favorite of the courses I played.  I might have liked it better if they hadn't just sanded the greens and the fairways were in a little better shape.  Played the Championship tees (6645 Yds, 71.1/137) and shot 38-39-77.  2 doubles and only 1 birdie.  Just couldn't make a putt.   

Wasn't going to play Tuesday, but because of the flight fiasco, we decided to play in the afternoon at the resort we were at.  So we played the Wildfire - Palmer course.  Played the tips again (7145 Yds, 72.5, 140), 36-41-77.  1 birdie and 2 doubles again.  Really liked this course, not sure why it doesn't get better ratings, liked it better than Troon North.  Most holes you had lots of room, so it wasn't such a target golf course, but there were some long carries to get to the fairways from the back tees. 

Wednesday afternoon, 113 degree heat, we played Quintero Golf Club.  I would recommend this course to anyone.  This to me would be a must play course in the phoenix area.  Layout was fantastic, course was in the best shape of the ones I played.  Played the Gold tees (6845 Yds, 92.9/143) and played very well on the front.  Had it going, not sure if the heat got to me on the back but 33-43-76.  3 birdies on the front and 3 doubles on the back.  

Desert courses, you just can't miss the fairways and expect to make a good score.  Quintero and Troon North were the most penal for missing the fairways.  

Regardless of the heat, the courses were a lot of fun to play.  Look forward to going back and playing some of the other courses.

• Like 1

-Jerry

• 2 months later...

We are headed out to AZ in February for our annual winter golf trip. We start in the Phoenix and play one round when we get off the plane before heading to Ak-Chin to play 36 then on to Tucson. The past couple years I have picked a couple of stinkers for the off the plane round. Any suggestions for a good course near the airport. Preferably on the way to Ak-chin but not necessary.

Thanks!! 

Here's a whole thread on Scottsdale/Phoenix courses.

-Jerry

I get down to the Phoenix are 3 or 4 times a year and golf everytime.   it all really depends on what time of year you go.  If its summer, you can get on anywhere for a decent price.  If it's winter you've got to look around to find something decent and affordable.  

without regard to price, my favorites are: 

Greyhawk (both courses equally)
Wi-ko-pa (both courses equally)
Troon North (monument)
Gold Canyon (Dinosaur).  --to be fair though, the greens at Gold Canyon are not in the same shape as the others, but it is cheaper---
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

I don't hate TPC, but I probably wouldn't play it again.  too many better courses for similar price down there.  

If I go in peak season, I like Longbow in Mesa, for an affordable course. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Aaron from Baltimore said:

We are headed out to AZ in February for our annual winter golf trip. We start in the Phoenix and play one round when we get off the plane before heading to Ak-Chin to play 36 then on to Tucson. The past couple years I have picked a couple of stinkers for the off the plane round. Any suggestions for a good course near the airport. Preferably on the way to Ak-chin but not necessary.

Thanks!! 

Raven or Legacy are popular for that. My favorite course is as close to the airport as it gets and it's a muni that is ASU's home track. PAPAGO

Trollin' is the life

• 1 month later...

We are going in November and plan to play

Talking Stick North,

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro

Troon North Monument

Quintero

TPC Stadium

Grayhawk Raptor

Ak Chin

and one of Boulders North, Raven, Wigwam Gold or Apache Stronghold.

I think that should give us a nice overview.

16 hours ago, Chanceman said:

We are going in November and plan to play

Talking Stick North,

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro

Troon North Monument

Quintero

TPC Stadium

Grayhawk Raptor

Ak Chin

and one of Boulders North, Raven, Wigwam Gold or Apache Stronghold.

I think that should give us a nice overview.

That is a good lineup. You will be happy and you may need to stop off at http://jerrysgolfballs.com though.

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!